Quick Soaking for Nuts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2012, 08:04 AM

Anybody have a method to quick soak nuts? They always tell you to soak overnight, so I do, and then I forget or get busy... Or... Anybody know how long nuts will stay ok to use after having sat in water in the fridge for a few days? ^.^ lol I'm a mess, I know...

~*~Suavley Magic Lemon~*~
Sour as hell
but also magical ^.^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

What is the reason to soak them ? What kind of nuts ?

Just sponge them and dry them out. They'll keep in the fridge in an airtight container.

I often freeze mine as I stock up when I'm in the UK and keep them for a few months.
#3 Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM

You freeze them after soaking? I would think the ice crystals would kinda destroy the nut but if I could freeze them that would be awesome. The reason for soaking is because I am using them to make nut cheeses. After soaking they get blended up in the food processor with spices and make a paste, then you bake the paste into a form and you can use it on salads and sandwiches and stuff. I have used several different kinds of nuts this way but today I specifically forgot about some almonds I had soaking... Oh and yes, I always keep my raw nuts in the freezer. ^.^ Thanks!

Sour as hell
but also magical ^.^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never made nut cheese before. What does it taste like ? Anyway, I see no reason why you couldn't freeze them.

I freeze flour and nuts (unsoaked) because it gets very hot overhere during summertime.
#5 Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Here is a link to a nut cheese I tried recently and liked a lot. It tastes creamy and a bit lemony with a pepper bite. It takes time, but it's worth it if you just want a semi-soft cheese-type thing. I like nut cheese because it's more simple to make than block uncheeses and generally more tasty (and less expensive) than store bought. I used it mostly in salad but it would be good on crackers or a sandwich too...

http://www.mightyvegan.com/2012/03/2...n-goat-cheese/

Sour as hell
but also magical ^.^
#6 Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

I've simmered cashews for about 10 minutes, then drained when i've forgotten to soak overnights.
I don't know what happens if they sit in water too long-If they taste okay I would use them--but that's me, I dont know if there's a reason not to!

I love making "cheese' stuff with nuts! Lots of garlic in mine! Not too much nutritional yeast...

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 AM

Yes! I wondered about simmering them instead of soaking (like you would do with beans, right?) Thanks for the confirmation! ^.^

Sour as hell
but also magical ^.^
#8 Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic.Lemon View Post

Here is a link to a nut cheese I tried recently and liked a lot. It tastes creamy and a bit lemony with a pepper bite. It takes time, but it's worth it if you just want a semi-soft cheese-type thing. I like nut cheese because it's more simple to make than block uncheeses and generally more tasty (and less expensive) than store bought. I used it mostly in salad but it would be good on crackers or a sandwich too...

http://www.mightyvegan.com/2012/03/2...n-goat-cheese/

That is worth the try for something a bit different. I'll give it a try when I get back from my holiday.

Does it taste like paté or cheese ?

I really miss Cheddar cheese espcially for cooking.
#9 Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 AM

It's very close to real cheese. The texture would certainly fool a cheese eater. The flavor... well, I am going to play with it, but I think the lemon and tahini are a bit too pronounced. I used to be the biggest cheese fan and I miss the flavor of cheddar too (though not the feelings it gave me to eat it)!

Sour as hell
but also magical ^.^
#10 Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Banned

Talking of soaking one nuts ..

I think it's time for my bath now.
#11 Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM

was waiting for that... ^.^

Sour as hell
but also magical ^.^
#12 Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 AM
Veggie Regular

that cheese looks amazing! I miss chevre. I will have to give it a go.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page