Need Vegetarian or Vegan Recipes - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 PM

I do not know if this is the right thread. So my apologies if it is not. 

I try to cook for my mom. It goes horribly. She does not like anything I cook her basically. She is so picky. 

Does anybody have good vegaterian recipies or vegan ones. 

She is a meat eater, and eats ice cream and pizza every night for dinner.  

I want her to get off of that. So anybody have any good recipies they like to share. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Give peas a chance

Does SHE want to eat veg, and why are you cooking for her? Personally, I wouldn't waste my energy making meals for someone who dumps on my cooking. I think it's especially difficult trying to please someone who's food aesthetic hasn't matured beyond the junk food stage.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#3 Old 10-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Would you like to get your Mum to eat more healthily? Are you concerned for her health due to health problems she currently has or health problems you fear she may develop? Is she overweight? I imagine a diet of pizza and ice-cream may cause both excess weight AND nutritional deficiencies. A lot of illnesses are associated to being overweight, and diet is the principle culprit. You might want to help educate her if she doesn't realise the health risks she's taking with such a junk food lifestyle.

My suggestion is to sit down with her to watch Forks Over Knives. If you haven't seen it already, it's a film about the food industry - meat and dairy in particular - and how the typical Western diet has a really bad effect on so many people's health in many ways. You should be able to hire it or find it out there to watch on the web someplace.

I think, unfortunately, she's got to make up her own mind to change her diet, for herself, and not because you want her too - even if you feel it would be good for her. Education may help her to make her own better choices rather than pressurising her to change. 

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Banned

Findingvegan.com
#5 Old 10-25-2012, 08:16 AM

That was not very nice Mojo. I care about her greatly. And care for her about her health. 

---

She is overweight. And not very healthy. I love sandwiches from whole foods so we get them together. The only thing she gets on her sandwich is cheese, and salami. No veggies. I'm really worried about her. 

Thank you for the great response. I am going to have mom and I watch the movie. 

----

What a great website. Everything looks so good. 

#6 Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM

OP:  I feel your struggle.  I've been vegan for over a year and I've lost 80 lbs.  My mom is obese, diabetic, and has a ton of other health problems.  I've been trying to get her to eat better and she has started "trying", but it just doesn't seem to be as important to her.  The things I cook and think are the most delicious things ever...she hates them and turns her nose up at it.  Forks over Knives is a great movie to watch.  Also, try reading the book "Skinny *****" - it has a lot of foul language in it, but it's very straight forward about food and the "junk" we tend to put in our bodies without thinking about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Does SHE want to eat veg, and why are you cooking for her? Personally, I wouldn't waste my energy making meals for someone who dumps on my cooking. I think it's especially difficult trying to please someone who's food aesthetic hasn't matured beyond the junk food stage.

Mojo does have a point.  It is extremely difficult to get someone to enjoy a tofu sandwich when they are used to McDonalds or Pizza Hut.  Their taste buds will be different.  Mine definitely changed over time as I stopped eating omni.  It does tend to offend me when she thinks that something I cook is disgusting - especially when my husband, kids, and even my dad loves it.  So I've stopped trying to get her to like a whole meal.  Instead, I point her towards healthier choices - grape kombucha versus grape koolaid, earth balance butter versus regular butter, etc.  She has lost some weight, but it's a lot slower process than the results I had.  I just want her to keep going and get healthier so she potentially lives a long time!

I lost 130 pounds by changing my diet.  Check out the details here:  

http://www.jimisitko.com/wordpress/tonyas-blog/

#7 Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Hi Neodr. I know it can be frustrating when loved ones don't see the light ! This article has a few good ideas for feeding vegan masks to meat eaters. http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/09/01/20-delicious-vegan-meals-recipes-that-dont-suck/
#8 Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Dear God, not vegan masks, but meals! I guess my auto correct knows it is close to Halloween! tongue3.gif:o
#9 Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Sorry about triple posting, I can't edit from my phone. This article by Jennifer c on vb has some great tips! http://www.growingagreenfamily.com/vegetarian-meals-for-meat-lovers-or-reluctant-vegetarians/
#10 Old 10-29-2012, 02:03 PM

Hi Neodragonrider,

I'm a meat eater in transition to a more meat free diet.

Tsitko is right....

Quote:
"It is extremely difficult to get someone to enjoy a tofu sandwich when they are used to McDonalds or Pizza Hut. Their taste buds will be different." 

When you're used to a high fat, salt and sugar diet, it takes a while for the taste buds to transition. 

I empathize with your mum and can understand where she is coming from.

A lot of vegan/vegetarian recipes are very bland and/or only have one texture esp when you are used to meat and you're being offered just a salad for dinner. It's also not realistic to expect someone to go from bacon, cheese and pepperoni to a macrobiotic vegan. It is a process like all things we try and get our head around. 

My transition was what inspired me to co-author a vegan cookbook called Bold Vegan - Food Of South East Asia

You can get some basic recipes from the Blog section under "recipes" or sign up for the weekly newsletter that will feature recipes, tips and inspiration (it's free)

Hope this will help you with your mum's diet and widen your portfolio of vegan/vegetarian recipes you have on hand.

Luanne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page