I need the best birthday cake please - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Long story short, I promised my ex husband a vegan birthday cake and am stressing about it. I am thinking of using my sheet cake pan and cutting it it half to make it a double layer cake. I also think a simple vanilla cake with chocolate frosting. Please any tip, tricks or recipes that will impress. I am so nervous.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2012, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 04-18-2012, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Nothing that fancy, I need simple but extra tasty recipes. I am just a learning baker. I have been looking online for weeks now.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

#5 Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I use recipes from VCTOTW and make them into big cakes - they are very reliable which is great, I find recipes online are very hit or miss which knocks your confidence as a novice baker! I would also suggest a recipe with something like banana in - it produces moist cakes that are less likley to sink in my experience, and always taste scrumtous with a lovley texture. My favourite is the banana recipe from VCTOTW and it never fails, and is flexible as you can add chocolate/coffee/nuts/etc. They also have a great chocolate mouse icing that is always a hit. I don't know if you have time/etc to buy the book but really that is what I would recommend.

Before I got good vegan baking books I tried using online recipes, and was convinced vegan cakes were impossible. Now I realise it was just unreliable recipes! I don't often trust the internet for baking anymore, unless it is from a cookery website/etc.

I don't know how novice you are so excuse me if I point out the obvious, my tips are:
- don't open the oven when your cake is in it, or it will sink
- use soya milk if asked for it - not rice/oat/etc, I find soya milk is much better in baking
- use good quality vanilla if your using it, in vegan cakes it often adds flavour that is missing in lack of butter and eggs
- DON'T PANIC! So often I've had problems baking, and it's always my mum that rescues it and turns it into something beautiful. Try not to worry, icing will cover a multitude of sins
- Use part vegetable shortening and part margerine if you are making butter icing, that way you can pipe the icing as it is stiffer, and piped icing is a really easy way to make a cake look fancy and special!

I hope some of that was helpful...
#6 Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I've got a few on my blog. I have adapted them from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World to be more appealing to not-vegans, since most of my family can tell when there is soy milk in cake, and they complain of the taste.

What size cake pans do you own? I use a six inch diameter round cake pan, and one recipe will make enough batter to fill it high enough that the cake will puff up over the rim, so I just slice a bit off, which makes a nice flat cake, or I will use an eight inch diameter round cake pan, and won't have to slice any off. I always grease, flour, and use a round piece of parchment paper, cut to the size of the pan, which I also grease and flour, and put in the bottom of the pan, to ensure that the cake comes out of the pan perfectly.

Liquid lecithin is easy to find in the health food store, but if you can't find it you can omit it. I like the texture it produces, and to me it is the best way to emulsify your fat, sugar, and liquid, when you are not baking with eggs.

I have done these recipes at big parties and small ones, and people really do rave. I have even had cupcakes get stolen. There are never any leftovers either. The lemon macadamia recipe is probably the most popular, but also the most tricky. I think raising the oven temperature from 350 to 375 made it foolproof, but I haven't baked it enough times since I tried that to be sure. You don't need to toss a cake that has sunk a bit in the middle though. Just trim the high parts off.

Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Frosting

Lemon Macadamia Cake

Coconut Lime Cake

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#7 Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Not a round one, a 9x13 square one. I may look for a round one I just am super broke right now.

Marilyn Monroe
#8 Old 04-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok, might have to double the recipes to fit a 9x13.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#9 Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

~~~~~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#10 Old 04-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

#11 Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/746

Wonder how this and the glaze would turn out.

Bad reviews. Ouch.

Marilyn Monroe
#12 Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

http://thetolerantvegan.com/2010/12/...ream-frosting/

Oh my, maybe this. Sorry I tend to obsess.

Marilyn Monroe
#13 Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

So Ive made my girlfriend a s'more ice cream cake. It is a lot more simple than it sounds.

first get a 3 set of matching aluminum cake pans (the disposable ones make it easier and are cheap, hey its a birthday cake, once a year, splurge!)
then soften (but dont melt) a pint of vegan chocolate ice cream (or whatever flavor u want really) by leaving it on the counter for a bit (dont forget it!).
Then line one of the cake pans with plastic wrap and fill it with ice cream, even it out and put a layer of plastic wrap on top and put it in the freezer to harden over night.
The next day you will bake the cake, there are numerous recipes but this one is pretty close to the one is used last year. You can thrown in some chocolate chip for an extra kick.
Make two layers by baking in separate tins (cutting even layers isnt so easy). Then assemble the layers (once cool!), a layer of cake on the bottom, some rice mellow cream or chocolate frosting (ur choice) for binding then the ice cream layer (remove the plastic wrap!) then another layer of binder and finally the op layer of cake it added. Work quickly and put the cake back in the freezer for a little bit before frosting.
Frost it up in vanilla or chocolate, dust it with graham cracker crumbs, and add some vegan marshmallows and immediately put it back in the freezer. Use a torch lighter to toast marshmallows on individual slices just before serving (dont toast em all at once)

I know it sounds complex but it really is super easy for an ice cream cake and it really impresses folks.

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#14 Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

Chloe Coscorelli has a recipe for chocolate cake using a 9x13 pan, and also for the frosting. It looks like a really easy recipe.
Ignore the picture she has posted, you don't have to make it fancy like that.

http://chefchloe.com/sweets/haunted-...ayer-cake.html

I second this. It's the same recipe as in her cookbook, I've made with cocoa, and instant coffee.
Baking soda/ vinegar cakes are easy, and foolproof if you remember:
Preheat oven.
After adding the wet mix to dry, mix till all blended, but don't overmix.
Pour in pan, then get right into oven.

I made a frosting with about 1 cup veg shortening, maybe two cups powdered sugar with cocoa and 2T. instant coffee in 2T hot water and cooled

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#15 Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

~~~~~

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#16 Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Made this with half light soymilk instead of water and mostly apple sauce and added a bit of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=25720.0
And a vegan cream cheese frosting that I could not get properly thick I thought.

Everyone loved it.

Marilyn Monroe
#17 Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Long story short, I promised my ex husband a vegan birthday cake and am stressing about it. I am thinking of using my sheet cake pan and cutting it it half to make it a double layer cake. I also think a simple vanilla cake with chocolate frosting. Please any tip, tricks or recipes that will impress. I am so nervous.

Yum! This is one of my favorite types of cake.Thanks for posting this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page