Throat irritation after drinking warmed soy milk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM

For the past week I've noticed that about half an hour after I have drunk my evening cup of cocoa made with soy milk my throat starts to get scratchy. This persists for an hour or so.

I suspect perhaps I have developed a mild allergic reaction to soy, even though I have been drinking soy milk for several months and this has never occurred until recently.

The other strange thing is that I don't seem to have the same reaction after eating oats with soy milk for breakfast, or when I have soy milk in my coffee.

Could it be something to do with warming the soy milk up for cocoa, or might it be a matter of quantity (i.e. I drink more soy milk in my cup of cocoa than I have on my oats)?

Any thoughts/insights would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I have a soymilk allergy. I can handle tofu just fine though, just not raw soy.

I have read that cooking/ soy sometimes burns off a protein that makes people react to it (which would explain my own tolerance to tofu.) Though that may not be the case for you, or you may be allergic to one that isn't the one that is burned off.

Also yes, quantity could be a factor. When I drank my first cup of soymilk, I had a bad stomach ache and scratchy throat. I figured I had an allergy then, so like a few days later I decided to try it again, with a larger quantity just to make sure. I had a HORRIBLE stomach ache, to the point where I thought I might have needed to go to the doctor. Eventually, I assume after my body just flushed and processed it out of my stomach, my system calmed down. So yeah, maybe try different quantities and see. Have small quantities though.

But yeah, or just not bother with it at all like me and stay away from soymilk. I drink rice, almond, or coconut milk smiley.gif You can also get tested by a doctor for allergies if you wanna know for sure.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 12-17-2012, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I get an itchy throat seconds after I drink microwaved hot chocolate with coconut milk, not with soya milk, but I can consume coconut milk without the irritation on cereals or in tea and even in meals where it has been cooked! I never microwaved cocoa with dairy milk when I used to drink it, so I don't know whether making hot chocolate this way is the problem or not!

The main ingedients in plant milks are usually water, soya/coconut/whatever ingredient you want to make milk from, sugar, salt and vitamins, and cocoa powder if you're making hot chocolate, and unless you can't tolerate any of those things in the rest of the stuff you eat, I wouldn't think that it's the ingredients themselves, but maybe the way they have been cooked!

It's a weird problem, so I would probably just drink hot chocolate with another type of milk, or test for a soya allergy for the benefit of the doubt like 4everaspirit said!

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM

4everaspirit & Ewe Nanny: Thanks both for your feedback. It may well be a case of quantity and cooking/heating method causing a reaction. That's really interesting Ewe Nanny what you said about microwaving possibly being a factor, because I do microwave the milk as opposed to warming on the stove (probably worth experimenting with that to see if it makes a difference).

I think I will also start buying other milk alternatives more often. Where I live (in the UK) though soy milk is always the cheapest alternative, but hey ho!

#5 Old 12-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I have a soymilk allergy. I can handle tofu just fine though, just not raw soy.
I have read that cooking/ soy sometimes burns off a protein that makes people react to it (which would explain my own tolerance to tofu.) Though that may not be the case for you, or you may be allergic to one that isn't the one that is burned off.

This confuses me because everything I've known about tofu is that is simply soymilk that a coagulant is added and the whey separates from curds. The curds are then pressed in molds. I don't know of any additional cooking.

I've made tofu and that's exactly what I did using magnesium sulphate (epsom salts).

I wonder if there's something in the whey that's different from the curds?

I would like to hear comments on the microwave factor. Mine had died, and I succumbed to buying another!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 12-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

This confuses me because everything I've known about tofu is that is simply soymilk that a coagulant is added and the whey separates from curds. The curds are then pressed in molds. I don't know of any additional cooking.
I've made tofu and that's exactly what I did using magnesium sulphate (epsom salts).

I wonder if there's something in the whey that's different from the curds?

I would like to hear comments on the microwave factor. Mine had died, and I succumbed to buying another!

Woah wait. Whey? Isn't that non vegan? Or is whey some type of soy protein as well? o.O I dunno, I can handle tofu just fine, but not soymilk. I tend to eat only cooked tofu, but I'm still okay usually if I eat uncooked tofu. Maybe it's the processing that does something to it. I dunno.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#7 Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I doubt this could be an allergy if it only occurs with warm and not cold soymilk. Maybe it is the chocolate? What do you use to make your hot chocolate? My husband says that Hershey's syrup burns his throat, but I think that is more immediate. If you are drinking it too hot, that might be irritating as well, but would likely hurt going down, not just afterward.

The other thought is that you might have some post-nasal drip. Warm beverages does tend to make your nose run, and that could be irritating. Have you tried any other warm drinks like coffee, tea, or warm cider? Another potential association is if you are drinking hot chocolate after coming in from outdoors--maybe the temperature change or dry air is causing irritation.
#8 Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I agree ^^ Maybe it's the chocolate. Do a test: try having the drink with almond milk one night. You can get a container for about $3.

#9 Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I doubt this could be an allergy if it only occurs with warm and not cold soymilk. Maybe it is the chocolate? What do you use to make your hot chocolate? My husband says that Hershey's syrup burns his throat, but I think that is more immediate. If you are drinking it too hot, that might be irritating as well, but would likely hurt going down, not just afterward.
The other thought is that you might have some post-nasal drip. Warm beverages does tend to make your nose run, and that could be irritating. Have you tried any other warm drinks like coffee, tea, or warm cider? Another potential association is if you are drinking hot chocolate after coming in from outdoors--maybe the temperature change or dry air is causing irritation.

I use different types of cocoa/hot chocolate from time to time but have experienced the scratchy throat when drinking both Green & Black's hot chocolate and Cadbury Bourneville cocoa. I don't think it's the chocolate as I've never had any adverse effect to chocolate/cocoa in all the years I've been eating it, and when I used to drink cow's milk and made hot chocolate with the Cadbury Bourneville cocoa I didn't have the scratchy throat.

Also, the irritation has only been occurring recently, i.e. before when drinking warmed soy milk drinks I was fine. However I believe it is possible for allergies to develop "out of the blue" or at different times in one's life. Having said that, I have been a non-dairy vegetarian for several months not years, so possibly I'm just drinking too much soy milk (but I love the stuff!) and my system is finally protesting a little.

I don't think it's a case of burnt throat from the beverage being hot because as you say, you would know you're burning yourself when drinking it. And also it's that kind of scratchy irritation like just before you get a cold, which is different to if you've scalded your throat.

Interesting thought about the post-nasal drip though as I do suffer from perpetual rhinitis, but I don't get the scratchiness from drinking other warm beverages, even coffee/tea with soy milk. But then that might be the quantity factor as obviously you don't use so much milk in tea/coffee as you do in cocoa.

#10 Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I agree ^^ Maybe it's the chocolate. Do a test: try having the drink with almond milk one night. You can get a container for about $3.

Yeah, I am definitely going to get some other milk alternatives. I have made cocoa with almond milk before with no ill effects, but then I've only recently had the reaction to soy. Think I will mix it up and buy other "milks" if only for hot chocolate purposes.

#11 Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Woah wait. Whey? Isn't that non vegan? Or is whey some type of soy protein as well? o.O I dunno, I can handle tofu just fine, but not soymilk. I tend to eat only cooked tofu, but I'm still okay usually if I eat uncooked tofu. Maybe it's the processing that does something to it. I dunno.

Here's exactly how I made tofu - only these are better instructions!

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Tofu/#step1

They don't the separted liquid "whey", although I'm sure the directions I used did. I don't know if that's the correct term or not because now I can't find it used anywhere! Whey is the liquid that separates from dairy milk when cheese is made though...

I wonder now if it could be the coagulant used? There are a lot of different ones--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu

I don't know, just curious. I do find each brand tastes somewhat different.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#12 Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Just to update on this thread, I have been making hot chocolate with rice milk for a few days and suffer no throat irritation whatsoever. Reckon it must be a mild soya allergy.

#13 Old 12-26-2012, 06:07 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Lotus View Post

Just to update on this thread, I have been making hot chocolate with rice milk for a few days and suffer no throat irritation whatsoever. Reckon it must be a mild soya allergy.

That's great. Chocolate rice milk sounds delicious right now!!

#14 Old 12-27-2012, 02:25 PM

I have been experiencing the same thing so i began looking for some info. I drink the soy milk with chocolate and it gives me a scratchy throat, feels kinda like i'm catching a cold. i don't like it much. any ideas why?

#15 Old 12-27-2012, 02:47 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindale View Post

I have been experiencing the same thing so i began looking for some info. I drink the soy milk with chocolate and it gives me a scratchy throat, feels kinda like i'm catching a cold. i don't like it much. any ideas why?

Maybe you have a slight allergy to it like me. I remember getting a scratchy throat at first when I would drink it. Then a bad stomach ache.

#16 Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindale View Post

I have heard that an ingredient extracted from seaweeds called carrageenan is often the culprit. It is often used as a thickener in soy milk and some other milk alternatives.

I used to have problems with soy milk but was fine with any other soy product. Turned out it didn't matter if it had carrageenan in it or not, I still got ill after drinking it. The only milk alternative that worked for me was rice dream rice milk. This was a few years ago though, I can now drink any milk alternative I want, even the ones that used to make me sick. Not sure what the problem was.

I would suggest trying rice milk because it seems to be the most tolerable and, in my opinion, tastes fantastic, though it may be an acquired taste so don't give up on it if you don't like it at first. It worked for me and Crystal Lotus. If you want you can try soy milk down the road. Who knows, maybe you will be able to tolerate it sometime in the future.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”
-Leo Tolstoy

#17 Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM

I have just started drinking hot chocolate with a new brand of cocoa powder. i also get a scratchy throat right after using it-and i add no milk-soy or otherwise-i use water. maybe i am somewhat allergic to the new brand of cocoa. i have never had this reaction with other brands of cocoa powders.
#18 Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 PM

Also want to mention that i microwave the cocoa/hot chocolate-which has 5 packets of Splenda (artificial sweetener) added to it.  i sometimes add a small amount of regular milk ro it but lately i have not added any milk.  with or without the added milk, i still get the scratchy throat.

#19 Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Could it be the Splenda?

#20 Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM

So, that's why i drink only regular warm milk that is Cow milk Toned and pasteurized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
http://www.bharatbook.com/countryReports.asp
#21 Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajswara View Post

I have heard that an ingredient extracted from seaweeds called carrageenan is often the culprit. It is often used as a thickener in soy milk and some other milk alternatives.

This

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page