The Peanut Butter Thread! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Veggie Regular

So, this is for people who are addicted to peanut butter (like me).
Discuss favourite brands, what you use it for, recipes, anything else related to peanut butter.

So, I use peanut butter for many things, such as banana whip topping, toast, to eat with chocolate, and sometimes I just get a spoon and eat it right out of the container

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 AM
Veggie Regular

My favorites are the plain kinds, just peanuts and salt. Usually I get trader joe's, sometimes kroger. Always crunchy and SALTED. None of that weird unsalted crap, or the boring smooth. I eat it on toast, sometimes with some earth balance too. Also in many other things. My favorite dessert is peanut butter balls (buckeyes to some).

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#3 Old 09-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I forgot, my mom sometimes makes these cookies with peanut butter, chow mein noodles, and butterscotch chips, called peanut butter haystacks, so good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Whole Earth crunchy (unsalted) PB on Nairn's Oat Cakes. My favourite midmorning snack when at work.

Are you sure this is art, not vandalism?
#5 Old 09-10-2011, 04:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh My Gobstopper, another thread about peanut butter??!! J/K!

I love it, creamy or crunchy, depending on my mood. I totally eat the creamy out of the jar, especially at work when I need a little pick-me-up. Sadly, I need it to be salted, at the very least. And I prefer the sweetened kind, although I can do without it if I have the salt.
I like plain old peanut butter and jelly sammiches. Sometimes I'll add a banana. Can't say I do too much else with it, though, unless I'm making a chocolate protein shake. Banana and PB added to that is awesome.
And how about the other butters? Unless this is strictly for PB. (I love almond and cashew butter, too!)
#6 Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

My favorites are the plain kinds, just peanuts and salt. Usually I get trader joe's, sometimes kroger. Always crunchy and SALTED. None of that weird unsalted crap, or the boring smooth. I eat it on toast, sometimes with some earth balance too. Also in many other things. My favorite dessert is peanut butter balls (buckeyes to some).

We used to make pb balls around the holidays...so good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

Oh, I forgot, my mom sometimes makes these cookies with peanut butter, chow mein noodles, and butterscotch chips, called peanut butter haystacks, so good

These sound really good!
#7 Old 09-10-2011, 06:11 AM

I am a fan of all nut butters. I usually go unsalted with my PB. If I am making sandwiches I usually prefer smooth, but for everything else, like my morning hot cereal, it's crunchy all the way. I made an African peanut butter soup a few years ago that was really yummy. I need to do that again...
#8 Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstew View Post

Whole Earth crunchy (unsalted) PB

I just ordered some of that in my shopping.

I like having PB on crackers or on toast. Having it in a wholemeal sandwich with sliced banana is good too. I only eat it about once a week though.
#9 Old 09-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

the store we shop at (Winco) has a machine you can get fresh ground peanut butter out of, and its cheaper than the usual brands. this is the best peanut butter i've ever had.

this is one of my favorite sweet treats with peanut butter: http://hibbardkitchen.blogspot.com/2...-buckeyes.html
#10 Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

this is one of my favorite sweet treats with peanut butter: http://hibbardkitchen.blogspot.com/2...-buckeyes.html

Very similar to my peanut butter ball recipe. I use chunky pb instead of smooth and add rice krispies!
#11 Old 09-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

We used to make pb balls around the holidays...so good!!

That's when we make them too! I would more often but that probably wouldn't be good for my health. Also, I think part of why they're special is that they only come around once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

I made an African peanut butter soup a few years ago that was really yummy. I need to do that again...

Yes, I've made something similar. So great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

the store we shop at (Winco) has a machine you can get fresh ground peanut butter out of, and its cheaper than the usual brands. this is the best peanut butter i've ever had.

That looks like my recipe too.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#12 Old 09-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

I like Krema because the only ingrediant is peanuts.
The oil is on top, but it's spreadable without it, so I save the oil for stir frys.
Cheap at my discount store.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#13 Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I just like it on toast or on it's own. CRUNCHY!

I always overdo it with peanut butter, and then can't eat it again for a few months because it makes me feel sick.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#14 Old 09-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
cookies with peanut butter, chow mein noodles, and butterscotch chips, called peanut butter haystacks

I grew up on those except with chocolate chips. Every Christmas my Grandma would make big tins of cookies, and these were my favorites. Except we didn't call them haystacks. I only recently learned that's what most people call them. In my family the were Ho Chi Minh cookies. I don't know why.

Throw PB on a bagel with alfalfa sprouts and I'm in heaven. I'm also pretty fond of any African-like dish that uses PB. Like groundnut soup.

Any combination of PB+chile or chocolate is good. Even over green beans. Not usually a green bean fan.

I pick up any brand that has just the 3 basic ingredients (peanuts,salt,oil).

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#15 Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I want to make peanut butter cupcakes, I should see if I have all the ingredients for them.

#16 Old 09-10-2011, 06:12 PM
Impeach the gangster

The Peanut Butter Thread!

Shouldn't this be called, The Peanut Butter Spread?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#17 Old 09-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was younger I would melt some pb in a cup in the microwave then pour it over a bowl of cold ice cream
#18 Old 09-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I love pb on banana. Always smooth. I've only recently become a pb fan though, I never used to like it except as pb cookies.
#19 Old 09-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Beginner

haha this sounds so simple but I love as just a peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! It also has to do with the nostalgia (I associate it with childhood memories). Unfortunately, whenever I mention PB&J sandwiches, a friend of mine keeps mentioning about how her grandma told her that only poor people eat PB&J sandwiches -_-
#20 Old 09-11-2011, 03:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

When I was younger I would melt some pb in a cup in the microwave then pour it over a bowl of cold ice cream

Ooooo...add some melted chocolate to that and I'm there! lol
#21 Old 09-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post

The Peanut Butter Thread!

Shouldn't this be called, The Peanut Butter Spread?

#22 Old 09-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Unintentionally Kittened

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I like Krema because the only ingrediant is peanuts.

This is what i eat but it's sold as Crazy Richard's in my part of the country. I like it so much more than any other pb i've tried; i like how the subtle natural sweetness of the peanuts isn't drowned out buy other ingredients and the texture is so much smoother than other natural pbs.

I usually eat pb with apples, toast, bread, beagles, or a spoon. My favorite sandwich with it is pb and cinnamon apple (or other fresh fruit) b/c fruit spreads are usually too sweet for me.
When i have to make a dessert this is my go-to recipe b/c there's no baking so me and my psycho oven can't mess it up
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=67...69399#msg69399

A plastic hutch is no substitute for a mother. Replace dairy, not mothers.
#23 Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Banned

I like a nice peanuts-only peanut butter. Crunchy or smooth, depending on my mood. I usually alternate between the two. I don't eat it very often, though.
#24 Old 09-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

We usually only have smooth peanut butter in my house.
I love peanut butter balls!

I totally overdid it on PB&Js last summer when I packed it for lunch every day for 3 weeks for jury duty. Since then I can't eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, but I can still eat peanut butter
I'm trying to increase my caloric intake, so I'll occasionally eat a spoonful or two of peanut butter
#25 Old 09-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post

This is what i eat but it's sold as Crazy Richard's in my part of the country. I like it so much more than any other pb i've tried; i like how the subtle natural sweetness of the peanuts isn't drowned out buy other ingredients and the texture is so much smoother than other natural pbs.

I usually eat pb with apples, toast, bread, beagles, or a spoon. My favorite sandwich with it is pb and cinnamon apple (or other fresh fruit) b/c fruit spreads are usually too sweet for me.
When i have to make a dessert this is my go-to recipe b/c there's no baking so me and my psycho oven can't mess it up
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=67...69399#msg69399

It's also the same as Josephs Sugar Free! J
Just wondering-do you mix in the oil? This is the only brand of natural PB that I don't feel needs it. I like having some peanut oil as a bonus!

Thank you for that recipe-sounds sooo good!

#26 Old 09-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

I love peanut butter. My mom used to make these crunchy balls of peanut butter, I don't know what they were called but they were peanut butter, fried noodles, and some sort of toffee or something. They were really good
#27 Old 09-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got home from the river, peanut butter time!

#28 Old 09-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by faded_amaranth View Post

NOOOOO! Don't eat the poor beagles!!!!!!!
#29 Old 09-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

NOOOOO! Don't eat the poor beagles!!!!!!!

I replied and didn't see that!
Maybe she means she shares it with a beagle! My son used to do that with our dog.

#30 Old 09-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Oh also I love to melt peanut butter in the microwave and then dip Oreo's in it Frozen oreos are good for this, but room temperature ones are, too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page