Extra Virgin Olive Oil - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Banned

I luv cooking (and eating), and since becoming vegan have turned into quite a foodie

Searching recipes and watching cooking shows I see many people cook with extra virgin olive oil. I don't get it? So I try it for myself and the oil burns and I can taste burned evoo in my dish or it smells so bad that I have to start over. When I learned about oils there was a list of oils too cook with and oils not to cook with, evoo is on the do not cook with list. I use regular olive oil to cook with most often and it tastes great, even when trying better quality evoo to cook with it ends up not so good.

Am I missing something about cooking with evoo? or do most people just dont know how to use oils properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I use evoo (extra virgin olive oil) to cook with all of the time. I also use walnut oil and grapeseed oil as they are all very good for you. I guess the secret is to not let the oil ever get too hot. Good luck.

Laura
#3 Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven815 View Post

I also use walnut oil and grapeseed oil as they are all very good for you. I guess the secret is to not let the oil ever get too hot.

So do you just not saute or roast with evoo? that's how i usually use oil when cooking to saute onions and veggies (usually on med to high heat to get a nice color) or roast in an oven at least 400 degrees F.

walnut oil is also another oil i wouldn't heat up because it is so delicate. grapeseed however is what i use for deep frying and high heat roasting, works great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to add evoo to sauces, right before serving, or just drizzled on each person's plate. I prefer to saute in high heat safflower oil. It seems to make less mess than other oils I've used. I fried my taco shells in it a few days ago and the stove top didn't get greasy! That was a first.

I'm pretty clueless about oils but I know Italians laugh at Americans' knowledge of olive oil.
#5 Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Try not to cook with oil. For dressing, always always ALWAYS use EVOO. It's simply the best dressing there is, with regards to nutrition and taste.
#6 Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essence of Life View Post

Try not to cook with oil.

how do you deep fry w/o oil?

falafel, egg rolls, taquitos, churros, donuts, and chips are some of my favorite foods to bring to potlucks and other gatherings.
#7 Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I pretty much don't deep fry anything. If I want something fried, I will oven fry it by just drizzling a little oil over what I am cooking. As far as stove top cooking, I guess I would add the food to the oil before it gets too hot and then you shouldn't burn the oil.

Laura
#8 Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe drizzle the flavorful EVOO on already-cooked or raw items and leave the cooking oil to coconut?
#9 Old 02-06-2012, 10:30 PM

Yeap penny is right, coconut is one of the most stable oils, and its the best to use for cooking. Any other oil I would only suggest consuming raw, they do not retain their properties when heated.

"Cowardice asks the question 'Is it safe?', expediency asks the question 'Is it politic?', vanity asks the question 'Is it popular?'. But conscience asks the question 'Is it right?' and there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but one must...
#10 Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Different oils smoke at different temperatures, and it can be harmful. Extra virgin olive oil is one that smokes at relatively low temps; this chart gives some good info (scroll down a little.) http://www.pccnaturalmarkets.com/guides/tips_cooking_oils.html
#11 Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

^^ yep.
extra virgin olive oil is really meant to be used in dressings and marinades. if you want to cook with olive oil use the one that isnt extra virgin and keep it low on the temp. rice bran oil is better for heating as it has a much higher smoking point and also has omega 3 as a bonus. altho, rice brain oil doesnt seem to be widely sold in the u.s.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#12 Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Banned

Yes, i know about oils and which are ok to cook with, which is why i started this thread bc so many recipes and cooking shows (rachel ray, giada, bobby flay) use evoo to cook with and i didnt get why. So i guess most people just dont know how to use oils.

So to those that dont know, evoo is not for Heated cooking.
#13 Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by azusapriss View Post

Yeap penny is right, coconut is one of the most stable oils, and its the best to use for cooking. Any other oil I would only suggest consuming raw, they do not retain their properties when heated.

Coconut oil is great but its certainly not the only oil ok to cook with, i wouldnt deep fry in coconut oil bc it would splatter like crazy and costs a fortune to fill up the fryer. Other high heat oils are grapeseed, and peanut oil. Also regular olive oil (not ev) is suitable for higher temps like roasting.
#14 Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Use rapeseed oil myself for cooking

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#15 Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I always use EVO for cooking. Just be careful not to let it get to hot ( before it starts to smoke) before adding the food.
#16 Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Use rapeseed oil myself for cooking

ewwww
#17 Old 02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

ewwww

hmm?

Canola oil?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#18 Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

nvm. didn't realize that was a real oil ^^
#19 Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

nvm. didn't realize that was a real oil ^^

Ah, you meant in that way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page