V8's for a meal? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Beginner

So I was wondering if V8 juice would be an acceptable meal per se for lunch or after lunch meal (400 calorie amount that is) ? Would it fill you up and would it be nutritious?

Thanks, JV :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

test

#3 Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Liquids don't fill me up no matter how many calories they contain. V8 is supposedly nutritious but has a lot of sodium. I personally can't stand the stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Juice isn't really the best idea for a meal. It won't fill you up as most of the fiber is removed. It also wouldn't have much in the way of complex carbohydrates or protein.

Why were you thinking about V8 instead of real food? Are you looking for something quick or low calorie? How about soup or a smoothie instead? That would contain all of the fiber of the veggies/fruit.
#5 Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 AM
Banned

V contains "natural flavoring" of unspecified origin. Is if clam broth? One of the reasons that people drink vegetable juice is to get uncooked food. V8 certainly appears to contain only cooked juices, or at least pasteurized. The origin and quality of the vegetables seems questionable. I'm wondering what kind of shoot-grass tomatoes and carrots they use, that they have to doctor up its flavor with "natural flavoring."

it will definitly have a lot of complex carbs though, and probably a bit of protein, from the spinach.

#6 Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 AM
Banned

There have been some threads in the past that said the natural flavorings were from beef. I don't know if that was ever proven true. That being said, the only thing I would be cautious of is the high sodium content. However, you do have alternatives. I like R.W. Knudsen's Very Veggie drink, which is pretty much like V8 (actually, I think it tastes better than V8). Their FAQ section states their natural flavorings are from botanical (plant) sources. They have regular and low sodium versions.

http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/very-veggie/very-veggie-low-sodium-2/

#7 Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

400 calories of the juice (v8 or the R.W. Knudsen one) would have about 16 g. of protein but not any calories from fat.  Maybe add an avocado to your meal as well.  Personally I need more than 400 calories per meal, but I don't know how active you are and what else you are eating.  :)  Or half an avocado and a handful of mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts) for minerals would be good.

#8 Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

No. Liquids alone do not trigger the mechanisms in your stomach that make you feel full, no matter how many calories you're consuming.

#9 Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

As others have said, it's just a really bad idea. Maybe buy a blender and blend fruits you'd like to eat, if you're looking for an on the go meal that way you don't lose fiber and you don't have to worry about "natural flavorings" and the like.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Beginner

thank you all for your replys :)

I'm just looking for a smoothie type meal that I can grab out of the fridge and blend some ice cubes with because I for lunch i usually have a large smoothie but it gets to be such a hassle to make :/

#11 Old 05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Try Odwalla bottles juices and smoothies. They make a few soy protein shakes and a superfood green juice that is filling and a helluva lot more nutritious than V8.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#12 Old 05-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Beginner

thank you for your suggestion ill check them out :)!

#13 Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Only with vodka.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#14 Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Try Odwalla bottles juices and smoothies. They make a few soy protein shakes and a superfood green juice that is filling and a helluva lot more nutritious than V8.

These juices I have tried and I like them , might get some next time we go to the store since its the summer.

#15 Old 05-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Isn't v8 high in added sodium?

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#16 Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVskier View Post

So I was wondering if V8 juice would be an acceptable meal per se for lunch or after lunch meal (400 calorie amount that is) ? Would it fill you up and would it be nutritious?

Thanks, JV :)

-Would it fill you up?

It depends on the person, what the rest of your meal schedule is like, how much you normally eat for lunch and so on... Personally, I rarely get hungry until mid-late afternoon, so it would be enough to fill me up for lunch, but not dinner. Are you sure you're talking about 400 calories worth of V8, though, because that would be about 8 of their small sized bottles?

As for the claim that you can't feel full on liquids, I would be curious to see what studies support it. I suspect that is also something that may vary by individual and may involve psychological factors. But I could be wrong. When I had braces and would get them tightened I would avoid solids for awhile because my mouth hurt and I didn't have a problem filling up on liquids.

The easiest way to answer the question would be for you to simply try it and see how you feel.

-Would it be nutritious?

It appears to be a good source of vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium and potassium. And a decent source of iron. It's also a decent source of fiber, contrary to what may have been implied in the thread. It is certainly low in fiber compared to a typical green smoothie or green salad that one might make on their own, but virtually all meals are low in fiber compared to those things. So, yeah I'd say you could do much worse. The sodium is high, as would be the case with packaged vegetable soups and such, but there is a low sodium version of V8 available.

#17 Old 06-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Veggie Regular

double post

#18 Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Nutrition facts for low sodium V8;
Quote:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 8 Oz
Servings Per Container 6
Amount Per Serving
Calories 50Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 G 0
Saturated Fat 0 G
Cholesterol 0 Mg 0
Sodium 140 Mg 6
Potassium 820 Mg 23
Total Carbohydrate 10 G 3
Dietary Fiber 2 G
Sugars 8 G
Protein 2 G

In order to get to 400 calories, you would need to drink 8 cups (64 oz, or half a gallon). That's much more fluid than most people would want to consume for a meal - it is not even safe to consume that much liquid quickly. Any convenience of drinking a liquid meal would be negated by the time spent drinking that large volume of liquid, as well as time spent peeing afterwards. It would also contain 64 grams of sugar, the equivalent of between 1/4 and 1/3 cup granulated sugar.
#19 Old 06-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Beginner

I was also referring to V8's new V8 smoothie which is 130 calories per 240ml but since their products can't be confirmed if its vegan friendly I think ill stray from the brand :) ..I forgot that my supermarket store sells Bolthouse Farms soy protein smoothies and I think ill be drinking them every day

#20 Old 06-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVskier View Post

I was also referring to V8's new V8 smoothie which is 130 calories per 240ml but since their products can't be confirmed if its vegan friendly I think ill stray from the brand smiley.gif ..I forgot that my supermarket store sells Bolthouse Farms soy protein smoothies and I think ill be drinking them every day

Hmm, well you did say "V8 juice" in the original post, hence the confusion. I'm pretty sure those V8 smoothies contain dairy, but I couldn't find an ingredients list quickly. You just need to check the label - if there are dairy products it should be obvious.
#21 Old 06-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Beginner

Sorry abouthat guess i'm not really thinking today ;) and they do appear to contain dairy for some reason I thought they didn't!

#22 Old 06-03-2012, 11:07 AM

I definetly DON'T recommend drinking V8 really at all since its got WAY too much sodium in it. I saw a recipe on how to make your own V8 juice - all natural - but couldn't find it again to share here. I'm sure a Google search will provide results.

#23 Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsFish View Post

I definetly DON'T recommend drinking V8 really at all since its got WAY too much sodium in it. I saw a recipe on how to make your own V8 juice - all natural - but couldn't find it again to share here. I'm sure a Google search will provide results.

How is it WAY too much? The amount of sodium in V8 is really not a problem unless your diet is already high in sodium. It has less than the amount of sodium in one of those little soy sauce packets.

#24 Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

How is it WAY too much? The amount of sodium in V8 is really not a problem unless your diet is already high in sodium. It has less than the amount of sodium in one of those little soy sauce packets.

Actually that is not true. I give you a quote from the following site: http://blog.fooducate.com/2010/04/27/v8-juice-a-health-scam/

"Interesting addition to the list are the salt, vitamin C, and flavorings. A single glass of V8 contains 480mg of sodium, or 20% (!!!) of the daily maximum. Compare to 135mg for a small McDonald’s French Fries, or 290mg for a medium."

The low sodium version is much better with 70% less sodium per serving but no matter which argument you try to throw my way you cannot say that V8 juice is better for you than Homemade Vegetable juice. Plain and simple.

#25 Old 06-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

This is all pretty much moot, guys. V8 as a meal replacement is not realistic due to the volume needed, and the OP was talking about V8 smoothies anyway, not the vegetable juice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page