Best food to take on a trip? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I need to pack food for 4 people for 7 days. We'll be able to buy fresh fruits and veggies, but need to take everything else. The food will be transported on an airplane, so foods that don't weigh a lot or take up much room are best. Once I get there, I will have a small kitchen, but I won't want to spend a lot of time preparing food.

So far this is all I have:

1. Powdered soymilk
2. Cereal
3. lentils
4. brown rice
5. pasta
6. bottle of olive oil
7. dried fruits
8. nuts
9. cookies
10. tortillas
11. spices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Where are you going and what are you doing?

#3 Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

In addition to what you've listed, things I couldn't live without:

Veggie bouillon cubes
Nutritional Yeast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-25-2012, 12:33 AM

What about TVP?

It's relatively light and easy to prepare, just rehydrate and season. I smell a taco night coming on!
#5 Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 AM

I'm boarding a flight to Mexico as I type this! I packed 2 quart sized containers of shelf almond milk/hemp milk in my *check-in* bag and then packed a bunch if protein/raw bars in my carry-on. I found a vegan "picnic" meal in the airport store it comes with plantain chips, black bean dip, trail mix, dark chocolate, etc. and I also bought a soy latte from a random java place. My resortluckily has a smoothie/juicing/fresh fruit bar, Asian restaurant (I contacted resort and they confirmed that they have tofu wee!) and coffee house (also confirmed that they have soy).
#6 Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going home for the summer (studying in the UK, live in Norway) and will only be travelling for one day. What I'm planning on bringing is a big bottle of smoothie with protein powder in it to sip on every time I get hungry. I'll also bring some fruit, probably bananas since they fill me up relatively quickly.

I don't like to eat when I'm travelling, so I'll probably have a big breakfast before I leave and then just have those two previously mentioned items until I arrive back home. Then I'll have a big meal, but on the train/flight I'll probably only eat when I'm really hungry.

#7 Old 07-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Jon
Veggie Regular

The biggest problem I find is the restriction on liquids in carry on when travelling.  On a recent trip from Germany to US (and back) I would have loved to be able to take a large smoothie both ways, but the restriction made it impossible.

The hotel I stayed in had a microwave (haven't used one in over 10 years) and fridge, but if it had a kitchen I might feel a little uncertain about using shared utensils and pans and cutlery.  So in my take with me kit was a small chopping board, knife and cutlery.  I bought some paper plates (although I hate the throwaway mentality of this so next time I'll take something reusable).

Foodwise it depends where you go.  Fresh fruit and veg are generally easily available, how close to where you're stying is another question.  I always tend to goolge map for the hotel, and then search nearby for suprmarkets or fruit and veg places.

#8 Old 08-21-2013, 06:30 PM

Hey, guys! I realize this thread's been around quite a while, but I actually just wrote an article about plane-friendly vegan snacks. If anyone needs some inspiration, these five are what I brought with me on the flight(s) to China. Hope they help!

5 foods for jet lag prevention & general travel sanity

PS: The veggie bouillon cubes and nutritional yeast are both brilliant ideas! Nice one, Karenlovessnow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page