Critics Raise Alarms Over Stanford Organics Study - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Whether or not corporate influence in this paper is direct, as some critics imply, Stanford has strong ties to some of the major beneficiaries and proponents of industrialized agriculture. Among them are Cargill, Caterpillar, British Petroleum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (investors in and supporters of Monsanto). This is not to say all of Stanford’s donors set out to influence its researchers. However, corporate influence on university research is ubiquitous and influences outcomes.

Some critics of the study pointed to Ingram Olkin’s participation. NaturalNews fingered Olkin as “an ‘anti-science’ propagandist working for Big Tobacco.” They correctly pointed out that in 1976 he received $12,000 from Philip Morris to develop a statistical approach to risk analysis. Conveniently, his research contributed to the tobacco industry’s long fight to deny that smoking was a health issue.

Although more than 35 years have passed since Olkin’s tobacco-related study, OpEdNews considers his participation in this one tainted. They reason that the research team used Olkin’s meta-analysis to generate the results reported in the organics study. Therefore, the study is using poor methodology.

Researchers always quarrel about each others’ hypotheses and methodology, but Olkin’s meta-analysis should be supported or dismissed on grounds more solid than his statistics having helped the tobacco industry nearly four decades ago. After all, he may actually have refined his approach since then.

Beyond Olkin, the research team appears to have no particular ties to anything nefarious. Nor do they appear to have any particular expertise in food or food systems issues.

One final concern has been raised, the timing of the study’s publication. Californians will be voting on Prop 37 in November. Big Ag (including Big Organic) is firmly opposed to GMO labeling and is shoveling money into the campaign to defeat the proposition. Proponents are fighting hard but have a fraction of the resources.

http://www.care2.com/causes/critics-raise-alarms-over-stanford-organics-study.html

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, Natural News. Now there is a reputable source.
#3 Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Have I told you lately that you are awesome RunnerVeggie?...cause yeah, you are.

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Are the contents false? That's as much as I need to know about how good any source is.

A lot of newspapers have run with the story that organics are no more nutritious than non-organics. A complete non story so far as I can see. I don't recall such a claim having been made about organics.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#5 Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

A lot of newspapers have run with the story that organics are no more nutritious than non-organics. A complete non story so far as I can see. I don't recall such a claim having been made about organics.

A while back Natural News ran the headline,

The Results Are In: Organic Foods More Nutritious Than Conventional Foods

#6 Old 09-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

Have I told you lately that you are awesome RunnerVeggie?...cause yeah, you are.
Why thank you! But, I would have to argue that you do much more work carrying the torch of reason. I get annoyed too easily, and then I just get bored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

A while back Natural News ran the headline,

The Results Are In: Organic Foods More Nutritious Than Conventional Foods

Sweet find there! grin.gif

I love how people are claiming now that it was never about health, but that it was about sustainability all along. Not that there is a strong argument for sustainability either...
#7 Old 09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I love how people are claiming now that it was never about health, but that it was about sustainability all along. Not that there is a strong argument for sustainability either...

Folks love to move the goal posts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page