Egg substitute in casserole - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't been eating breakfast lately, nothing sounds good. I decided to search on Pinterest and found a few casseroles. I'm craving green chili casserole, but every recipe uses egg. I can veganize everything but the egg. I know how to substitute in baking, but not in this. I don't want to have to order a substitute online, I need a substitute I can get at the grocery store.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2005/08/zucchini-and-green-chile-breakfast.html?m=1

I was thinking about mixing silken tofu with soy milk or something like that. Would it work in this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM

Replacing that many eggs is asking a lot even with tofu. Maybe a thick cashew cream that would semi-solidify during baking would approach the consistency of the dish but if it was me, I'd prepare all the other ingredients and stir them into polenta. Then let it set, and broil the top. Yumm.

#3 Old 03-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Riot Nrrrd

That casserole looks like a frittata to me. You could probably get a successful result using Chef Chloe's  End-of-summer Fritatta as a model but using the veg from the casserole adjusting quantities and seasoning as necessary. Chloe uses silken tofu and corn starch to mimic the binding (and other) properties of eggs in egg-based frittatas.

jpaul's polenta idea sounds tasty. It would be much more to my tastes, but of course YMMV.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

I think I'll try Chloe's version and modify it. Thanks for posting, you two!

#5 Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a breakfast meal I keep intending to make! Another egg free egg dish, but using chickpea flour instead of tofu to replace the egg - this has green chille in (you might want to increase the amount), I reckon you could easily sub courgettes for the mushrooms. Don't know what it would be like baked, it's cooked in a pan on the hob:

http://www.chocolateandbeyond.co.uk/2012/11/recipes-mushroom-spring-onion-chilli-omelette.html

And also here: http://vegan-magic.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/vegan-omelette.html

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#6 Old 03-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

That looks interesting! I want to try it. I'll try that one too sometime soon. I need to buy some new chickpea flour though, mine is at least 3 years old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page