I just made black bean burgers! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Potatotarian

I have been wanting to try them, but I hate recipes. Then it occurred to me that I have the basic cooking skills required to mash up beans and fry them . So I threw together: 1 can black beans (I didn't drain the water), 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (next time I'll try oatmeal), 2 eggs, garlic powder, salt, and minced onion. Next time I'll add chili powder. Smashed it up with a whisk, because apparently, I don't have a potato masher . It turned out kinda like muffin batter, which worked great, because I could just spoon it onto the frying pan instead of forming patties. Then I fried them with a little coconut oil and Voila! They were excellent, even my meat obsessed mom like them. Recipe made 10 burgers, though some were small. If I made them into boca-sized burgers, it would probably make about 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2012, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Yay!!! Oatmeal works great too and you can even omit the eggs to make it vegan. (FYI: You can use a couple tablespoons of bbq sauce to help bind it together if it's too dry without eggs).
#3 Old 04-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Beginner

Would these be likely to fall apart on a grill/broiler?
Is the frying essential for the patties to maintain
their form?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Meh, my burgers always turns out too bland.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Add cayenne
#6 Old 04-18-2012, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Add **** sauce or curry or tons of red pepper or all of it. I always play with spices in my cooking.

I must make bb burgers. I make awesome lentil ones.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#7 Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Nice! I suck at coming up with recipes on my own, but love black bean burgers from a recipe. You can also use ground up flax seeds + water to replace the egg too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Cumin and coriander often help with flavor in my meatless burger recipes.

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
#8 Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Potatotarian

I thought about doing the flax egg replacement, but I had no idea if they would even work in the first place, so I stuck with what I knew .

These would need to be cooked before putting on the grill, because the consistency is like muffin batter. I don't see why you couldn't bake them. You could re-heat on a grill, they hold their shape nicely once cooked.
#9 Old 04-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkelpie View Post

I thought about doing the flax egg replacement, but I had no idea if they would even work in the first place, so I stuck with what I knew .

These would need to be cooked before putting on the grill, because the consistency is like muffin batter. I don't see why you couldn't bake them. You could re-heat on a grill, they hold their shape nicely once cooked.

I always bake my burgers - lentil walnut ones, black bean ones etc. Works well for me!

#10 Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Beginner

I tried doing this.

I did something wrong.

I think I went wrong not using eggs.
My bonding agent wasn't bonding enough.
My blackbean patty was very soft even
after cooking.

It tasted quite good still, just an odd consistency.
#11 Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiii View Post

I tried doing this.

I did something wrong.

I think I went wrong not using eggs.
My bonding agent wasn't bonding enough.
My blackbean patty was very soft even
after cooking.

It tasted quite good still, just an odd consistency.

One of my favorite recipes for black bean burgers calls for mushrooms processed in a food processor to give the patty more body and texture. And if you're not a mushroom fan that's okay because you can't taste them at all, really their only purpose is the texture in the recipe.

Here's the one I use. I leave out the cheddar and use a flax "egg" in place of a regular egg.
http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...?recipe=693849

#12 Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

This is my favourite recipe for bean/veggie burgers from http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2009...om-vegetables/ When I make them I use sundried tomatoes, carrots and red pepper for the veg and after it has been pureed i stir in a half cup of sweet corn before I form the burgers. I use buckwheat flour as the binder. I always bake them and they come out great. We're having them tomorrow night!
Springtime Veggie Burgers

adapted from Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook

These burgers really do evoke spring, with their multicolored flecks of vegetable matter, garden flavors and lighter texture. Theyre perfect baked, as I made them, but would be great on the grill as well.

1 cup (240 ml) cooked, drained beans (I used chickpeasbut black beans, kidney beans, navy beans or pinto beans would be wonderful in these)

1 cup (240 ml) chopped mixed vegetables (I used carrot, celery, red pepper and tomato) or vegetable pulp from a juicer

1 small onion, cut into chunks

1/2 cup (120 ml) raw sunflower seeds

1 Tbsp (15 ml) raw pumpkin seeds

1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped

1 Tbsp (15 ml) Braggs, tamari or soy sauce

1/2 tsp (5 ml) dried dill weed

1/2 tsp (5 ml) dried basil

1/2 tsp (5 ml) dried tarragon

1/4 tsp (1 ml) fine sea salt

dash cayenne

1 tsp (5 ml) finely ground flax seeds

1/4-1/2 cup (60 ml-120 ml) flour (I used chickpea, but any mild-flavored flour would do; and finely ground breadcrumbs would be great in these)

Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or spray with nonstick spray.

Place everything except the flour in the bowl of a food processor and blend until almost smooth and only small flecks of vegetables remain (I like my burgers fairly homogenous; if you prefer chunkier burgers, process a bit less). Sprinkle with 1/4 cup (60 ml) flour to start, and pulse to combine; check the texture of the mixture with your hands. It should be very moist but still hold together. If the mixture is too wet, add more flour until desired consistency is reached.

Shape the mixture into 6-8 burgers, depending on how big youd like them. Flatten each burger to 1/2 inch (2.5 cm) thickness and place on the cookie sheet, spacing evenly (these wont spread as they bake).

Bake about 15 minutes on one side, then flip and bake another 10-15 minutes on the other side, until burgers are lightly browned. These may also be cooked on a flat grill; spray with olive oil spray and grill 8-10 minutes on one side, then flip and grill another 5-8 minutes on the other side.

Serve in buns with all the accoutrements, roll into wraps with tortillas or leafy greens, or serve with flatbreads. Makes 3-6 servings. May be frozen.

© Diet, Dessert and Dogs (http://dietdessertndogs

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#13 Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

These all sound great! Sometimes I use some cooked rice in mine to bind them. Now I want a bean burger!
#14 Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

picturess!
#15 Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never been happy with the texture when I've made them. They look great, but the texture doesn't follow suit. And when you're putting it in a bun with condiments the texture really needs to hold up. To me it's always tasted like biting into mush, which the exception of chickpea cutlets, which get their density from gluten powder.
#16 Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Beginner

Sounds so yummy!

And I agree with SuicideBlonde, I make yummy lentil ones!! Yum yum yum!

♥ ♥ My vegan recipe blog: http://veggieful.com ♥ 

#17 Old 05-17-2012, 06:54 AM
Beginner

I think I'm frying it wrong. How do you correctly fry things?

I'm sure this sounds really dumb but I don't ever really fry food.
#18 Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

One of my favorite recipes for black bean burgers calls for mushrooms processed in a food processor to give the patty more body and texture. And if you're not a mushroom fan that's okay because you can't taste them at all, really their only purpose is the texture in the recipe.

Here's the one I use. I leave out the cheddar and use a flax "egg" in place of a regular egg.

and this is awesome! thanks!
#19 Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiii View Post

I think I'm frying it wrong. How do you correctly fry things?

I'm sure this sounds really dumb but I don't ever really fry food.

baking them works best for me!

#20 Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

I've made these vegan a couple of times since you posted this! I use oats instead of bread crumbs and add BBQ sauce and sriracha. My son's omni friends scarfed them down (on onion rolls with great tomato slices, red onions, shredded cabbage. I had veganaise in a dish with the ketchup and mustard so as not to freak anyone out. ) We had spicy potato wedges with them; I know teenage boys are always hungry, but they really loved these burgers! Thanks for the recipe.
#21 Old 05-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I've made these vegan a couple of times since you posted this! I use oats instead of bread crumbs and add BBQ sauce and sriracha. My son's omni friends scarfed them down (on onion rolls with great tomato slices, red onions, shredded cabbage. I had veganaise in a dish with the ketchup and mustard so as not to freak anyone out. ) We had spicy potato wedges with them; I know teenage boys are always hungry, but they really loved these burgers! Thanks for the recipe.

Awesome!! I'm so glad! I love to share winning recipes. So glad it went over well with the omni-teen boys too!

#22 Old 05-18-2012, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I made some great kidney bean burgers last year. They were so delicious... never made black bean though...
#23 Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe I can whip up some of these next time my dad has a barbeque.
#24 Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Add **** sauce or curry or tons of red pepper or all of it. I always play with spices in my cooking.

I must make bb burgers. I make awesome lentil ones.

What sauce?!?

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#25 Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

What sauce?!?

ummm, I'm guessing rooster, lol.
#26 Old 05-18-2012, 03:41 PM
Beanitarian

I'd really like to grill some homemade veggie burgers. I don't care about fat content and I can't eat flax. Suggestions?

I'm thinking of mashing veg/spices/beans and the pureed mushrooms as suggested earlier, along with a little pureed overcooked pasta to bind, and lots of fat.

I have a patty maker thingee but my attempts thus far have always come out the wrong consistency to grill.

Beanitarian.
#27 Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I would love to find a recipe that holds up on the grill as well.
#28 Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a recipe for bb burgers that doesn't take egg and holds together pretty well. I will post it when I have time. It did call for cheese which I leave out and they get a little crumbly but not bad. It has salsa which I think helps moisten it and hold it together some.
#29 Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

I never make bean burgers the same. I do like to use 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten to 3 cups beans.
Sauteed chopped veggies like onion, celery, and mushrooms
Oatmeal (dry) or any cooked grain
My favorite seasonings are Old Bay/curry and garam masala/red pepper and chili/ or A1

Most important- hot, lightly oiled, cast iron!

Any tips on grilling?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#30 Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

My dad always swore by his cast iron skillet. However, food from one always tastes like iron to me.

I was nosing around trying to find a bb burger recipe for the grill, and found one instead for tofu burgers which are supposed to hold up better for grilling. I am so going to try those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page