Vegan overripe banana recipes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi guys!
So I have a bunch of overripe cooking-ready bananas to use up tonight-ish and don't know what to do with them. Long day! Any inspiration from you wise folk is encouraged. Only prerequisites are that it doesn't include dairy and is ideally low g.i. ( friend coming for breakfast tomorrow has blood sugar issues and it would be cool if I could feed her some of whatever I bake tonight )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I was going to suggest this: https://www.veggieboards.com/recipes/...ipe&recipe=375 until I read the part about low g.i...lol Best banana 'anything' I have ever made!! And had multiple omnis confirm it.

At any rate, look in our recipe section...there are some good banana recipes in there...you can probably adjust the amount of sugar, too.
#3 Old 09-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

well, I would have said to peel them, break them up, then put them in the freezer to make soft serve ice "cream" if you had a food processor.....just needed some liquid sweetener, like agave is low GI, some cocoa powder about a Tbsp each and a glob of PB if you want. Blend it all up in the food processor till smooth.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

well, I would have said to peel them, break them up, then put them in the freezer to make soft serve ice "cream" if you had a food processor.....just needed some liquid sweetener, like agave is low GI, some cocoa powder about a Tbsp each and a glob of PB if you want. Blend it all up in the food processor till smooth.

Think I'll go get me some bananas!!
#5 Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I always make bannana bread with mine (infact... I'm going to do it this afternoon!) the recipe is dairy free, but I don't know what low GI is, but since you mention sugar, it probally isn't.

My recipe is: 200g flour, 2 tbsp gram flour, 2 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1tsp salt, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 4tbsp oats, 75g dairy free margerine, 115g sugar. 3/3 tsp lemon zest, 3 ripe bananas. Sift first 6 ingrediants into a bowl, combine margerine and sugar seperatly then add in bananana, combine and mix quickly. Bake for 50-60min at 180c.

I also ice mine, you don't need to, I'm just a sugar fiend.
#6 Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Banned

You could make ice cream like Jess said, and I've also made banana toast with them and it's pretty good. Toast some bread lightly so it won't get soggy, mash some bananas and sprinkle some cinnamon (and sugar if they aren't sweet enough) and spread on the toast, then you can sprinkle more cinnamon if you want. Then put the banana toast in a toaster oven (regular oven will work too) until the toast crisps a bit more and the bananas turn warm and a bit brown. Texas toast is best for this, but if you use plain thin toast just spread a thinner layer of bananas. With normal read it should make about four or more slices depending on the thickness of your bread, and if you use Texas toast it'll be two, though if you don't want too much banana you could probably get four out of one mashed banana.
#7 Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow! Oh gosh, I'm hungry now! Thanks folks! I decided not to worry about the GI, shall feed friend something else :P
And... I didn't actually REALISE THERE WAS A RECIPE SECTION. How have I just skipped over that for so long?!!
There goes my next few hours at work...

Thankyou thankyou! And thankyou Bananas, for existing and being as heavenly as you are...
#8 Old 09-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I always make bannana bread with mine (infact... I'm going to do it this afternoon!) the recipe is dairy free, but I don't know what low GI is, but since you mention sugar, it probally isn't.

My recipe is: 200g flour, 2 tbsp gram flour, 2 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1tsp salt, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 4tbsp oats, 75g dairy free margerine, 115g sugar. 3/3 tsp lemon zest, 3 ripe bananas. Sift first 56 ingrediants into a bowl, combine margerine and sugar seperatly then add in bananana, combine and mix quickly. Bake for 50-60min at 180c.

I also ice mine, you don't need to, I'm just a sugar fiend.

That's a lot of ingredients!

Anyway, I was also going to say banana bread. I do love me some banana bread. I can say of my talents that I can play Tetris and make banana bread.
#9 Old 09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

That's a lot of ingredients!

Anyway, I was also going to say banana bread. I do love me some banana bread. I can say of my talents that I can play Tetris and make banana bread.

Oops! I meant six, I wrote five and changed it. Banana bread is awesome, I also make mine with all wholemeal flour sometimes, which is a little denser but doesn't affect it as much as it would with a cupcake or something.

I'll also add, incase anyone does use that recipe, I think it actually needs 45min max (or maybe 50 on 10c lower). My oven does cook quick though.
#10 Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Funny that you posted this, I have banana bread (in cupcake form) in the oven right now. It's not low GI, but you can modify it. This is the recipe I used, but I modified it:

1/2 cup margarine, softened
1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce
1 cup sugar (1/4 c extra if your bananas aren't black enough)
3 bananas, blackened
2 egg equivalent Ener-G
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tsp vinegar (mix and let sit for 5 minutes before adding)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chip (or chopped regular chips)

1. Cream margarine and sugar (by hand or mixer).

2. Mash bananas and add by hand to creamed mixture along with applesauce.

3. By hand add Ener-G, vanilla, baking soda, flour and salt. Mix.

4. Gently stir in milk mixture and chocolate chips.

2 options:

5. Pour into a greased loaf pan.

6. Bake at 350°F for 1 1/4 hour or until it tests done with a toothpick.

OR:

5. Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pan with papers. Fill 3/4 of the way and bake until done, about 25-35 minutes.

(From author of recipe) **Even though the recipe says it makes 1 loaf, I usually use 2 loaf pans or 3 mini loaf pans because it seems to yield a moister bread.

I had to guess on the cook time of the cupcake sized bread. In my oven, 30 minutes worked well with my first batch.
#11 Old 09-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

banana bread, freeze for smoothies,

peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#12 Old 09-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Freeze them for a couple hours, then put in the blender with cocoa powder, a spoonful of sugar, and a few strawberries.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#13 Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I normally just make a banana cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page