Quick and delicious meals - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

OK, let me lay the ground work here. I can't cook for sh!t. I lack that gene. My idea of a good meal was when I got an MRE that wasn't freeze dried pork.

I have read many of your post on recipes and have come to a conclusion, it's magic. It's friggin voodoo. You get a big cauldron, throw in some vegan eye of newt and hair of dragon and there it is, dinner. I have tried to cook. I can grill and I can stir fry. But, throw in an oven and I'm lost. My past attempts at cooking when it requires more than two ingredients is usually bad.

This is some sad stuff. My idea of a good quick, warm, vegetarian meal is:
Minute Rice and mushroom soup all mixed together. That's right. The best I got could choke a vulture. Heck, I though C rations was good eatin (Yes, I'm dating myself).

So, you extremely cool and talented cooks have this rare opportunity to throw me a bone. What easy meal ideas can you hook me up with? It's gotta be real world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Ira
Banned

the easiest thing that comes to mind is to cook spagetti. at the same time on a frying pan fry some frozen veggies (my favorites are cauliflower, broccoli and brusselsprouts), then add some tomato sauce to heat it up (medium/low heat) , also spices, hot sauces, (vegan) cheese etc. whatever you like. then put spagetti into the pan, mixt it up let it there for a minute or two and eat it

is that too easy? lol, thats what i usually do when i am not in the mood to cook
#3 Old 10-04-2011, 04:59 AM

I know only one cake which is easy to bake and it has very easy recipe. Put one banana, one and half cup flour, two eggs and two table spoons of baking soda and blend it. Then put in a pan and bake for 30 mins in gas oven.

Chino Hills Boot Camp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

get one of those big mushrooms and cut the stem off. marinade it in some balsamic dressing, minced garlic, onion powder and some salt. than fry in a pan or you can grill to i think for a couple minutes than slap on a bun and eat mmm. when my boyfriend made that for me it was the first time i ever even ate a mushroom and it was delicious
#5 Old 10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Beginner

My favorite is sautee onions and garlic in oil, add black beans cumin chili powder tomatoes green peppers chili peppers and cilantro. add store bought salsa and lettuce and chips or roll up in tortillas.

Tortillas, spread cream cheese/sugar on it another tortillas. Grape jelly. Heat up on skilled. Or roll up. Also can do cinnamon and sugar

Hummus on bagels or naan bread.

Pb and j

Pizza?

I used to avoid soy but ill consume a little if its organic and fermented lol
#6 Old 10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post

I know only one cake which is easy to bake and it has very easy recipe. Put one banana, one and half cup flour, two eggs and two table spoons of baking soda and blend it. Then put in a pan and bake for 30 mins in gas oven.

Sounds good. I'd use two tbsp flaxseed and two tbsp hot water for the eggs tho

#7 Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Pasta is so easy. So incredibly easy. You boil it in a pot for ten minutes or so, you can buy pre-made sauce at the store, voila. You can also add beans and veggies to make it a little more balanced and healthful.

Sandwiches, including veggieburgers. Besides frozen veggieburgers, my favorite sandwiches are cheese/hummus and Peanut Butter and Jelly. PB&J is still totally okay for adults to eat.

Nachos and tacos. All you need is canned beans, salsa, cheese (if you eat dairy), maybe some sour cream, hot sauce, and tortillas or tortilla chips.
#8 Old 10-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbrother View Post

OK, let me lay the ground work here. I can't cook for sh!t. I lack that gene. My idea of a good meal was when I got an MRE that wasn't freeze dried pork.

I have read many of your post on recipes and have come to a conclusion, it's magic. It's friggin voodoo. You get a big cauldron, throw in some vegan eye of newt and hair of dragon* and there it is, dinner. I have tried to cook. I can grill and I can stir fry. But, throw in an oven and I'm lost. My past attempts at cooking when it requires more than two ingredients is usually bad.

Minute Rice and mushroom soup all mixed together. That's right. The best I got could choke a vulture. Heck, I though C rations was good eatin (Yes, I'm dating myself).

So, you extremely cool and talented cooks have this rare opportunity to throw me a bone. What easy meal ideas can you hook me up with? It's gotta be real world.

Pasta, rice, quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah), are all good starts. Get a sharp knife and chop up onions, garlic, carrots, celery, zucchini, mushrooms and add them to your pasta, rice, or quinoa. Or soup. Get a pot, 2 cups water, mushroom broth, or veggie broth (or a combo of all 3) and add all three of these things. Let it boil then add the veggies.Let it cook for a few hours (or find a crock pot--those things are great) and make soup in that. Sandwiches--two slices of bread and hummus, or some other spread, and veggies. Grilled cheese sandwiches are good (Not sure if you are a vegetarian or vegan--not to sure about easily melting vegan cheeses.)

*Just a head's up--Hair of dragon isn't veg*an, it's Stupidvore. (The dragon eats the stupid that gets that close).

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Man, you people are so friggin cool. Thanks..
#10 Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

For the last year or so I had my husband and I get into skillet meals, when I do pasta I would fill a big frying pan or skillet that is with water, then boil the water , when the water is boiled I put the pasta in for several mins, In mean while, I grab choice of spahgetti sauce or pasta sauce, might get mock meat ground crumbles, some veggies and so on. Then when the pasta is ready for the sauce I add the sauce when the pasta is half way done, then other things I want with of it and then simmer these for about 15-20 desire taste.
#11 Old 10-05-2011, 03:21 PM

Buy yourself a rice cooker, it's fool proof.

"You know, at one time, I used to break into pet shops to liberate the canaries. But I decided that was an idea way before its time. Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage."
#12 Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Rice cookers are definitely worth it. We splurged and picked up a Neuro Fuzzy Rice cooker and now we eat rice almost every day. We put a large batch on in the early afternoon and use it well into the evening. The fuzzy makes it perfect, never burns it, and keeps it nice and hot for later.

Non-rice related quick meals:
I love doing grilled mushroom sandwiches. I think someone else already mentioned them, but I'll second it because they're yummy. Besides the mushrooms, I stuff mine with collard greens and banana peppers. Delicious.

Biscuits are also great. I make a bunch of them and either freeze or refrigerate them. When I get hungry I just pull one out, cut it open and add some fake meat or veggies and then warm it up.

"[-]But caging them, killing them, eating them was unthinkable. We were creatures of the same world."
-Animorphs, #18

#13 Old 10-05-2011, 03:55 PM

And I know this might sound silly: but a slow cooker. You can get some great flavor with minimal effort out of them. It'd satisfy a quick meal with just a bit of planning. http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Slow-Coo.../dp/1592334644

"You know, at one time, I used to break into pet shops to liberate the canaries. But I decided that was an idea way before its time. Zoos are full, prisons are overflowing... oh my, how the world still dearly loves a cage."
#14 Old 10-08-2011, 02:24 AM
Beginner

I just made delicious chili. New years chilli is the name I'd the
Recipe in vegweb.com

#15 Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel for you man. I have no idea how to cook either. The best thing to do is experiment and dont feel bad when it doesnt work out. Also getting a recipe book helps.

If you dont already know how learn to make porridge. Its eay and healthy made from scratch. Its just oats and water or milk/milk substitue cooked on a stove until the liquad combines with the oats. You can add stuff like honey, sugar, dates, nuts, fruit, dried fruit what ever you like until you have the flavour the way you want it. Cinimon is also good with porridge.

Rice cookers are worth getting. I found that adding some vegetable stock to rice while its cooking makes it taste 150% better.

learning to make some different types of soup is also a good idea for the non cook :-)
#16 Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Is porridge the same thing as Oatmeal? It sounds like it.. If so, I love oatmeal. I eat it every morning, either from McDonalds or I make my own.
#17 Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=vegan+cooking

^how i learned to make california sushi rolls and a few other things...
#18 Old 10-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Is porridge the same thing as Oatmeal? It sounds like it.. If so, I love oatmeal. I eat it every morning, either from McDonalds or I make my own.

Yeah its the same thing.
#19 Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 PM
Beginner

Omg porridge is oatmeal? I was akways wondering what mama bear was cooking.

#20 Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have read many of your post on recipes and have come to a conclusion, it's magic. It's friggin voodoo. You get a big cauldron, throw in some vegan eye of newt and hair of dragon and there it is, dinner. I have tried to cook. I can grill and I can stir fry. But, throw in an oven and I'm lost. My past attempts at cooking when it requires more than two ingredients is usually bad.

If you haven't yet, get yourself the proper tools to cook, more than just pots and pans. That and a well stocked pantry including a wide variety of herbs/spices.

Some kitchen essentials (imo):

A good knife set.
A quality pot and pan set (I have had the same stainless set for about 20 years now)
An immersion blender (I recently got one and do not know how I lived w/o it)
A food processor
A nice set of mixing bowls
A pressure cooker/pressure cooker set (I went all out on a nice set 3-4 years ago) imo indispensable for cooking beans/whole grains and brown rice. I do not own a rice cooker as I can cook perfect rice with my pressure cooker and very quickly.

Look up recipes that you'd like to try ahead of time and make a list of ingredients... buy them.

Here's a quick and delicious split pea soup I make all the time (now that I have an immersion blender)

1 large onion
1 tbsp chopped galic
1 1/2 cup (heaping) dried spit peas
1 tbsp hot curry powder
5 cups of veggie broth or 5 cups of water with veggie bullion

Saute the chopped onions (in about 1/4 cup water) for 2-3 min and then add garlic and continue sauteing for another 2-3 min.
Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil then reduce and simmer for 45-50 min until peas are softening.
Remove from burner and have at it with the immersion blender until smooth.

Edit to add:

Learning to cook won't happen overnight, lots of trial and error as you figure out what you like and how to adjust recipes to your liking (or what you have on hand), but it's not rocket science either.

Personally I enjoy the heck out of it, always have, and am the primary cook in our house, partly because I'm a control freak about what I eat and party because I will only eat my wife's cooking if I have no other choice, lol. It's a good family time and I taught all 3 of our kids to cook, now with them gone it's time spent visiting with my better half about our day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page