Diabetic meals for picky omni mother - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I go to my mothers house twice a week and do some light cleaning and random chores. I would like to also bring some healthy meals I freeze and that she can microwave as needed. She eats horribly canned soup, frozen junk meals and constantly eats out. My point she never cooks, hardly ever has. "The queen dose not cook" is how she puts it. Also "healthy" versions of junk foods I can give her. She did lose some weight due to her being hospitalized and in a rehab place where she was fed and not eating restaurant food constantly. Thank you.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a menu plan for vegan diabetics from the VRG.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Not working.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Gib
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Not working.

The url is typed twice. Remove the second half of it.
#5 Old 03-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

My MIL is diabetic and omni but she's recently reduced her meat consumption drastically as a result of having broken her dentures and it taking forever to replace them. She lost a bunch of weight, reduced her insulin needs, and is in overall better health.

Yet she's still not ready to go vegetarian or vegan. She's got some hang-ups about what constitutes "real" food as well as some interesting other dietary requirements (doesn't tolerate beans and many veggies well). Mostly when we dine together we just go out to eat. But I have had success by offering her cookbooks to browse through and letting her choose a meal. The ones my husband and I offer are of course vegan because we won't cook nonvegan foods but they're good for her because they give the nutritional info right there on the recipe page.

For diabetics who are using insulin, any dietary change is very stressful (with good reason because insulin can be very dangerous if used improperly). So even though we all know that many diabetics could be so much healthier if they just went veg, the transition to going veg must be monitored by a doctor so that insulin can be reduced as the diet changes. Anyway, the point is that a lot of insulin-dependent diabetics rely heavily on processed food because of the precise nutritional info on the packages makes it easier for them to calculate their insulin needs. It's a terrible catch 22. They could be healthier eating a whole food plant based diet but doing that takes more work and there are some risks involved (just like stopping any long-term medication, there are often risks even if the reason to stop is because you're healthier and don't need it). So... when I show her recipes that have the nutritional info she is more willing to try them. Maybe you could so something like that.
#6 Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

No, it is because she very rarely cooks ever (for holidays and her church groups). She would rather go get chicken chow mein and things of that nature and say it is healthy because it has vegetables. She never cooked for me growing up and after I turned veg (like 15) she always brought home breaded and fried vegetables for me to eat. The weight loss was and is due to her not being able to drive to eat the fast food or diner food she loved. And hospital people feeding her. It has taken this past trip to the hospital for her to start doing her blood tests and insulin after many years of being type 2. (Now one of the family members has to check in with her at least once daily to see if she has been taking any of her medication)

This is a bit of a rant I guess sorry. I am just trying to figure out what to give her that would sustain her food wise, keep her from eating crap and easy for her to heat up. I fear at her age she is just way stuck in her ways.

Marilyn Monroe
#7 Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's recipes for vegan fast food, here's an article about the vegetarian diet (it mentions vegan, I'm not sure which one you are) from the American Diabetic Association, and here's the page with their different meal ideas. I hope this helps, and good luck.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#8 Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post

The url is typed twice. Remove the second half of it.

Thank you Gib! I don't know how I managed to do that! Anyways, I fixed the link.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#9 Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Can you do vegetable stir frys, making the sauce separately and freezing both? Also I like to make myself frozen burritos.... tortillas, peppers, refried beans, and salsa... roll them up, bake, and freeze. I do used canned refried beans, but you can cook up your own from a bag to reduce sodium if you want.... or just do all veggies. I top with "sour cream" when after warming them up in the microwave....

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#10 Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you! I will look up all of that. Its just so frustrating.

Marilyn Monroe
#11 Old 03-14-2012, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm reading Dr Barnard's Reversing Diabetes Program book, and it's very good. That might give you some insight too. Like Elaine said, with an insulin dependant diabetic, it can be trickier, but a veg diet can still be overall a healthier diet for them, allowing the insulin to be reduced. He too recommends vegetables, a few fruits, legumes. beans, and whole grain pastas over bread. He doesn't even knock the mock meats to get people off of meat and dairy, which he says to immediately stop. He doesn't recommend counting carbs or calories, as when you are eating whole foods, with the fiber intact, it'll fill you up, and you won't need to.

As far as recipes go, does she have a favorite ethnic food like Italian or Mexican? Cooking from that group of food would be a good place to start.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page