The Salad Lovers Thread - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I was trying to find an older thread on salads but it was taking too long. So, new year, new thread.

I love salads of all kinds. I could eat them day and night, every day of the week. I think of salads as a blank canvas. I can make a salad from any kind of ingredients that I like. I've made salads without lettuce. I've made coleslaw and skipped the mayonnaise dressing and dressed the coleslaw with a vinaigrette instead. I make HUGE salads and eat them as the main course, with soup and bread and sometimes a baked potato as the side dish.

These days I've been adding beets, walnuts and dried cherries to my salads for extra nutritional punch.

What about the rest of you salad lovers? What goes into your salads?

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Spinach.

No dressing.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Spinach.

No dressing.

Sounds like a pretty boring salad to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Sounds like a pretty boring salad to me.

Sorry, I prefer to eat my vegetables separate from each other.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#5 Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually have grated carrot, cherry tomatoes, cucumber sliced up with the skin removed, some type of lettuce or spinach, sweetcorn, peas and bell peppers.

I often add chickpeas or cooked cold pasta. My favourite dressing is vegan mayo but I also have lemon juice or balsamic with olive oil and sea salt. I want to experiment with dressings more.
#6 Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 AM

I love mixed green salads that also include fruit, like apples or fresh berries
#7 Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Also, vinaigrette is the worst dressing ever, anyone who puts balsamic vinegar in a salad at all deserves an evil glare to the face.

#8 Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I also love potato salad with vegan mayo and fresh chopped chives. Yum. I used to make eggless egg salad with tofu but I went off that a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Also, vinaigrette is the worst dressing ever, anyone who puts balsamic vinegar in a salad at all deserves an evil glare to the face.

Go eat your dry spinach Popeye.
#9 Old 01-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually use romaine, with cucumbers, tomatoes, nuts and raspberry vinaigrette. Now I wish I had lettuce because I have everything else...
#10 Old 01-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

deleted

#11 Old 01-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie View Post

Go eat your dry spinach Popeye.

eh, sometimes I put a bit of oil and spices in my salad

#12 Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE my mock ceasar salad.... it's soooo good.

I blend soaked cashews, pine nuts (or sunflower seeds), fresh lemon juice, olive oil, fresh garlic, sea salt, black pepper. Sometimes I'll throw some miso or nutritional yeast in, too, for more flavour

Pour that over a huge bowl of romaine leaves, with whatever veggies you desire (however it traditionally doesn't have many other things added)

Before I went gluten free I used to toss in some chopped up seitan (or Gardein chi'kn cutlets). You can add simulated bacon bits if you eat that kind of thing
#13 Old 01-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a huge salad fan!

I like spinach or some other sort of dark green lettuce or leafy thing. Tomatoes are a must. I almost always choose some sort of vinaigrette dressing; sometimes I just use vinegar without oil.

I also like to add carrots, cucumbers, a little bit of cheese, broccoli, artichokes, olives, beets, and some red cabbage. (There's an awesome salad bar at my food coop; that's how I sometimes have such great options)

What are everybody's favorite proteins to add to salads? If I'm at a salad bar with good tofu, I like that. I also like chickpeas or hard-boiled eggs. I would like to mix it up though.
#14 Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

What are everybody's favorite proteins to add to salads? If I'm at a salad bar with good tofu, I like that. I also like chickpeas or hard-boiled eggs. I would like to mix it up though.

I put in all sources and traces of protein I can find when I'm at a salad bar.

#15 Old 01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Banned

deleted

#16 Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

I am a huge salad fan!

I like spinach or some other sort of dark green lettuce or leafy thing. Tomatoes are a must. I almost always choose some sort of vinaigrette dressing; sometimes I just use vinegar without oil.

I also like to add carrots, cucumbers, a little bit of cheese, broccoli, artichokes, olives, beets, and some red cabbage. (There's an awesome salad bar at my food coop; that's how I sometimes have such great options)

They have a salad bar in the cafeteria at the hospital where I work, but I don't think anyone there knows what tofu is; I've never seen it used there. There aren't many veg*an choices there. I also get chickpeas and eggs when they're available.

I've been thinking of bringing extra protein with me to add to the salads I get at work. Tofu is one thing, Any other suggestions?

#17 Old 01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

They have a salad bar in the cafeteria at the hospital where I work, but I don't think anyone there knows what tofu is; I've never seen it used there. There aren't many veg*an choices there. I also get chickpeas and eggs when they're available.

I've been thinking of bringing extra protein with me to add to the salads I get at work. Tofu is one thing, Any other suggestions?

Beans
Fried soy meat
Lentils
Quinoa

#18 Old 01-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I love salad, and I'll throw in anything I can think of or have a taste for. Bell peppers, cucumber, beans and peas, those sesame seed sticks, all sorts of lettuces and greens, especially ones that aren't green , carrots, beets, fruit, sprouts, the list goes on. And pretty salads make me happy, so if I'm even in a less-than-happy mood, a pretty salad could do the trick.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#19 Old 01-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes I'll make a taco salad. I take Yves veggie mince, fry it up with some taco seasonings, and put it on lettuce with cucumbers, tomatoes, crumbled tortilla chips and ranch dressing.
#20 Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

I love fresh fruit in salads-berries, pineapple, orange.
Olives, cucumbers, zucchini, red bell pepper, sunflower seeds or slivered almonds, any kind of beans but mostly garbanzos.
I like miso-tahini dressing, or an oil/vinegar. I don't like much dressing at all, just a touch.
I really don't like raw tomatos

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#21 Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

I love mixed green salads that also include fruit, like apples or fresh berries

Same here. I love the sweetness it adds to the salad. I would eat at a salad bar everyday if I could because the choices and variations seem to be endless. My favorites are spinach, beets, corn, olives, sunflower seeds, berries, grapes, chopped apples, craisins or raisins, tomatoes, and chickpeas. I use pineapple salsa most of the time for dressing or raspberry vinaigrette.
#22 Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I like your basic salad with lettuce, tomato and cucumbers, but if you add sunflower seeds, black olives and sprouts, I am extra happy. Add avocado and marinated artichokes, some purple cabbage and arugula and I am in heaven.

I often make an almost zero calorie balsamic dressing, but my favorites are a homemade vegan ranch and Annie's Goddess dressing.
#23 Old 01-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I love salads! The tomatoes have been fantastic at my farmers' market, so tons of those lately. My favorite greens are spinach, romaine, butter lettuce. I hate those bitter arugula types of lettuce. Favorite ingredients are mushrooms, artichoke hearts, sunflower seeds, garbanzo, kidney, pinto, white beans, craisins, raisins, apples, pineapple, orange slices, pecans, walnuts, any nuts really.
There's a good salad bar at work, so there's a big selection there.

I usually have little bags of trail mix with me, and one of those dumped even in a crappy steakhouse salad makes a decent meal.
#24 Old 01-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I love salads and I usually buy and eat 2-3 heads of lettuce a week or a bag or two of romaine hearts.....I use lettuce, tomato, carrots, cucumbers, peppers (whatever color green, red, yellow orange ect I may have) cheese, jalepenos, hot gardinera,green & black olives, pickles, avacado, cabbabe, artichoke, mushrooms....nuts.....honestly whatever I have on hand at the time.

I love fruit salads too but seperate from my green salads.

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#25 Old 02-01-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

Sometimes I'll make a taco salad. I take Yves veggie mince, fry it up with some taco seasonings, and put it on lettuce with cucumbers, tomatoes, crumbled tortilla chips and ranch dressing.

Mmm... taco salad.... How could I forget about those? salsa makes a good dressing in taco salads, I think. I like putting lettuce, tomato, beans, corn, avocado and tortilla chips with mine. Really any standard taco filling ingredients will suffice.
#26 Old 02-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Banned

falafel in my salad....nomnomnom.
or avocado...I used a sesame ginger dressing for a while I got pretty sick of it.
I usually use hot sauce as my dressing, but thats a whole different story...
#27 Old 02-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I forgot to mention that I like corn niblets and green beans and sometimes radishes in my salads....well honestly I like any and all veggies except onions.

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#28 Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 AM

What sorts of non-traditional dressings do folks here like on their salads? I know salsa was mentioned, and I have seen dressing made from diluted hummus. What other creative ideas do folks have?
#29 Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

What sorts of non-traditional dressings do folks here like on their salads? I know salsa was mentioned, and I have seen dressing made from diluted hummus. What other creative ideas do folks have?

Not only do I use salsa or hummus but also homemade cranberry sauce. Might make some tofu ricotta today and will probably use the leftovers as salad dressing also (not along with cranberry sauce!!).
#30 Old 02-03-2012, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I made a mango and coriander (cilantro) dressing the other day with a fresh mango, a handful of coriander leaves, a bit of water, sea salt and cayenne pepper. I used to make a dressing with apple cider vinegar, flax seed oil and salt and black pepper but I haven't made that for a while. Strawberries or raspberries blended with balsamic vinegar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page