Breast milk cheese? Have you seen this? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 PM

One of my vegan friends posted this on my Facebook wall. It's...interesting. I'm not opposed to the idea of breast milk cheese so long as it's been tested, but REPLACING dairy milk with human milk? I don't know....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLBqbO4McUU&feature=player_embedded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

No. Just, no.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#3 Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

It's the ice cream all over again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Beginner

This can't be real, can it?
#5 Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Ew. Why does this exist? There are already alternatives to cow milk. Some people will eat anything I guess.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#6 Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

I would eat it. I don't have a problem with human breast milk given voluntarily.
#7 Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

So not real. Just trying to gross out omnis (and lacto-vegetarians...) I'd bet.

Also, I've heard you can't make cheese out of human milk, not enough protein.

Just in case anybody thinks this is even remotely viable; it's not. And if it were it would lead to exploitation (as in third world countries) of woman lightning fast.

But this is the OP's first post so I wonder if we'll ever see them again...
#8 Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm weaned.
#9 Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

Just in case anybody thinks this is even remotely viable; it's not. And if it were it would lead to exploitation (as in third world countries) of woman lightning fast.

It's a spammer, they signed up at another (non-veg) forum I visit and posted the exact same thing.

I hope it makes people think about cows there...
#10 Old 01-24-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

It's a spammer, they signed up at another (non-veg) forum I visit and posted the exact same thing.

I hope it makes people think about cows there...

I'm a spammer because I post the same thread on a different forum? Fascinating.
#11 Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Gib
Veggie Regular

I would say if you're joining 2 forums to post a youtube, yea, that might be spamming.
#12 Old 01-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post

I would say if you're joining 2 forums to post a youtube, yea, that might be spamming.

Well most "spammers" don't actually engage in discussion like I am now, so maybe your theory isn't as sound as you think.
#13 Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

It seems like you can...

Quote:
Simun found three nursing women willing to have their milk turned into cheese. She screened the milk for diseases, pasteurized it and learned the basics of cheese-making.

Three varieties were available on Sunday — West Side Funk, Midtown Smoke, described as "creamy and just pure heaven," and Wisconsin Chew, the taste of which apparently reflected the vegetable-filled diet of the woman who provided its milk...

Last year, a New York chef served diners at his restaurant cheese made from his wife's milk, and earlier this year an ice cream parlor in London began buying women's breast milk and turning it into frozen treats.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_856866.html

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#14 Old 01-25-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:

It's real. There was a shop in London that sold breast milk ice cream and cheese. Supposedly it was a big hit, but it ended up getting confiscated. They were scared it may have had diseases.

"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." ~Leonardo da Vinci~
"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and...
#15 Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

My friend wants to make her own breast milk ice cream and cheese. She figures it might be good for her son when she starts introducing him to solid foods.
#16 Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe it promotes muscle growth?

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#17 Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

My friend wants to make her own breast milk ice cream and cheese. She figures it might be good for her son when she starts introducing him to solid foods.

That's an interesting idea.

Now I have a question: is breast milk actually healthy for adults to consume?
#18 Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgomorgo View Post

That's an interesting idea.

Now I have a question: is breast milk actually healthy for adults to consume?

After doing some research, apparently scientists are very conflicted about the answer to this question. Some argue that breast milk can be digested by a human without serious repercussions, while others maintain that breast milk is actually quite unhealthy. Not sure what to believe.
#19 Old 01-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Also, in regards to diseases being transferred from the milk to the consumer, the milk can be boiled at a high enough temperature to kill things like HIV.
#20 Old 01-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this comment in another thread a little while ago:

Quote:
Oh, I though this was like the story about a certain author I know, who served home-made waffles to a couple of journalists. She ran out of normal milk, so she substituted it with her own breast milk... But no, not like that at all. (Btw, is breast milk vegan?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandia View Post

It's real. There was a shop in London that sold breast milk ice cream and cheese. Supposedly it was a big hit, but it ended up getting confiscated. They were scared it may have had diseases.

I remember that thing as well. The real question is if human breast milk really will have more diseases than breast milk coming from cows laying in their own poop?

And, I'm a big fan of breast milk,... for babies and not adults.

Eat Your Vegetables
#21 Old 01-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonerism View Post

Ew. Why does this exist? There are already alternatives to cow milk. Some people will eat anything I guess.

Well, human milk is made for humans...
#22 Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

This reminds me a bit of how I think of eggs. If they're obtained in an ethical manner, or in this case consented manner, then it's not really that big of a deal, although I'd never fathom consuming it because it'd gross me the hell out.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

#23 Old 01-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

It's strange how people have such an aversion to consuming the milk of our own species - yet don't seem to mind at all consuming the milk of another species that our bodies were never designed to consume.
#24 Old 01-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Well, human milk is made for humans...

Exactly. As a breastfeeding mother who consistently uses her own breastmilk in baking (anyone eating it knows that it's in there...usually just my family) I don't see the issue with people thinking this is gross. It's just like anything else, if you don't like it then don't eat it. But when it comes to "gross" this isn't. If it weren't for breastmilk our species wouldn't exist. It's proven to be extremely great for our young despite the mass usage of formula in this country (the US). I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate and spend lots of free time fighting for the rights of breastfeeding mothers. Because of that I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with drinking the milk *of your own species* as long as you know it's in what you're eating and the person is using it willingly. Human using human breastmilk is, in my opinion, anything but gross...it's the only milk there is that is what we are biologically made to ingest.
#25 Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that the consumption of any kind of milk by an adult of a species is gross, but I only apply this to myself. I really couldn't care less what other people do.

#26 Old 01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Beginner

EDIT: meant to quote an above reply that talked about some scientists saying it's unhealthy for adults.

It's healthy...period. And any scientist who says it's unhealthy is...to put it bluntly...full of crap. Does it help us with immunity the way it does our children? As of now there is no conclusive evidence either way, but one thing it isn't is unhealthy for us. For instance, people who have aversions to dairy and think they are lactose intolerant many times CAN safely consume human breastmilk despite it being higher in lactose than cow's milk. Why? Because our bodies are inherently designed to drink the milk of our own species.

Another fun fact: breastmilk isn't just good for drinking! A nice squirt of our own milk can help with pink eye (know this firsthand), nasal congestion, and can even help clear up cuts and diaper rash!
#27 Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinahudler View Post

Exactly. As a breastfeeding mother who consistently uses her own breastmilk in baking (anyone eating it knows that it's in there...usually just my family) I don't see the issue with people thinking this is gross. It's just like anything else, if you don't like it then don't eat it. But when it comes to "gross" this isn't. If it weren't for breastmilk our species wouldn't exist. It's proven to be extremely great for our young despite the mass usage of formula in this country (the US). I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate and spend lots of free time fighting for the rights of breastfeeding mothers. Because of that I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with drinking the milk *of your own species* as long as you know it's in what you're eating and the person is using it willingly. Human using human breastmilk is, in my opinion, anything but gross...it's the only milk there is that is what we are biologically made to ingest.

Hmm...I guess I hadn't really thought of it that way.
#28 Old 01-29-2012, 11:36 PM

Bump for discussion.
#29 Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM

B-b-b-b-breast bump.
#30 Old 01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Dude, sometimes threads go for days without reply... be patient.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page