What is it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

The other day, my husband and I were at this Chinese restaurant in town. At the end of the meal, we were given the standard fortune cookie but I noticed that some of the patrons were given this little bottle of stuff that they drank after the meal.

When we paid our ticket, I asked about that stuff and the lady said she didn't know if we would like it or not which is why she didn't give us any and then gave us 2 bottles of it to try. My husband wouldn't drink it because he has this "thing" about eating or drinking stuff he can't identify (whimp!) but I did.

I peeled back the little foil on the bottle top and took a sip... YUMMMMM!

But I still don't know what it was. It's in a little bottle, about 3" / 7.5mm high and all it says that I can understand is "non-carbonated SOFT DRINK, net contents: 63ml, keep frozen" and the rest is in Korean. It was a sweet drink (but not "crack yer teeth" sweet like most drinks are) and it had a mild cherry or something close to cherry flavour. It looked like it was in a milk-base but it wasn't because I drank both bottles of the stuff and didn't get a migraine at all so I'm thinking it was soy-based or something.

Can anyone tell me what that stuff I drank is? I really like it but don't read Korean well enough to figure it out on my own. Actually, I don't read Korean at all so...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I found a picture of the stuff at http://www.samyangfood.co.kr/product_5.htm (4th row down, far right picture).
#3 Old 03-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw a product similar to the one you mentioned a while ago in the asian markets. The package had an english ingredient label attached to the bottles, and I'm fairly certain that the product contained dairy, sugar, and flavoring. (Sorry, I don't remember the specifics right now.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I typed in "korean yogurt drink" into google, and found the brand that I saw in the store. Definitely dairy, if that's an issue. Sorry.

Quote:
Namyang's 'Bulgaris' is a yogurt drink which contains lactobacillus, the essence of ferment milk, 300 times more than other yogurt drinks. While this concentrated number of lactobacillus helps the busy modern people to keep their intestines healthy, the fresh fruit juice added to 'Bulgaris' makes it even more tasteful. 'E5' is a healthful yogurt, ideal for the whole family. Its health-maintaining potential is strengthened by having five elements-calcium, DHA, vitamin C, bifidus, and natural oolong tea extract-added to regular yogurt.

http://company.namyangi.com/eng/prod...roducts_05.asp
#5 Old 03-30-2004, 07:33 AM

The pictures are of Yakult. It's the name of the drink and the company which makes them. You can get a plain flavor and all sorts of other flavors ( I think the most popular is aloe). Yakult is huge all over asia, particularly in Japan, Korea, parts of China. When I was last in Thailand and Laos it was only just catching on. Right now Yakult is booming in Japan. They have a delivery service for their drinks. I see the ladies going by on their little delivery mopeds everyday, rain or shine. They're like the dairy postal service. Some new imitation Yakult company stopped by my appartment the other day. I declined the service since I don't use any dairy. They had a nice sample of soymilk though. That made me happy.
#6 Old 03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

DAIRY?!?! That stuff was dairy that I drank?!?!

*screams and cries*

But... but... I didn't react. I didn't have a migraine. My tummy didn't rebel and my didn't . And I didn't end up doing for eons on end.

I feel so now.

*calms down a bit* Ok, then, is there a soy-based equivelent to this stuff and if there is, can you link me to a picture, too?

*still stunned I didn't react to the yakult dairy drink*
#7 Old 03-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeYahMK View Post

Yakult, from what I've located, is a fermented beverage not unlike yogurt. If this is the case that would explain your lack of reaction since usually people who react to milk do not react to fermented milk products.

http://www.yakult.co.jp/english/

http://www.fact-index.com/y/ya/yakult.html

Jim
#8 Old 04-01-2004, 07:28 AM

Hey Dee, I have an idea for you

Make your favorite shake or make

a smoothie without ice or whatever

flavor that is close to what you drank.

Add this http://nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=2848

and you may have a vegan version.

Shannon
#9 Old 04-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

*screams and cries*

But... but... I didn't react.

I feel so now.

Sorry...I don't really understand. You're upset that it's dairy now that you didn't react to it...but you drank it knowing it could be anything.... If you had gotten a migraine after drinking it thus giving you the impression that it was dairy, would you still have been upset? I don't get it! I understand when someone finds out that something is non-vegan when they ate something they thought was vegan...but...no one told you it was...you still drank it...and...what?

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#10 Old 04-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea, I still would have been upset if I reacted. Since I didn't react (and since I couldn't understand the lable), I honestly thought it was a soy drink since I react with dairy and not soy. I'm upset to find out that it's not after all. At that restaurant, they barely speak English and I don't speak Chinese or Korean. I certainly don't speak it enough to say "is this vegan" and be able to go through all the ingredients with them. That's why I posted here. With the wide array of members from all different countries, I thought that maybe someone would tell me what this was. I didn't think for a million years that this would be cowcrap. Who thinks of asian drinks having dairy in them? Certainly not me.

I truely thought this was vegan. I know better now but I didn't then. It's called "learning". You learn things as you go and I learned about this. I also learned that Asian countries do have milk and milk-based items. That was not something that I knew before. I thought it would be soybased, if anything. I made a mistake and I admit that, freely.
#11 Old 04-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

*screams and cries*

But... but... I didn't react. I didn't have a migraine. My tummy didn't rebel and my didn't . And I didn't end up doing for eons on end.

I feel so now.

*calms down a bit* Ok, then, is there a soy-based equivelent to this stuff and if there is, can you link me to a picture, too?

The reason you didn't get sick was most likely the lactobacillis acidophlus. It is what they give to milk intolerant babies in milk based formulas.
#12 Old 04-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

It didn't have this in the ingredients or on the label anywhere did it?? - Goyangi soju

Hope not! Cos that's cat juice! (the juice Koreans keep after they've just boiled a cat alive!)
#13 Old 04-14-2004, 11:35 AM

Maybe it was Milk of Magnesia. LOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page