TVP (textured vegetable protein) - Anyone Still Eat This Stuff? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

TVP - those chewy little brown bits of processed soya that you would find in every standard veggiefied recipe back in the eighties.

Anyone still buy and cook with this stuff? Or has it been supplanted with more modern meat substitutes by most modern veggies?

I'm tempted to buy a 2kg bag from my regular on-line wholefood supplier and start cooking with it (never used it much in the past, but have dabbled), as we are cooking a lot from basics right now in an effort to minimise food shopping costs.

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-...Dark__2kg.html

There are constant innovations in veggie meat substitutes, but these can be expensive. What with the credit crunch maybe it's a worthwhile time to consider looking back at some of the old school veggie basics again. Or is it too outdated now?

Any TVP love here? Anyone fondly remember it, but no longer use? Anyone considering trying it, who's not tried it before? Any thoughts on the stuff?

Recipes welcomed btw!

The sky is purple and things are right every day

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 AM

I just used some this morning, to replace the ground beef in a stuffed cabbage roll recipe. It's not a huge part of my regular cooking rotation, but I do try to keep some on hand. My boyfriend grinds it up and uses the powder as a cheaper alternative to store-bought protein powders. I like it for taco fillings and chilis sometimes.
#3 Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not fond of the stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought a bag of it a while ago and have not tried making it yet.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#5 Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I use it, though not often.  It doesn't have much flavor so it works best mixed in with something else.  I've used in in veggie burgers and, well, that's all I can think of right now.  

#6 Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used it a bit here and there but it was mainly for things like chili or spaghetti where I used to use ground meat.  But then around a year ago I started using lentils instead since they have more nutrition in them and I've just continued doing that. 

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 05-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

I use it all the time, usually when making chili or adding to pasta sauce. I used to get it from the bins at the HFS, but I have discovered that the Mexican grocery stores sell a huge bag of it for a little over $3. And the chunks are much bigger than the stuff from the bins.

I think TVP is great, although I realize it imparts no flavor of it's own. It's perfect for absorbing excess water in from your food and adding texture.

Funny thing, for the first 5 years of being veg, I never heard of it. Once I found out about it, I have kept it in stock.

#8 Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I use it because I have little choice of Vegan foods. I`m not too keen on it thought.

#9 Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I use tvp often.  Never rehydrate it in water, always use stock or the sauces you are using for the dish.  It is best just chucked into the main pot with the other ingredients and a little extra water/stock added, then it sucks up the flavours.  Then it just gives it texture, which is the whole point.

#10 Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I use it all the time, usually when making chili or adding to pasta sauce. I used to get it from the bins at the HFS, but I have discovered that the Mexican grocery stores sell a huge bag of it for a little over $3. And the chunks are much bigger than the stuff from the bins.

I think TVP is great, although I realize it imparts no flavor of it's own. It's perfect for absorbing excess water in from your food and adding texture.

Funny thing, for the first 5 years of being veg, I never heard of it. Once I found out about it, I have kept it in stock.

I know it's cheap as chips - unlike most more modern (and also more advanced) meat substitutes. I wasn't really a meat substitute kind of girl years ago, but now the OH is eating veggie too (which is a good thing) and he really likes 'meaty' style veggie grub so I'm including more meat substitutes now - principally ready made from the supermarket freezer, which are generally as pricey as meat based products.

Partly I've a curiosity for rediscovering 'retro' veggie classics. Old skool veggie bibles like Cranks and Not Just a Load of Old Lentils, do occupy my bookshelves. I still remember the poorly printed Vegetarian Society handouts you could once get, with minimal recipes for TVP Spag Bol and the like! Wish I had them now. I also once made a really fabulous Rogan Josh with the chunks from some tatty old crusty veggie book years ago, but alas stored no recipe for it which is also most frustrating. But that's by the by really, I think it's time to get a bag of the brown chewy stuff, and give those old skool TVP classics a whirl.

It's interesting that you say you didn't have a clue it existed, as it's definitely fallen out of favour I think, though maybe not with more old skool veggies so much who like me, still have their beloved and battered copies of The Cranks Recipe Book and Not Just a Load of Old Lentils on the shelf - not that either of those books necessarily have lots of TVP recipes, but that generation of veggies did use TVP a lot, as well as strange archaic and foul tasting brands like 'Granovita', which unlike TVP, no amount of retro nostalgia could will me to 'rediscover'!

#11 Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I use it. Not often, but I use it. Sometimes I'll toss some in chili, soup, bean/veggie burgers, and use as taco filling.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#12 Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Beginner

Yes I echo what a poster up thread said- if you soak the TVP in stock it tastes fine- sometimes I use a mixture of marmite and vecon dissolved in hot water and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Makes great chillis and spag bols and keema curry and taco filling etc. I have tried all the frozen minces available in the UK including the new Sainsburys I love soya and conclude that many of them are basically rehydrated TVP with flavouring added and then frozen for which they charge several times the price of dried TVP and take up precious freezer space, Not saying I don't ever use them but with careful prep you can achieve the same results for a fraction of the cost with TVP.

#13 Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986 View Post

Yes I echo what a poster up thread said- if you soak the TVP in stock it tastes fine- sometimes I use a mixture of marmite and vecon dissolved in hot water and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Makes great chillis and spag bols and keema curry and taco filling etc. I have tried all the frozen minces available in the UK including the new Sainsburys I love soya and conclude that many of them are basically rehydrated TVP with flavouring added and then frozen for which they charge several times the price of dried TVP and take up precious freezer space, Not saying I don't ever use them but with careful prep you can achieve the same results for a fraction of the cost with TVP.

Yay, Vecon! Always in my storecupboard next to the Marigold powder :) 

More runny now than it once was tho'. Why do manufacturers always feel compelled 'improve' their formulas?

Good point about frozen veggie mince too. Unless it's Quorn, it definitely tends to be 95% rehydrated and flavoured TVP (with maybe an ickle bit of wheat protein added).

There are some things -like veggie frankfurters- I'd never try to recreate from other more basic ingredients mind.

Though I know there are indeed intrepid home cooks who do so, I tend to think 'fast food' should actually be 'fast food', be it traditional meat based or a veggie alternative. Otherwise it seems the whole point of the stuff is being missed somewhere ;-)

#14 Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular

The Amy's brand canned chili I like uses it, and I really like it in that. It makes the chili taste really meaty, so much so that I had to double-check that I had actually bought vegetarian chili.

#15 Old 05-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Beanitarian

I use it sometimes but only as a stretcher.  I don't care for it as a main ingredient--it has a bland, slightly unpleasant flavor to me.

When I use it as an ingredient in a dish full of other stuff, as long as it's got a ton of flavor, it's hard to notice the tvp.

I think tvp is great because it's light in weight, dirt cheap and very healthy--a great solution for those folks who believe they can't eat healthy b/c fresh/frozen/canned stuff is too expensive or spoils on their walk home from the grocery store.

Beanitarian.
#16 Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I remember not liking it when I first tried it but that was several years ago when I first went veg and I didn't really know what I was doing. Maybe I should give it another try.
#17 Old 05-31-2012, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

Yay, Vecon! Always in my storecupboard next to the Marigold powder :) 

More runny now than it once was tho'. Why do manufacturers always feel compelled 'improve' their formulas?

Yes it does seem runnier - and of course, lovely though it is, it is not cheap and I seem to get through it quicker now.....

#18 Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Been vegan for five years and have never cooked with it although in the past I'm sure I've eaten foods with it in the ingredients.  I won't touch the stuff nowadays.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#19 Old 05-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to use it back in about 2002 or 2003 for tacos.  I haven't used it since and prefer a whole-foods vegetable, fruit, and nuts & seeds diet.

#20 Old 06-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Once upon a time I used it in tacos and chili, now I use bulgur wheat where I formerly used TVP (or TSP technically ... it's like 'Kleenix' and 'tissue' TVP is a trademark, TSP the generic name ... but I digress)

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#21 Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

There used to be a vegetarian chili I liked that had TVP in it.

But I really don't like it anymore. It makes my stomach hurt, and I don't really think it adds anything to most vegetarian dishes I like.

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page