No immersion blender. Problem? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I really would like to try the recipe for Penne Vodka (p. 193) from the Veganomicon, but the recipe calls for an immersion blender to blend sliced almonds into the sauce as it's on the stove. I do not have such a contraption, and I have never made a sauce with nuts before (just foraying into vegan cooking really). Does anyone have any suggestions? Could I just blend the almonds in some water beforehand and add that to the sauce? I do have a normal blender, though it is not terribly powerful. Or, does anyone else have a good recipe for Penne Vodka?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I really would like to try the recipe for Penne Vodka (p. 193) from the Veganomicon, but the recipe calls for an immersion blender to blend sliced almonds into the sauce as it's on the stove. I do not have such a contraption, and I have never made a sauce with nuts before (just foraying into vegan cooking really). Does anyone have any suggestions? Could I just blend the almonds in some water beforehand and add that to the sauce? I do have a normal blender, though it is not terribly powerful. Or, does anyone else have a good recipe for Penne Vodka?

Have you soaked the almonds? Or pour boiling water over the almonds and let that sit for a little bit? Should soften them up even for a weaker blender.

You can scoop out a little of the sauce, blend it with the almonds in your blender, and then put that back in with the rest of the sauce, giving it a really good stir.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#3 Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

Have you soaked the almonds? Or pour boiling water over the almonds and let that sit for a little bit? Should soften them up even for a weaker blender.

You can scoop out a little of the sauce, blend it with the almonds in your blender, and then put that back in with the rest of the sauce, giving it a really good stir.

That's a decent idea. I haven't done anything yet, because I was sure if I should attempt the recipe without the proper equipment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Coffee grinders are really good at grinding nuts: just put a small amount of nuts in the coffee grinder at a time, and then pulse a few times untill it has a floury texture!

I once tried to blend nuts in a brand new blender, and in seconds it was smoking! As it turns out, it was a liquid blender; whoops! rolleyes.gif

dormouse likes this.

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

#5 Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

i've made a recipe like that before. i used a food processor to grind the nuts and then making them into a paste with some water.

but, i also like this recipe
http://www.8cpassport.com/2010/02/cupid%E2%80%99s-8th-continent-12-days-of-valentines-day-7/
dormouse likes this.
#6 Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM

I blend nuts (mostly cashews) in my blender all the time to make nut "cheeses" spreads (just did tonight in fact) and I've never had an issue other than not being able to get it perfectly smooth. I'm not sure if it works in all blenders though. Mine's an Osterizer and can chop ice...so maybe not a weaker blender?

This won't help you if you want to make the recipe tonight or something, but I was actually just looking up immersion blenders because I am tired of batch-blending hot soups in my blender and I discovered you can actually get a decent one for fairly cheap. I expected them to be like $80+ or something but there are good ones for $30.

dormouse likes this.
#7 Old 01-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, all! I may try that 8th continent recipe instead, because I would like some experience using nutritional yeast.

#8 Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM

Nutritional yeast is awesome. I was an avid cheese fan and now I just dump nooch in anything I want to have a "cheesy" flavor.

#9 Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Give peas a chance

I think I've seen in other recipes of hers that she says if you don't have an immersion blender, you can let the sauce cool, put it in a regular blender, then put it back in the pot to reheat it. You don't want to put hot liquid in a regular blender, which is why the immersion blender is handy.

dormouse likes this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#10 Old 01-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I think I've seen in other recipes of hers that she says if you don't have an immersion blender, you can let the sauce cool, put it in a regular blender, then put it back in the pot to reheat it. You don't want to put hot liquid in a regular blender, which is why the immersion blender is handy.

Thanks, Mojo. By the way,  I've been looking at your blog a lot recently while deciding which of Isa's recipes to make next. The visual is very helpful/enticing. You do a great job!

#11 Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Give peas a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Thanks, Mojo. By the way,  I've been looking at your blog a lot recently while deciding which of Isa's recipes to make next. The visual is very helpful/enticing. You do a great job!

Thank you. I'm glad it is useful.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page