Quorn - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2004, 04:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been hearing a lot of people talk about Quorn products. Would you recommend them? I just looked on their website and found one store that carries them. But I also found out that "a small amount of egg white and milk ingredients are used in making Quorn products" so they aren't considered vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2004, 04:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quorn isn;t vegan, but it is vegetarian.

I'd recommend giving it a go. (I'd recomend trying anything once.) I like to eat quorn from time to time, and I enjoy it.
#3 Old 03-29-2004, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I once tried Quorn when i was vegetarian can't say i liked it too much, it tends to taste of meat which i hated and i found it really dry, but that could just be me. I'd try it you may find it's the best thing ever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2004, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

No, it's not vegan and in some of their products they use eggs from chickens which aren't free range. So it depends how you feel about that. I used to eat a fair amount of quorn when I was vegetarian, and I liked it a lot.
#5 Old 03-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Beginner

I'd reccommend giving Quorn a try. My favorite are the nuggets, which are great dipped in some mustard. I think the 'beef' crumbles are good in chili.
#6 Old 03-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quorn is Ok, but it has to be "just right" I use quorn pieces and fajita spice to make my own burritos from time to time.
#7 Old 03-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

I've been hearing a lot of people talk about Quorn products. Would you recommend them? I just looked on their website and found one store that carries them. But I also found out that "a small amount of egg white and milk ingredients are used in making Quorn products" so they aren't considered vegan.

Yes, I'd recommend them. But they are not vegan. And if you have any kind of allergies to mushrooms or fungi, you might have a bad reaction. And yes they do tend to dry out easily if you microwave them, so "under-nuke" them or steam them or whatever. And yes I like the nugget style best. I tried the "loaf" style, but that was pretty tasteless.
#8 Old 03-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only tried the chicken cutlets style. It emulates real chicken better than any product I've tried...which is kind of a weird experience. But my omni family loved it. I'm hoping to try more varieties but the only store I can buy it at is 30 minutes away and they were all out of almost all of it the last time I went.
#9 Old 03-31-2004, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I like the Quorn roast with Hain Vegetarian chicken flavored gravy. You've got to have gravy with it or it's a little too dry and bland, like turkey.
#10 Old 03-31-2004, 05:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried Quorn for the first time ever yesterday (yes - I know I posted a 'mock meats' discussion on this board earlier, but that wasn't nessisary damming them...) I used its mince form and made a veggie spag bol for my fiance and best friend.

It was bloody expensive compared to mince meat, and vegtables (Id normally shred tomatoes and onions and add peppers, plum tomatoes, mushrooms, kidney beans and a few carrots and seasoning to make a vegtable spagetti bolanaise) but t was interesting. It didn't quite cohere like beef mince, which was good and bad and it tasted a bit spicy (I don't know if my fiance snook in some extra seasoning or if thats just its taste) but I was pleased with the results.

Its still way too expensive for someone who is running their own household at age 20
#11 Old 03-31-2004, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom just showed me an article the other day about Quorn. It's about how there are people trying to get quorn recalled or something, because people are getting sick. Quorn is made out of mycoprotein, which they say is "a synonym for mold." I've never eaten it, and I don't know anything about it. Maybe they're just a bunch of veggie-haters, but here is the site about the complaints:

http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#12 Old 03-31-2004, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I've read about that, but no one in my family got sick. It sounds like some people just have allergies to the fungus it's made out of. Lots of people have food allergies, but it doesn't make the food bad. I wonder if this organization thinks that whole foods should stop selling peanuts too because they make some people ill.
#13 Old 04-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel. The article mentioned that too, that there are always people who will get sick from SOMETHING. It does talk about how it's biotechnology though, so that's something to think about at least.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#14 Old 04-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

there's a lot of quorn threads somewhere else on VB. My husband has been eating quorn for a decade. It's been a popular meat substitute in the UK for years and I've never heard of any adverse comments over here. Never tried it myself.
#15 Old 04-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

The CSPI will have a go at anything. They made abig fuss about fried foods causing cancer.

The fact is that some people are allergic to quorn. That is why some people have an adverse reaction to it. It's a bit like nuts: Some people are allergic to nuts. There is such thing as an allergy to mycoprotein.

However, quorn is perfectly safe. Unless you're allergic to it. Same with nuts, sesame seeds and wheat.
#16 Old 04-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to eat quorn before I was vegan, and I would recommend them. I mostly ate the 'deli slices' and quorn chunks.

Hanged Man, have you tried using RealEat Vegemince? It swells to twice its size when you add water during cooking, so a bag of it goes quite far. I think it costs about £1.99 for 454g bag and you'll find it in the freezer section
#17 Old 04-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeh, Quorn is good, if, like me, u like the taste of meat. This morning i had a sandwich with a Quorn turkey deli slice, they're nice. I like the "pork" and onion sausages too (in a sandwich with tomatoe sauce!). Tonight my mams making shephards pie, so i bought myself a Quorn Cottage Pie, so that i can eat with them, it looks nice enough.

I'm surprised how many Quorn products u can get. I've seen barbecued chicken pieces, ribs, mince, burgers, turkey burgers (taste nice, have a strange smell!), chicken pate etc. There certainly is a selection.

I bought most of my Quorn soon as i quit eating meat in case i needed a meat fix. But i actually don't want to eat it much, i'm getting over my meat craving pretty fast!
#18 Old 04-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

unless you live in the US. We have 8 products. UK has over a hundred.

I bought the chicken nuggets a couple days ago, but haven't tried em yet.
#19 Old 04-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried it before. As I remember, it is the closest I've ever had to real meat and I didn't like it much, but then I never liked real meat very much.
#20 Old 04-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used vegemince. It works best in bolognese. I'd advise it over the quorn mince.

If you're gonna have quorn, have the quorn "chicken" rather than the other stuff it imitates. Oh yes, and they do this turkey w/ stuffing flavour quorn deli slice thing. That's delicious.
#21 Old 04-03-2004, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy View Post

Hanged Man, have you tried using RealEat Vegemince? It swells to twice its size when you add water during cooking, so a bag of it goes quite far. I think it costs about £1.99 for 454g bag and you'll find it in the freezer section

Thanks

I know I must sound like a right miser, but with the mortgage, bills, my wedding, the savings account and my driving lessons I don't really have money for food or drink.

I'll pick up some realEat mince next time I do a big shop. Thanks Bobsy.
#22 Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I just tried the quorn chicken filets the other day. They are a bit crunchier than either my gf or I wanted them to be, but the flavor of the "meat" is simply delicious! I am looking forward to trying the chicken "roast" we bought.
#23 Old 04-30-2004, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I love the stuff. Since we dont have the deli slices in the US, i buy the turkey roast and slice it really thin, omins love it too. The sandwich chicken patties are a fav of mine too. However, i wasnt too fond of their hot dogs and beef like products. But for fake bird products, i think nothing else comes close.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page