VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   General Food Discussions (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/)
-   -   Daiya cheese: I tried to like it :( (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/21-general-food-discussions/129433-daiya-cheese-i-tried-like.html)

Kelii36 09-23-2011 07:52 PM

I feel horrible. I don't like the cheddar daiya cheese I got yesterday. I was so excited to try it because of the rave reviews. It's just too greasy and soft, I think. It even makes my stomach upset. I've tried it cold, on my burritos, and I gave it one last shot with a grilled cheese sandwich. That wasn't too bad, but only because the bread blocked some of the flavor. It was $5.69 too! I guess I just need to force myself through the bag. I would hate to waste it, or the money. Is the mozzarella flavor any better?
BTW I love all the other vegan stuff I've tried which includes tofutti ice cream and sour cream, and the cream cheese is good too. I also switched to soy yogurt. I found it at my walmart, how cool is that? and my goal is to try vegan mayo next week. Is Nanonaise(sp??) good? I can get that one at my local store without travelling to whole foods.

weirdo vegan chick 09-23-2011 08:00 PM

i don't like daiya either :/. no the mozzarella isn't any better . i just go without, you won't even miss cheese after a while. whenever i have a cheese craving i just make some of this deliciousness http://www.theppk.com/2011/02/mac-shews/ and it seems to squash it. as for vegan mayo. i love veganaise but have not tried any other brands.

KrisMTL 09-23-2011 09:20 PM

I had tried it a while ago, tastes processed.

Freesia 09-23-2011 09:39 PM

We cant get it here! I would love to try it. I havent made anything with nooch yet either.

Phoenix Days 09-23-2011 09:45 PM

I don't really like it either, but there's no other options for vegan cheese where I live.

Puppet Master 09-23-2011 10:01 PM

The first and only kind I tried was the mozzarella and I did not like it. I didn't even finish the bag, it ended up getting tossed.

Vancityveggie 09-23-2011 10:42 PM

I'm not in love with daiya but like grilled tofurky and "cheese" sandwiches. The pepperjack flavour is better than the other 2.

fadeaway1289 09-24-2011 03:29 AM

Don't feel bad for not being in love with the stuff. As you can see there's quite a few people that aren't fans. The stuff can be super overwhelming. The first time I tried it I found it disgusting. The texture was a huge turn off for me. It's really something that needs to be used very sparingly but even then it can be gross. Stomach issues seem to be really common with Daiya also. It sucks spending money on something and then being disappointed but if it's giving you stomach problems I don't think you should even attempt to try it again. Is there anyone you know that does like it and would want it?

karenlovessnow 09-24-2011 04:17 AM

I was disappointed when I first tried it, but then I got accustomed to it. My daughter keeps telling me I like all of the 'substitutes' because my tastes have changed over the last six years and the stuff I like really isn't all that tasty, lol.
I don't really see much of a flavor difference between the mozzerella and cheddar varieties. My supermarket just started carrying Daiya and they have the pepperjack. I never liked real pepperjack cheese but I think I might give this a try anyway.
I think I was so desperate for a cheese substitute and Daiya ended up being my favorite over all of the other 'cheeses'.
I never tried Nayonaise...Vegenaise was the first one I tried and I loved it, so I never bothered to try anything else.

disney.jessica 09-24-2011 09:33 AM

I can't get any vegan cheeses at the few stores my family goes to, and since there's no whole foods for miles I definitely can't get daiya. I'd love to try it, but now this scares me that people don't like it. I used to be a huge cheese addict, I really want to find a good substitute eventually.

fadeaway1289 09-24-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I can't get any vegan cheeses at the few stores my family goes to, and since there's no whole foods for miles I definitely can't get daiya. I'd love to try it, but now this scares me that people don't like it. I used to be a huge cheese addict, I really want to find a good substitute eventually.

If you ever get a chance to try it at a restaurant or sample it somewhere then do that first before buying it.

disney.jessica 09-24-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

I feel horrible. I don't like the cheddar daiya cheese I got yesterday. I was so excited to try it because of the rave reviews. It's just too greasy and soft, I think. It even makes my stomach upset. I've tried it cold, on my burritos, and I gave it one last shot with a grilled cheese sandwich. That wasn't too bad, but only because the bread blocked some of the flavor. It was $5.69 too! I guess I just need to force myself through the bag. I would hate to waste it, or the money. Is the mozzarella flavor any better?
BTW I love all the other vegan stuff I've tried which includes tofutti ice cream and sour cream, and the cream cheese is good too. I also switched to soy yogurt. I found it at my walmart, how cool is that? and my goal is to try vegan mayo next week. Is Nanonaise(sp??) good? I can get that one at my local store without travelling to whole foods.

If you like toffutti products, you should try tofutti cheese over daiya. I had some today and I love it. I was a cheese addict when I ate dairy, but the tofutti slices are great, they're very cheesy and great with veganase in a sandwich.

Kelii36 09-24-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

If you like toffutti products, you should try tofutti cheese over daiya. I had some today and I love it. I was a cheese addict when I ate dairy, but the tofutti slices are great, they're very cheesy and great with veganase in a sandwich.

What flavors do they make? Is there one that's better than the others?

disney.jessica 09-24-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii36 View Post

What flavors do they make? Is there one that's better than the others?

I've only seen the American slices, I love those. Their website says they also have mozzarella. I haven't tried them in grilled cheese yet but I've heard they do melt well for them

Kelii36 09-24-2011 07:06 PM

Update: I've discovered that if I hide the daiya inside the burrito, hidden amongst the beans, I can actually eat it, and it tastes OK. Just OK. At least I don't have to waste the bag

loolie 09-24-2011 08:10 PM

I didn't care for it much at first but now I actually quite like it. I like to melt it over tortilla chips the best to make nachos! I usually add some green onions, salsa, etc. as well.

Property Is Robbery 09-24-2011 09:08 PM

I've only had it in prepared food from vegan restaurants and its always been good in there. As a flavor enhancer though, never by itself.

Try Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella. It's the best vegan cheese ever IMO

Wolfie 09-24-2011 10:58 PM

I tried to like it too. I had big dreams of having pizza with "cheese" again. Oh well. I do hate trying things that expensive though and not liking them at all. It was too salty to push off on my dogs.

Wolfie 09-24-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Is Robbery View Post

I've only had it in prepared food from vegan restaurants and its always been good in there. As a flavor enhancer though, never by itself.

One of the stores here finally, after decades, has Follow Your Heart. I passed it up because I've tried so many failures, but maybe I will give it a try now.

danakscully64 09-24-2011 11:03 PM

I have had the Mozzarella a few times in Calzone (homemade) and it wasn't bad. I'm not a vegan, real cheese is my downfalls, and I could see myself using this in the right recipes. I couldn't eat a ton of it, I used it sparingly and it really gave a subtle cheese taste.

(Right before adding the Daiya)

If I was fully committed to veganism, I would use this product occasionally. It's easier to go cheese free, honestly. Real cheese... so hard to duplicate.

karenlovessnow 09-25-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loolie View Post

I didn't care for it much at first but now I actually quite like it. I like to melt it over tortilla chips the best to make nachos! I usually add some green onions, salsa, etc. as well.

Totally excellent for nachos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Property Is Robbery View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I have had the Mozzarella a few times in Calzone (homemade) and it wasn't bad. I'm not a vegan, real cheese is my downfalls, and I could see myself using this in the right recipes. I couldn't eat a ton of it, I used it sparingly and it really gave a subtle cheese taste.

If I was fully committed to veganism, I would use this product occasionally. It's easier to go cheese free, honestly. Real cheese... so hard to duplicate.

I agree, it's best not to over-do it with the daiya. It makes a nice addition. Even with pizza, I always add onions, olives, mushrooms, what-have-you. Yum!

fadeaway1289 09-25-2011 04:34 AM

Yep using it sparingly...very sparingly is the key. Too much Daiya is beyond disgusting. It's like squeezing a bottle of Elmer's glue in your mouth and trying to chew and swallow it as it slowly starts to solidify.

karenlovessnow 09-25-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Yep using it sparingly...very sparingly is the key. Too much Daiya is beyond disgusting. It's like squeezing a bottle of Elmer's glue in your mouth and trying to chew and swallow it as it slowly starts to solidify.

and you would know this how?

Kelii36 09-25-2011 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Elmers glue with a funky, plastic after taste, lol.

And that calozone is making me hungry, I want one now.

delicioso 09-25-2011 08:26 AM

I love Daiya, but it's not exactly a health food, so I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Bluebird11 07-26-2015 07:21 PM

i hate Daiya too and for some reason it is getting a lot of traction out in the cheese substitute world. The best non-dairy cheese I have tried is Toffuti. I can't find it now though and I'm really bummed. Another outstanding option is Punk Rawk Labs. It's made from cashew cheese and it's excellent. I would not know it was not made from milk. It has the texture of a Boursin and it has a cracked pepper "crust." Tree Line is also a good brand of cashew cheeses.

If anyone knows where I can get Toffuti slices, please let me know!

imagineaa 07-26-2015 08:10 PM

I liked Swiss slices on a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. I liked the cheddar shreds in burritos but not too great on its own.

I find one of the issues is I used to use cheese as a protein, so I would use an amount to match the protein I wanted. Daiya doesn't really have much protein, so that means the dish itself would need to change if I want the same amount of protein.

All of this means it's not a 1:1 substitute, but it's a start.

meg moo 07-26-2015 11:42 PM

I used to be turned off by Daiya because I worked at whole foods years ago and made pizzas with it, and I never liked the way it smelled or the way the texture looked. I realized it tastes very good on pizza when used more like a topping rather than piled on high, like a dairy-cheese pizza.

LedBoots 07-27-2015 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meg moo (Post 3728561)
I used to be turned off by Daiya because I worked at whole foods years ago and made pizzas with it, and I never liked the way it smelled or the way the texture looked. I realized it tastes very good on pizza when used more like a topping rather than piled on high, like a dairy-cheese pizza.

Yes, just a small bit of daiya is needed compared with cow cheese.

danakscully64 07-27-2015 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagineaa (Post 3728369)
I liked Swiss slices on a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. I liked the cheddar shreds in burritos but not too great on its own.

I find one of the issues is I used to use cheese as a protein, so I would use an amount to match the protein I wanted. Daiya doesn't really have much protein, so that means the dish itself would need to change if I want the same amount of protein.

All of this means it's not a 1:1 substitute, but it's a start.

OT: You've always had that avatar, right? Because I know I've seen it but didn't understand where it came from until about 6 months ago :p

On topic: Chao cheese is better than everything else.