Quinoa - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Beginner

I'm going to the store tomorrow and getting quinoa for the first time. Any suggestions on differnt kinds, how to cook it, or any advice and comments would be great. I need to add something in besides rice i'm getting tired of it. So whats your favorite way to cook it or what goes good with it?smiley.gif

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

if i had to pick my absolute favourite dish with quinoa it be this

#3 Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I've made mushroom and quinoa burgers which I really like - super mushroomy. Can't find the recipe now though, but I'd recommend experimenting with quinoa in burgers/rissoles, I think quinoa and shredded cooked spinach would go nicely too.

Quinoa makes an excellent base for a grain salad with lots of diced fresh veg. like red onion, sweetcorn, tomatoes, peppers and so on. As a l-o veggie, I'd possibly add crumbled feta too, strict veggies might like too add toasted sunflower seeds instead, which I also love! A quick dash of olive oil and lemon juice and I'm a happy girl.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 AM
Veggie Regular

I can eat it plain with a little Earth Balance and nutritional yeast. Sauteed veggies of your choice make a really nice addition.

I most often throw it in any type of soup I make...which is pretty much vegetable soup with lots of veggies, beans, brown or red lentils and quinoa. I don't normally add rice or pasta with quinoa...it has enough carbs on its own. Not that I am anti-carbs...I just eat way too many of them normally.

Quinoa...I love the stuff!

And you inspired me to look up some recipes...I may give these a try without the egg/cheese.

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/veggie-burger-recipe

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/crispy-quinoa-cakes

If you browse the site there are plenty more recipes.

smiley.gif

#5 Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

if i had to pick my absolute favourite dish with quinoa it be this

Oh, my that does look good.

I make quinoa/spinach burgers all the time.

#6 Old 05-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Give peas a chance

I like quinoa with black beans, mango, lime juice, red onion, and cilantro mixed in.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#7 Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I cook it by using 2 cups water for 1 cup quinoa, boil for 10 minutes, then set it aside with a lid on top for 6 or 7 minutes, or however long i feel like/forget about it.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#8 Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Beginner

I think i may do this 

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/quinoa-with-currants-dill-and-zucchini-recipe.html

it looks good and easy but i'm getting  that it goes good with just about anything. I'm planing to make pasta with grilled veggies so i may use the left overs to make it again to try new things. I'm really excited and may just make it tonight when i get back from the store. Thanks for the advice I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Life isn't about forgetting or tuning out. It's about learning to live with and accept your worst mistakes. They are what make us all, even the gods, human. ~ Acheron

#9 Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everblue1037 View Post

I think i may do this 

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/quinoa-with-currants-dill-and-zucchini-recipe.html

it looks good and easy but i'm getting  that it goes good with just about anything. I'm planing to make pasta with grilled veggies so i may use the left overs to make it again to try new things. I'm really excited and may just make it tonight when i get back from the store. Thanks for the advice I'll let you guys know how it goes.

That looks good, have fun! smiley.gif
#10 Old 05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And I bet they're good. I make up different burgery things all the time - spinach and short/sticky brown rice is jolly nice, so quinoa and spinach should deffo work too. Care to share your way of making up quinoa and spinach?

Only trub. I find with quinoa, is that it can be a bit crumbly unless a binding/gummy agent of sorts is included in the mix - so strict veggies take note. Mind you the mushroom quinoa burgers I've made have been vegan, so it's definitely do-able. While I can't find the quantities, I processed a load of mushies down to a fine mix before sauteing in oil - plus lots finely diced garlic & onion too - before adding to cooked quinoa, seasoning & shaping. I also usually coat them in breadcrumbs or semolina and then freeze my burglers before frying or baking - which helps them hold together.

Maybe some finely whizzed oats or a dollop of leftover porridge would be a good vegan gummy agent?

Another thing I think would work well with quinoa (tho' not tried) is an Ethiopian style wat (or stew) or Morrocan tagine as such things also tend to work well with rice and cous cous. One of my fave books for that type of food is The World Food Cafe by Chris & Carolyn Caldicott. It's also a great book just to look at!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#11 Old 05-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

And I bet they're good. I make up different burgery things all the time - spinach and short/sticky brown rice is jolly nice, so quinoa and spinach should deffo work too. Care to share your way of making up quinoa and spinach?

Sure I have it written down at home, I'll look it up later tonight.
#12 Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Beginner

I tried the recipie i had looked at it didnt turn out as good as i thought. Well one thing i didnt relize its very bland if not seasoned well. Then i didnt relize its like rice and it like doubles in the amount from dry to cooked so now i have all this made up that i need to eat or make something up. And i forgot my onion and mushrooms. When i warm it up I'm going to have to add them and hopefully i can pull together a good dish with the left overs. I would hate to toss out all that especailly since it wasnt cheap, stupied small town stores.

#13 Old 05-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Oh too bad your first try was disappointing. You can fry up those onions and mushrooms and add them to the heated quinoa. This site has good cooking tips and a good easy recipe with tips. smiley.gif http://www.holycowvegan.net/2011/04/quinoa-with-caramelized-onions-and.html?m=1
#14 Old 05-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

The first time I had quinoa I hated it and got a headache and never wanted to try it again. laugh.gif So you're not alone having a less-than-stellar first quinoa experience. tongue3.gif If you like/have braggs, a dash of that is good.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#15 Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

The first time I had quinoa I hated it and got a headache and never want to try it again. laugh.gif So you're not alone having a less-than-stellar first quinoa experience. tongue3.gif If you like/have braggs, a dash of that is good.
Lol, that's how I was with tofu. I thought it was horrid because of my first attempts, but now I love it. smiley.gif
#16 Old 05-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Beginner

Yeah I'm trying not to let it turn me off of it. I had it before and it was good i just didnt cook it. I'm all up for trying to find a way to like it i did it with tofu. I just had to find a way i liked it. Now soy milk thats a differnt story i hate milk in the first place and hate soy milk too. But going to try adding some things i did add a veggie stock packet to it that helped.  Next time i will add the veggie stock packet to the water and seasoning as well. I guess you live and learn. Cant learn whats good till you get it wrong. 

#17 Old 05-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Beginner

Oh almost forgot anyone know how long it keeps in the frige cooked? 

#18 Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Very simple side dish. I use the regular white-tan keenwah. These are instructions for cooking with gas. If you have a simple electric burner, you'll have to do something to make the heat in the pot go down quickly, upon turning down the rheostat, so as to simulate cooking with gas. This means of course that cooking with electricity takes more work, more effort. Unless you have one of those new-fangled elec burners that cools down quickly.

These are instructions for one serving. 

Ingredients: 1/2 cup water. 1/4 cup keenwah. 1 drop canola oil. 2 teaspoons unrefined, untoasted, sesame oil (cold pressed). About 1/4 teaspoon sesame tahini (either hulled or unhulled, but untoasted is preferable). You may have to grind the sesame seeds yourself to get untoasted tahini as much tahini is probably from toasted seeds, a fact which may not have to be reported on the ingredient list or anywhere on the label, in the USA. Salt to taste. Note: I've been paying about the same amount per pound for nut butters, as for nuts, but for some reason sesame tahini is about three times as much as plain sesame seeds.

Most pre-packaged keenwah is pre-rinsed - you don't have to rinse it before cooking. It will say so on the package. If not, rinse 4 times.

Heat 1/2 cup of water to boil in a small saucepan that has a cover. Add 1 drop of canola oil. When I say one drop I mean one drop. This is to prevent foaming while the the keenwah is cooking. I'm not making a fuss about what kind of canola oil to use because, well, you're adding only 1 drop. (You could use one drop of sesame oil, instead). Add 1/4 cup of keenwah while strirring, and without causing the boiling to slow down. Takes about 5 seconds to add it, instead of dumping it in all at once. Turn down heat to barely simmering. Cover the pan. Let cook for 12 minutes. Don't stir. Make sure water does not boil away - just put a spoon thru to the bottom to make sure there is water remaining on bottom, up until maybe 3 minutes before cooking is completed. You may have to add a bit of water if you have underestimated how much to use at the beginning. However you don't want any visible liquid water remaining at the bottom of the pot, once the keenwah is finished cooking. We need the finished product to be fairly dry, like cooked rice. When finished cooking, the seeds will be translucent throughout. No opaque white spots. Cook just until you can see that the seeds are this way, or cook maybe 30 second longer. Don't overcook. 

Remove pan from stove, turn off heat, and place pan on trivit or heat-proof surface. Let sit for 3 minutes. During this time, the keenwah will "unstick itself" from the pan. If you don't wait the 3 minutes or so, you will have difficulty stirring keenwah and making the mixture uniform. By this time you should be able to put your finger in the mixture and leave it there, without pain. Stir in sesame oil, and salt to taste, and then stir in the little bit of sesame tahini. Don't over-stir;  just make sure you spread the ingredients throughout and the mixture becomes fluffy. Make sure the keenwah is cool enough not to hurt your finger, otherwise all the trouble you took to get cold pressed sesame oil and untoasted sesame seeds, will have been wasted effort. You don't want a lot of tahini. You don't want to make the keenwah too sticky and too nutty-buttery. The tahini is mostly for flavor, and should only very slightly alter the texture of the mix - stick the keenwah seeds together just a teensy teensy bit. Leave the grains pretty much separate the way they were, before you added the tahini. Keenwah has a wonderful delicate flavor. Sesame tahini have a strong flavor. You don't want to overpower the flavor of the keenwah with too much tahini. 

That's it. If you make larger amounts of keenwah, you can reduce the amount of water a bit, from the 2 to 1 ratio used here.

If you want, you can add a touch of garlic, or cilantro. Wait until the keenwah is cool before adding cilantro. You don't want to cook the cilantro at all, or even wilt it at all. Warm to the touch is ok, but not hot. Also, a teensy touch of cayenne pepper powder, or genuine Tobasco pepper sauce, can be added. Just a tiny touch. Tobasco pepper sauce is just hot peppers that have been cooked and preserved in vinegar and brine. The preserved mix is supposedly stored in oak barrels, they say "aged" in oak barrels, so there may be some flavor from the oak.

This is nice serve with plain steamed vegetables, such as steamed sweet red or yellow peppers, or steamed snap peas. Or aspary-gas. Or some gabba-gees (brocolli). Or spin-witch. Diced brussel sprouts. Bock-choy. You can leave the vegetables on the side and let diners decide whether they want to mix them in or not. I prefer just a single vegetable. The keenwah has a distinct flavor that complements the vegetable. It works differently with vegetables than they way that rice works with vegetables. More than one vegetables, and you start to lose interest in the keen-wah. 

Keenwah has a wonderful, chewy texture. It pushes back a bit when you bite into it, unlike rice which has no mind of its own and is completely yielding. Also a rather complex fragrance.

#19 Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned

I bought a box at trader joes to replace rice.  Nothing to write home about . if it was price comparable to rice, I'd say maybe we got a winner, but for that price, **** that ****. VB member Ahisma like it a lot, as I remember. That girl had some potential. Only good thing related to Quinoa that I can think of.

#20 Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:

Oh almost forgot anyone know how long it keeps in the frige cooked? 

Should keep maybe 3 days. About the same as rice. A little longer than lentils, split peas, or beans.

#21 Old 05-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Beginner

YAY got it to taste good. I added my onions mushrooms garlic warmed it up with a sprinkle of greek seasoning added olives and topped with feta. This makes me so happy yummy lunch now.

#22 Old 05-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

YAY got it to taste good. I added my onions mushrooms garlic warmed it up with a sprinkle of greek seasoning added olives and topped with feta. This makes me so happy yummy lunch now.

:thumbup: Way to go! grin.gif
#23 Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Oh, my that does look good.

Here's another request for that recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I like quinoa with black beans, mango, lime juice, red onion, and cilantro mixed in.

I make something similar, but without mango.  It also takes a can of diced tomatoes with chili peppers. Good stuff.

#24 Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Beginner

Quinoa is one of my favourite grains ever, I usually use it for salads (cooked quinoa+dressing of your choice+veggies of your choice+beans of your choice), also a soup/stew base. Once I tried it in a dessert with chocolate - wasn't a big fan of that one. 

It's a bit pricey, though, especially the red one :(

#25 Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 AM

My favorite is quinoa dish is when you add a mashed banana, a little almond butter, and a splash of almond milk for breakfast. Serve hot or cold. Yum! chef.gif

#26 Old 09-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

I've made mushroom and quinoa burgers which I really like - super mushroomy. Can't find the recipe now though, but I'd recommend experimenting with quinoa in burgers/rissoles, I think quinoa and shredded cooked spinach would go nicely too.

Quinoa makes an excellent base for a grain salad with lots of diced fresh veg. like red onion, sweetcorn, tomatoes, peppers and so on. As a l-o veggie, I'd possibly add crumbled feta too, strict veggies might like too add toasted sunflower seeds instead, which I also love! A quick dash of olive oil and lemon juice and I'm a happy girl.

I roast veggies and chill them and add them to cold quinoa. I pile them on raw baby greens, add some feta and top with a garlicky dijon vinegarette. We top ours with walnuts. It is also a nice addition to a typical cold salad. It gives great flavor, texture, and protein. Sometimes we just do baby greens, quinoa, tomato, cucumber, dressing and possibly some cheese like blue cheese.

#27 Old 09-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

For those comparing it to rice, quinoa is FAR more nutritious than rice. Way more protein and fiber than brown rice.

#28 Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I like it as an oatmeal substitute. 

I just roast it in some coconut oil, boil it in water (or coconut/soy milk). Add some mashed banana, fresh fruit, some maple syrup and chocolate chips. Perfect!

My Blog - chaletbakery.wordpress.com
#29 Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I know quinoa is good, and I do love it, unfortunately our massive consumption of the little seed isn't without consequences:

http://www.culinate.com/articles/sift/quinoa_problem

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2110890,00.html

What was once a staple food for locals has become way too expensive for them and they have now to rely on poorly nutritive food. So I guess it would be a good thing if we could eat less of the stuff?

I'm sorry to spoil the mood and probably this post shouldn't be on a food discussion thread, it's just that this situation bugs me so much... :(

#30 Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezebel View Post

I know quinoa is good, and I do love it, unfortunately our massive consumption of the little seed isn't without consequences:

http://www.culinate.com/articles/sift/quinoa_problem

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2110890,00.html

What was once a staple food for locals has become way too expensive for them and they have now to rely on poorly nutritive food. So I guess it would be a good thing if we could eat less of the stuff?

I'm sorry to spoil the mood and probably this post shouldn't be on a food discussion thread, it's just that this situation bugs me so much... :(

Thank you for sharing! I love quinoa, but I had no idea!! Wow.

Tags
Vegan-Recipes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page