Long-Lasting "Milk"? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-15-2012, 06:06 PM

I usually have oatmeal during the week, which I make with water, but on the weekends I like some Kashi cereal or Kix with some soy milk. However, that means that I end up usually with more than half a carton of unused, spoiled soymilk, because I don't use it up quickly enough. Is there any certain type of soy/nut/rice milk, etc., that lasts longer than a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

The milk I buy usually lasts close to a month. I usually switch between soy, and almond. I don't see a difference in brands. Maybe when you buy it, dig to the newer cartons at the back of the fridge, your store probably just doesn't sell them fast enough. Or you could buy smaller cartons.
#3 Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I use almond breeze and it lasts well beyond the "use within" time frame specified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

My almond milk seems to NEVER go bad.
#5 Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I would recommend getting individual cartons of soymilk - more packaging, but less waste if you can't drink it in time. Another option would be to make milk from scratch, just as much as you'll use -- easy ones to make are almond milk or oat milk if you have a decent blender or food processor.
#6 Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Give peas a chance

It's easy to make small batches of milk from almonds, cashews or oats (soak, blend well in a processor, strain the pulp). In the case of oat milk, it is also extremely cheap. Then you could make up just enough for the weekend and not have to worry about stretching it out.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#7 Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

We use soymilk powder. Just shake it into a jar with water. The kind we get out of the bulk bins tastes nicer than rice milk anyway, and it's cheap.

It doesn't last that long but you can just make how much you want.
#8 Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

It's easy to make small batches of milk from almonds, cashews or oats (soak, blend well in a processor, strain the pulp). In the case of oat milk, it is also extremely cheap. Then you could make up just enough for the weekend and not have to worry about stretching it out.

Hmmm...I think I want to try and make oat milk!
#9 Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

The milk I buy usually lasts close to a month.

Yeah, I've only had my soymilk go bad once, and that was went I went away on vacation. It lasts much longer than dairy milk (except for the organic varieties which are often heated to higher temperatures).
#10 Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy a litre carton of either oat or soya milk. I use it for breakfast for oats and for smoothies.

If I have some letover I just freeze it and whizz it up for making smoothies. It has exactly the same texture and taste.
#11 Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I find a half-gallon carton of soymilk last for weeks in my fridge. You could consider pouring half of it into a secondary container and freezing it though, and just thaw it out when you are done with what's in the fridge.
#12 Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

I buy 365 almond milk and it says use within 7 days after opening, but I never throw it out....
#13 Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Fill leftovers in plasticbags that "makes" ice-cubes. And then you can use it in soups and other warm meals. You can also do that with leftover of wine.
#14 Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I never have soy/almond milks go bad but I also use them well within the 7-10 day range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I would recommend getting individual cartons of soymilk - more packaging, but less waste if you can't drink it in time.

I would suggest this as well or get a quart of soymilk instead of a full half gallon.
#15 Old 04-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

Ive only just started drinking almond milk, since a brand here has just started making it cheap. I'd had a carton in the fridge for 2 weeks and just tipped it - it looked and smelt fine but since the box said use within 5 days i figured no way itd be ok. Maybe next time I wont tip it!

I have the same problem though, I dont drink enough "milk" (I never liked milk as an omni, so its not something I needed to replace in my diet) and loathe opening a carton to do some cooking or to make hot chocolate and then have loads left which does indeed go off. My solution is mini cartons! Theyre meant to be lunch box sized, but I find they are just over a cup which is perfect. I can only find Kara coconut milk in that size, but I prefer it to soy anyway. It costs more to purchase, but obviously not in the long run as theres no waste product.
#16 Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I use almond breeze and it lasts well beyond the "use within" time frame specified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

I buy 365 almond milk and it says use within 7 days after opening, but I never throw it out....

Wow really.....mine always gets thick and gross and I wont drink it like that and I never drink it past the seven days but thats just me cause I have severe allergies....lol.....people always poke fun at me for watching dates soooo close but thats just me......

Peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#17 Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I use almond milk and it stays good for 2+ weeks. It says to use within a week, but we have kept it much longer than that. We just use it till it runs out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page