Passover Recipes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2004, 09:41 AM

The start of Passover is fast approaching (begins Monday evening, 4/5) and I'm getting increasingly concerned about what to serve. Ever since I renewed my commitment to a veg lifestyle, this has become a very stressful time for me. Not only do I need to come up with a great entree and a couple of sides to contribute to the seder (holiday dinner accompanied by telling the story of the Exodus), but some good dinner ideas for myself for during the week (Passover lasts 8 days). I will be the only non-meat eater at the seder I am participating in, so it will unfortunately not be a totally veg meal, but I'd really like to provide some super dishes to impress the other guests.

For those unfamiliar with this Jewish holiday, people observing it must follow quite a rigid set of restrictions, which basically comes down to not eating foods with leavening, or any products that are not "kosher for Passover". That means no pasta or foods with grains in them. The only wheat allowed to be used is Matzoh (a kind of unleavened bread), or some version of it (broken up in small pieces, pulverized into meal or ground into a sort of flour, for example). This means that most veg "convenience" foods are out -- things like my favorite staple - veggie burgers, etc.

For Ashkenazi (basically, Jewish people from an Eastern European heritage) prohibited foods also include legumes (which means all soy items and peanut butter in addition to various beans) and rice. Sephardic (Middle East, African & Spanish heritage) do not restrict these items. To be honest, although I am Ashkenazi, last year I allowed myself to eat according to Sephardic tradition, as it seemed almost impossible to get through an entire week with no soy products or legumes, in addition to all the other restrictions.

Anyway, I would really appreciate advice, recipes and support. Thanks in advance.

Shalom,

Gail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I also toy with the idea of becoming Sephardic for Passover... I

'm not running the seder I'm going to, so I don't have to worry about making a whole vegan kosher-for-passover meal for other people. I also probably won't be able to eat much at the seder though. I asked if I could bring something, but they said they'd rather I didn't because it's a kosher household and they do the whole keeping pots and plates separate, etc. I don't know if it matters that in my kitchen there's no meat and dairy to separate!

Anyway, I'm babbling, but not really helping you. Last year I made a vegan matzo kugel, but I'm going to have to find the recipe again because I don't know where it is. I remember it involving veggie broth and being tasty. I remember also finding a vegan matzo ball recipe on vegweb, but I never made it because it didn't sound anything like traditional matzo balls. There was another thread about this fairly recently, and I think some people had some good recipes. Sorry I'm not being helpful, but I'm glad you posted this because it made me realize how close it is and how I've got to get some ideas quick!
#3 Old 03-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-31-2004, 03:54 PM

Appreciate your suggestions, Eggplant. That thread had a number of nice links with recipes I will try. It's really going to be a strange Passover for me as we (myself, husband and 17-year-old son -- our other 2 children are in their 20s and off on their own) will be spending it at my MIL's home down in Florida. We live in NJ, btw. Besides the fact that this will be our first time driving down there (airfare was just too expensive), it will be interesting to do a seder and have all of Passover in my MIL's, as she is Catholic and somewhat religious. My own parents, who live about 3 1/2 south of where we'll be, are planning to drive up and join us.

So now, in addition to packing and planning the drive, I must make sure to remember which holiday things to bring and give my MIL a grocery list (at her request). I don't think I'll end up being as observant down there (not that I'm all that careful anyway...), but I'm definitely going to stay away from any bread, cookies, cakes & pies, at the least. My husband, who was raised Catholic but converted some years ago, says he'll watch what he eats "the first couple of days" and then continue to eat matzoh while he also enjoys his mother's baked goods. Ah, well. Different strokes for different folks...

Anyway, I am definitely psyched to have gotten a new haggaduh to refer to as part of the seder. A couple of weeks ago I bought "The Liberated Lamb", a sort of veg/animal rights version that looks very interesting. I'm thinking that I might end up making some kind of stuffed veggies for seder, btw. Maybe with a combination of farfel and nuts. But I wish the holiday didn't start so soon after we finish the long drive. We're supposed to arrive late Saturday night and I guess most of the day Sunday will be spent cooking. However it will be great to have almost a whole week to relax in Florida after that, so I'm not complaining.

Have a wonderful Pesach!

Shalom,

Gail
#5 Old 03-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

You could just survive on those chocolate-covered cherry jell things for the week Those are vegan, I just found out!

If I was doing kosher for Passover, I would definitely have to become Sephardic. I'm wheat-sensitive, so I can't even have Matzoh. But I didn't even know when Passover started til I read your post...I have become SO lapsed.
#6 Old 04-02-2004, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I asked if I could bring something, but they said they'd rather I didn't because it's a kosher household and they do the whole keeping pots and plates separate, etc. I don't know if it matters that in my kitchen there's no meat and dairy to separate!

It matters because in kosher households there are also different dishes for passover

Anyway, for all Ashkenazi jews- passover is a great time to discover Kinua (quinua?). It's kosher, full of protain and tastes good.
#7 Old 04-02-2004, 01:12 PM

I didn't know that Quinoa is kosher for Passover, Neta. Great news! I tried it some time ago and liked the flavor. Unfortunately, my family objected to Quinoa because of the way it looks (reminded them of tiny worms!), but maybe I'll cook some up for myself. Have any interesting recipes?
#8 Old 04-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Beginner

Holy loophole, Batman, I had no idea -- this is going to make my life so much easier this year!!!!

love (and Chag Someach!),

BeanLady
#9 Old 04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I survived the omni seder. I ate a little bit before going and then ate charroset and veggies for my meal. No one made a big deal out of it.

By the way, I made the sweet potato kugel recipe from here minus the raisins (I hate raisins cooked in things!) and it's quite tasty, although next time I'm going to reduce the recipe because it came out to tons of food. I'm going to make some more stuff tonight so I can eat the rest of the week.

Neta, do you know the rationale behind quinoa being kosher for passover?
#10 Old 04-09-2004, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I made some delish vegan matzo brie this morning. I soaked the matzo farfel in juice (I used Trader Joe's blackberry juice, but you could use anything). When it was nice and soft, I drained off the excess juice and mixed in a big spoonful of apple butter (I guess you could use apple sauce too). Then I just cooked it in a non-stick pan as usual. It was moist, sweet (I used to cover the egg kind with sugar), and yummy! Yay!

I also made the stuffed zucchini recipe on the PETA site. That was yummy too.

Anyone else made some good vegan Passover foods?
#11 Old 04-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I survived the seders being the only veg*n there, actually, I ate quite a lot: Roasted veggies, asparagus, veggie soup, salad, carrots, matza, charoset, and teh list goes on and on. Luckily for me there were a ton of veggie side dishes so I just had some of each and htat made my whole meal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page