How is this not vegan? Trader Joe's True Thai Tom Yam Soup With Spinach Mushroom Wontons includes a packet of thai herbs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Pirate Huntress
  • 1 Post By Pirate Huntress
  • 4 Post By QuietVegan

#1 Old 07-21-2012, 12:49 AM
adapt. evolve. become

The ingredients appear to be vegan but the label says it's vegetarian,

and when Trader Joe's labels a product vegetarian and not vegan it's because it's not vegan.

It doesn't make sense to me though, based on these ingredients.

Ingredients: Water, wheat flour, coconut milk, carrot, spinach, onion, tapioca starch, lemongrass, water chestnut, turnip, red chili, mushroom lemon juice, soy sauce (soybeans, wheat, salt) thai limeleaf, corriander, galangal, palm oil, shallot, chili paste, salt, straw mushroom, sugar

CONTAINS WHEAT, COCONUT & SOY

No egg or dairy allergy warning either. Huh.. :/

All we are is dust in the wind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-21-2012, 12:55 AM
Veggie Regular

probably the sugar
#3 Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Zelda Freak

Yeah maybe the sugar or sometimes a company that's not all vegan won't call any of their products vegan, even if individual products are. For example, I know this happens a lot with body care, say where a company has some vegan items, but not all vegan items, so they don't label any of their items vegan. 

With food though, that's less common. Maybe it's made in a non-vegan facility? 

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-21-2012, 01:16 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Lots of vegan products are made in non vegan facilities.

#5 Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Unless the tapioca starch had milk? But then they'd have to say it on the list. Or maybe someone doing the categorizing thought coconut milk wasn't vegan?

I would eat that food based on ingredients.
#6 Old 07-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Not everything that is vegan at Trader Joe's is labeled as such. Trader Joe's is fairly savvy, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone just didn't think about it being vegan.

I'm confused about the "non vegan facilities" statement. This particular item doesn't even contain trace amounts of non vegan stuff on the allergen statement.
#7 Old 07-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Banned

I've bout that before it's really good! [if I ate it next time I would skip the packet a little too strong for me!]

If it's made on shared equipment it won't be labeled vegan.

#8 Old 07-24-2012, 01:18 AM
adapt. evolve. become

well I decided to eat it cos I was really hungry and haven't gone grocery shopping, and this has been in the freezer since last week. Pretty sure its vegan anyway. It's better than I thought it would be. It's actually very good. I never had a soup like this either. I added the little packet to see if it was too strong for me. It wasn't.

Purp likes this.

#9 Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen it before, but never tried it. I just might have to buy it next time I'm at TJ.

I'm not sure why it isn't labeled vegan, seems vegan to me (ingredients wise). I checked both the vegan and vegetarian lists on the TJ site and it's not on either (even though it's vegetarian). I was at least hoping to find it on the vegetarian page to compare.

#10 Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Tom Yum has been mentioned on the TJ threads as vegan quite often. I do like it, and have been trying to replicate it without much success sad.gif

I can't think of any particulars, but it seems to me TJ's not great in labeling vegan products. I have to think it either gives them an opportunity to switch ingrediants, strict (like in sugar), or like so many other products, kinda lazy!

If anyone has tips on recreating it I'd love to hear them! chef.gif

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#11 Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 AM
adapt. evolve. become

I sent them an email and  got a reply. Just going to say that I'm not super concerned when it comes to sugar. I buy vegan sugar to cook with, but I don't avoid sugar in restaurants or in pre-made food.

Dear Danielle,

Thank you so much for contacting us.  Unfortunately, we cannot say that this 
product is vegan due to the fact that the sugar used is sourced as a commodity.  
Whenever sugar is sourced as a commodity (labeled in the ingredients panel as 
just "sugar" rather than "cane sugar," "evaporated cane sugar," "brown sugar," 
etc.), we cannot guarantee that some or all of it wasn't filtered through animal 
bone char, which is a common natural whitening method for sugar.

We apologize for any disappointment this may cause!  

Best regards,

Rachel
Customer Relations
Trader Joe's

#12 Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM

Download an app called "Animal Free" it lists all ingredients Vegan & Non-Vegan in alphabetical order... I use it for most things im Pretty sure are vegan but need a check out an ingredient or two... Hope this helped...

#13 Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
adapt. evolve. become

I will check it out when I get a smart phone. For now, I'm stuck with a stupid phone.. Can't download apps, but it's nice to know there's an app for that.

Purp likes this.

#14 Old 08-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Awesome that TJ's is so responsive! Sucks that they are not in Canada thought :-*(

the blog I write. It's mostly about food. Some healthy. Some junky. All vegan.

#15 Old 08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

I bought this soup, but the directions say to microwave it with plastic wrap on top. I don't have plastic wrap :( I need to get some.

#16 Old 08-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Not a fan of the crunchiness of the wontons. I won't be buying this again.

#17 Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 PM

I registered just to say… If your wontons were crunchy you did something wrong.

Just had this and the wontons were entirely soft and silken, as they should be, having been cooked in a bowl of liquid. 

This was made without plastic wrap on the bowl during heating as well. 

That said coconut milk and wheat flour have no place whatsoever in Tom Yum, and I wasn't impressed enough by the soup to forgive them that. :)

#18 Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

I followed the directions exactly and they were hot inside (not frozen). The crunchiness was either the spinach leaves or mushrooms.

The more I ate the soup, the more it grew on me. I MIGHT give it another try.

#19 Old 09-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I followed the directions exactly and they were hot inside (not frozen). The crunchiness was either the spinach leaves or mushrooms.

The more I ate the soup, the more it grew on me. I MIGHT give it another try.

I've had this a few times--the wontons are never crunchy!

NuMystik---do you have a recipe like this? I like the coconut milk!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#20 Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I've had this a few times--the wontons are never crunchy!

NuMystik---do you have a recipe like this? I like the coconut milk!

Maybe it was frozen inside. Hmmmm.

#21 Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 PM

I'm sorry Silva, the only recipe I have is from notes that are buried deep in a storage unit on Maui. (I studied Veg. Thai Cooking in a small village in northern Thailand named Pai (pronounced like "pie") back in 1999) 

Thankfully though, Google is your friend:

If you like the Coconut Milk then what you want is Tom-Kha Gai which is basically Tom Yum/Yam with that added.

The fun and food blog recipe (the 4th) looks very authentic but very it's very important to note that when they say lime leaves, they mean Kaffir Lime, not western lime. It's one of the very distinct flavors in Tom Yum/Kha and nothing like regular lime leaves. 

All of the more exotic ingredients can be found quite affordably at ImportFood.com if you don't have an asian grocery store near you that carries Galangal, Kaffir Lime leaves and Lemongrass. Worth noting that the fresh leaves freeze very well, so if you do go to the trouble of getting a bunch you'll have enough to last for a long time to come.

#22 Old 01-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Palm oil is bad news.

Maybe it is because of the palm oil, the farming of which causes massive deforestation and the death of many animals.
#23 Old 01-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTransition View Post
Maybe it is because of the palm oil, the farming of which causes massive deforestation and the death of many animals.
3 year old thread bumped for a palm oil debate - yay! *rubs hands in delight*

Palm oil doesn't contain any animal products, is not tested on animal and is, therefore, vegan. Morally it may not be seen as such but for legal/labeling purposes it is. This means the palm oil has nothing to do with this product not being labeled vegan.
#24 Old 01-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Veggie Recycler

It's like Oreos, probably. Nabisco doesn't want to get sued for dairy cross contamination though Oreos are supposed to be "accidentally vegan." Their factory, having made Asian style noodles, is more likely to have egg or fish, likely fish...not in the dish itself, but as a presence in the factory.

Also yeah sugar, I don't know what exactly is required to call a product vegan, but the label is likely much stricter than the average vegan in what they eat (for example with sugar, or maybe even alcohol or eating at restaurants which have slight chance of cross contamination).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page