Seitan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Potatotarian

I made some today.  I have never made it before, or eaten it even, so I didn't know what to expect.  Every recipe was different, but the liquid/gluten amounts and cooking methods were all about the same.  I took an idea from a youtube video where instead of using premade veggie broth, you put a bunch of veggies in a pot, bring it to a boil, and back to a simmer, then cook the seitan in that.  I mixed gluten with various spices, added water and soy sauce, kneaded it for a few minutes, let sit for a few minutes, then cut into pieces, dropped in the water and veggies, covered it and let simmer for an hour.

Yick.  lol  

It was like eating fat mixed with rubber.  Weird stuff.

So I heated some coconut oil and fried a couple pieces, so much better!  It was very good this way.  

So I was wondering.  Can I skip the simmering step and just fry it?  I'm not afraid of fat, and think coconut oil is a very healthy food.

Does it need the simmering step to "puff up", or will the oil do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
 Can I skip the simmering step and just fry it?

Sure. In Chinese this is called you mian jin (油炸麵筋). Just drop chunks of your raw dough into the hot oil - no need to simmer it or anything beforehand.

I rarely simmer gluten. Too fiddly and prone to rubbery disaster smiley.gif. I bake or steam my gluten. Technically it's not seitan  if it's not simmered, but in everyday real life the end product is called seitan regardless.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Sorry about double posting but I just stumbled on this recipe from Institute for the  Advancement of the Science and Art of Chinese Cuisine:

Ingredients:
1/2 pound gluten, torn in small pieces
3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
2 Tablespoons rice wine
1 Tablespoon sweet bean paste
1 slice fresh ginger, minced
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
Preparation:
1. Boil gluten in two quarts of water for five minutes, then drain and discard the water.
2. Heat oil and fry the gluten for two minutes then add all the rest of the ingredients. Simmer them for fifteen minutes or until all the liquid evaporates. Serve hot or warm.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Potatotarian

Directly frying it didn't work so well. It puffed up in the oil and the end result was a lot like pork rinds.

I tried simmering for a few minutes and got the same result. So I guess I'll simmer for an hour, then fry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page