What's All The Talk About B-12? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Beginner

B-12! That's right, you hear about it's high volumes in meats, but how do vegans and vegetarians get the right amount?

Check out an excerpt: "A lot of times when someone first goes vegan or vegetarian, whether it’s themselves or someone else, the common question comes up: where will I/you get the nutrients I need from foods that I’d normally get from animal products? A prime example of this is B-12. Keep in mind that this vitamin can also be called: cobrynamide, cobinamide, cobamide, cobalamin, hydroxcobalamin, aquocobalamin, nitrotocobalamin, and cyanocobalamin.

And as we know, B-12 is primarily found in animal products like meats like fish, beef, cheese and eggs, but did you know that there are alternatives ways of receiving an equal, if not higher quality amount?

Here are some alternatives sources for B-12:

•       Grape Nuts
  • ·      Fortified cereals
  •  
  • ·      Nutritional yeast
  •  
  • ·      Fortified soymilk (one cup has half the daily recommendations!)
  •  
  • ·      Fortified tofu
  •  
  • ·      Fortified soy products·
  •  
  •  
  • ·      Sea Vegetables"

I thought it was pretty helpful and hopefully you do, too! To check out the full blog go here.

LadyJane1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM

Yes,Thank you for posting this!Very interesting because sometimes forget to buy nutritional yeast so this would be a good reference for me.thumbsup.gif

#3 Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 PM
Beginner

No problem! Glad it helped :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Meat eaters are also at risk because of both absorbtion problems and because of what food animals are fed.

They be more at risk because they feel they're getting it.

If you don't supplement check for B12 in foods the way you'd check for animal ingrediants!

I'm used to getting at least 30% from a cup of soymilk, but I got a bunch of Pearl organic soymilk at a great discount and found it doesn't have any! Oh well, I still take Deva B12 a couple times a week.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#5 Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailei View Post

And as we know, B-12 is primarily found in animal products like meats like fish, beef, cheese and eggs, but did you know that there are alternatives ways of receiving an equal, if not higher quality amount?
Here are some alternatives sources for B-12:
  •       Grape Nuts
  • ·      Fortified cereals
  •  
  • ·      Nutritional yeast
  •  
  • ·      Fortified soymilk (one cup has half the daily recommendations!)
  •  
  • ·      Fortified tofu
  •  
  • ·      Fortified soy products·
These foods are all fortified with b-12 (cyanocobalamin), they aren't natural sources, as a result its no higher in quality than what is found in supplements.

Vegans should take a b12 supplement, its the best way to ensure that you're meeting your b12 needs.
#6 Old 04-05-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

These foods are all fortified with b-12 (cyanocobalamin), they aren't natural sources, as a result its no higher in quality than what is found in supplements.

Vegans should take a b12 supplement, its the best way to ensure that you're meeting your b12 needs.

I have a 400% daily value for b12 on my multivitamin plus I do drink almond milk and use nutritional yeast.Do you think it's enough?

#7 Old 04-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane1 View Post

I have a 400% daily value for b12 on my multivitamin plus I do drink almond milk and use nutritional yeast.Do you think it's enough?
Yes, that should be enough. The multivitamin by itself should be enough , but the 400% is bit deceptive since the body can only absorb a relatively small amount of b12 at a time. So the fortified foods can just be "insurance", ideally you would consume the vitamin and fortified foods at different times of the day.

But those not taking a multivitamin should take a 500~1000 mcg or more supplement a few times a week. There are also drops you can buy, put a drop in your morning and nighttime drink and you're good to go.
LadyJane1 likes this.
#8 Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post

Yes, that should be enough. The multivitamin by itself should be enough

Thanks,Logic!I am always changing my multivitamin so I just like to check around and be sure what I'm taking and doing is correct.thumbsup.gif

#9 Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Details about B12 from a Registered Dietician: http://veganhealth.org/articles/vitaminb12

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page