Almond milk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Beginner

I got this four pack of silk almond milk trying it out for the first time didnt like it. I hate normal milk so i was hopeing i was going to like it well it taste to much like normal milk to me. 

So a few questions. Can i use it fully in place of regular milk? Will it change the taste of what i bake or cook with it? And yummy ways to just drink it besides chocolate mix. Since it was a little on the expensive side i dont want to just throw it away. 

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

You can use it fully like milk all the time :) I love almond milk so I put it in cereals, and I'll bake with rice milk. What kind did you get? Did you get the unsweetened or the sweetened kind? It really depends, if it's low sugar, you can try sweetening it a bit.

If you don't like almond milk, you still have soy, rice, hemp, oat, flax, hazelnut, coconut, sunflower seed, and cashew milk :) They all have different flavors and taste like what the milk type is. I have had oat before and it tastes like creamy oats :P

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#3 Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Beginner

Yeah i get two choices soy milk or almond the only to stores in two carry just silk soy or almond milk. I have the the silk almond vanilla. 

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 AM

Hey everblue1037,

I thought Silk was ok, but I'm more of a fan of Blue Diamond Almond Milk. If you think Silk tastes too close to normal milk, then you might not like Blue Diamond, as it tastes close to identical (other than the almonds). But I have to say, if you try "Almond Breeze Vanilla," (Sweetened) it is soooo soooo good. I would say it is worth a shot honestly.

And it seems to be just fine for cooking and baking.

#5 Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 PM

I prefer blue diamond as well. I don't like milk personalliy as a straight up drink nor do I enjoy any milk alternatives by themselves either.  I cooke d with them or put them in my oatmeal instead.

#6 Old 07-09-2012, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with everyone else, it's perfect for baking because of its neutral flavor. It will be the same as cooking with dairy milk. I hope your store gets more options soon so you can find one that you like.

#7 Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Beginner

Yeah so smart me almost used it in mashed poatatos tonight. So glad i didnt i forgot that my boyfriend is slightly allergic to tree nuts his throat iches and dont want to make it worse. So yeah i gotta drink it cant cook or bake with it. I may try to use it in a smoothie since baking is so out now.

#8 Old 07-25-2012, 09:05 AM

I don't think it can provide the same nutrition as milk does, although I like the taste as well. I cannot bare the smell of milk, either. I mix it with earl grey tea (cuz it has strong smell). Just pour about 80ml hot water for the tea and 300ml milk. it reduces the smell of milk. use microwave to heat it for 2 minutes if you want to drink warm.  

#9 Old 07-25-2012, 06:07 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

I don't think it can provide the same nutrition as milk does, although I like the taste as well. I cannot bare the smell of milk, either. I mix it with earl grey tea (cuz it has strong smell). Just pour about 80ml hot water for the tea and 300ml milk. it reduces the smell of milk. use microwave to heat it for 2 minutes if you want to drink warm.  

Here is the problem. The "I thinks" don't really make it so or give an excuse to continue drinking it. I'm far from a nutritionist, but I know for a fact that milk was by nature made for her baby calf, and not humans, just like human milk was made for human babies and not whale babies. (All other ethical reasons for not drinking milk aside) Also, Almond Breeze half gallon contains 50% more calcium than milk and also contains vitamin D and other key nutrients. I don't know if you need that much calcium in a serving, but nonetheless it is widely available in the dairy section near the non dairy milks. Most non dairy milks are fortified with calcium too, around about as dairy milk does and I tend to get those. <3

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#10 Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

I like the Blue Diamond sweetened almond milk, but I hated unsweetened. Silk has much more almond flavor than Blue Diamond.

I would suggest you use it up in smoothies, and cereal.

I've also noticed non dairy milks seem to taste much different when in the aeseptic paks compared to the refrigerated cartons. I like plain soymilk in aeseptic cartons, but not the almond milks.

You have like individual serving cartons? Maybe you should just ask friends if they'd like to try one! I've seen so many people switch to non dairy milks! smiley.gif

As far as nutrition goes, I'd pick non dairy for the win! Great source of calcium, and vitamin D2, and most have B12. While soymilk has a good amount of protein, almond not as much. You don't need anywhere near the protein most omnivores get, or you just mess with calcium stores.

You certainly can use all non dairy milks the same as you would cow milk. The only exception is if you try and "curdle" it with lemon, like in biscuits. I believe that's limited to soymilk.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#11 Old 07-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Beginner

I tried it in cerel smoothies coffee freezeing it so its really cold and cant bake with it so thats off. I even asked my fiance to take a sip to test it if it sets his allergie off yep it dose. So i have decided no almond milk for  me i just cant get past the taste. I may try plain soy see if its better. 

#12 Old 07-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the blue diamond almond milk. I use the vanilla and plain sweetened in my protien shakes and i like the chocolate just plain with cookies or something. Ive never tried it in anything else though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page