Odd Concepts: Unlikely Food Combinations - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Was prepping a pizza the other day and eating spoonful of peanut butter at the same time. Wasn't paying attention and almost dropped the PB onto the dough, and that got me thinking, hmm, wonder if I could pull off a pizza with PB as an ingredient. Haven't given the idea much thought since, but I was thinking maybe an Asian-style pizza with some kind of peanut sauce. Will see if I can come up with something even crazier than that, though. But there, that's my odd combo, pizza and peanut butter.

Post about your weird food combination ideas here. It can be cuisines mixed with other cuisines, or cuisines mixed with unlikely ingredients, or the unlikely pairing of ingredients... whatever. It can be just the idea, or it can be full recipes you've developed. And feel free to create something with other people's weird ideas, and to post pictures of the results!

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Banned

I freeze Oreos and put chocolate syrup on them, but I don't think that's really unlikely, just uncommon, I guess, compared to pizza and peanut butter
#3 Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

There's a French cuisine called 'fries' that goes well with this tomato-y sauce called ketchup. It's a pretty good combination.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

There's a French cuisine called 'fries' that goes well with this tomato-y sauce called ketchup. It's a pretty good combination.

Lol! When I was an omni, I used to love fries and mayonnaise, and everyone thought I was crazy. I also liked dipping the fries in mayonnaise with a little bit of mustard mixed in, but I haven't gotten veganaise yet to continue doing this, so I stick with ketchup and mustard mixed together, and sometimes, when I feel too lazy to find the mustard or I'm out somewhere and don't want to ask for mustard, I just use ketchup.
#5 Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Banned

deleted

#6 Old 08-28-2011, 03:06 AM

I think a peanut butter and onion sandwich is pretty tasty.

#7 Old 08-28-2011, 03:10 AM
Veggie Regular

French fries and ranch dressing was my favourite thing when I was a kid.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#8 Old 08-28-2011, 03:42 AM
Super Moderator

We had a thread just like this a few years back, that's how I got turned on to Baked Potatoes with A1

My weird food combos: Tortilla chips and vegan jel, Baked beans with Ruffles potatoes chips, and PB&J with Ruffles inside.
#9 Old 08-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Mint and root beer. While at a family gathering, I was eating something very minty (a brownie with a mint creme on top) and went to drink a bit of my root beer... and it tasted really good. I had others who were there try the combo and they all agreed. I now go out of my way to have root beer around when I eat something minty. Root beer floats with mint ice cream is nice too. I also grew up eating peanut butter and colby cheese sandwiches. A lot of people think it's gross, but none of them had actually tried them. It was my favorite sandwich. Also, French fries are awesome dipped in a mayo and ketchup mixture.
#10 Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWhispers View Post

Mint and root beer. While at a family gathering, I was eating something very minty (a brownie with a mint creme on top) and went to drink a bit of my root beer... and it tasted really good. I had others who were there try the combo and they all agreed. I now go out of my way to have root beer around when I eat something minty. Root beer floats with mint ice cream is nice too. I also grew up eating peanut butter and colby cheese sandwiches. A lot of people think it's gross, but none of them had actually tried them. It was my favorite sandwich. Also, French fries are awesome dipped in a mayo and ketchup mixture.

I think if you search for recipes for homemade root beer, there is some sort of mint extract that is used in the mixture, that's assuming you are doing it from scratch and not just buying root beer extract. That may have something to do with the tastiness of your combination.

My boyfriend and I went to the local specialty beer store for one of their free tastings the other day, and we had beer floats with different kinds of stouts and vanilla ice cream. Very interesting and tasty.
#11 Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

pizza and peanut butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

That sounds nasty!

I like sandwiches with vegan cheese and jam.
#12 Old 08-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches are good.

I don't think 99% of what's in this thread is unusual or gross.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#13 Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Impeach the gangster

Chocolate ripple ice cream and tortilla chips.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#14 Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to love crisps dipped in dairy yoghurt. I don't think I've tried a vegan version yet.
#15 Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Well my breakfast this morning was cold (leftover) uncle ben's herb and wild rice with veganaise and tobasco sauce mixed in, a drizzle of low-sodium V8, sprinkled with onion salt. Yum!
#16 Old 08-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches are good.

I don't think 99% of what's in this thread is unusual or gross.

Does my vegan jel and tortilla chips fit int he 1%?
#17 Old 08-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, it is unusual, in that you're the first person I've connected with who does this, still, it's not gross to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Does my vegan jel and tortilla chips fit int he 1%?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#18 Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Well, it is unusual, in that you're the first person I've connected with who does this, still, it's not gross to me.

So good
#19 Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm really having craving for a slushie, chocolate, and french fries.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#20 Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Days View Post

I'm really having craving for a slushie, chocolate, and french fries.

This reminds me of when I used to eat chocolate milkshakes or frosties and dipped my fries in them. It was really good!
#21 Old 08-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

This reminds me of when I used to eat chocolate milkshakes or frosties and dipped my fries in them. It was really good!

#22 Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Veggie Regular

peanut butter and pickles is bomb! has to be bread and butter pickles, though - it only works with sweet ones. I used to think my brothers were so gross when they'd do this... they're so happy they recruited me to the dark side.

bananas with sweet chili sauce
apples with spicy orange sauce
and I mix spicy bbq sauce with honey mustard for my fries. (although that's not really weird, if you can get past the color of it.)

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#23 Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

peanut butter and pickles is bomb! has to be bread and butter pickles, though - it only works with sweet ones. I used to think my brothers were so gross when they'd do this... they're so happy they recruited me to the dark side.

I don't like the sweet pickles, I use dill or other sour pickles.

I remember the first time I had this; I was a little girl and my family was helping people move. There were a bunch of hungry kids and all they had was a jar in the fridge with a few pickles and a bit of peanut butter in the bottom of the jar. So, they put them together on the few pieces of bread they had and viola!

I used to drink pickle juice from the jars and also lick the rabbit's salt lick as a child, so not much seems odd to me really.

#24 Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I've never tried that, but now I really, really want a Frosty. They need to make a vegan version, that's probably the only ice cream that I miss, besides Phish Food, but chocolate Frosty's are the only plain ones without candy and flavors and stuff mixed in
#25 Old 08-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

deleted
#26 Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I used to drink pickle juice from the jars and also lick the rabbit's salt lick as a child, so not much seems odd to me really.

I still drink pickle juice from the jars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I've never tried that, b ut now I really, really want a Frosty. They need to make a vegan version, that's probably the only ice cream that I miss, besides Phish Food, but chocolate Frosty's are the only plain ones without candy and flavors and stuff mixed in

YES! I want vegan versions of McDonald's seasonal shakes too. I miss shamrock shakes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I crave salt so much, and so often, I have considered buying a rabbit salt lick and just using it myself.

Same here. I put salt or salty condiments on everything.
#27 Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Banned

deleted
#28 Old 08-28-2011, 08:30 PM

A few times a year I have to have it... peanut butter & ketchup sandwich on fresh white bread.

Yes, I know.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#29 Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:

I share your affinity for pickle juice AND salt licks. I used to lick the big purple salt blocks that we had on the farm for cows. Seemed perfectly normal...and tasty.

I'm sensitive, & I'd like to stay that way ~JK~
#30 Old 08-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

That sounds worth trying... Maybe will try that combination (PB and onions) on the pizza, if I get around to thinking of something that will work with that, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthWhispers View Post

Mint and root beer. While at a family gathering, I was eating something very minty (a brownie with a mint creme on top) and went to drink a bit of my root beer... and it tasted really good. I had others who were there try the combo and they all agreed. I now go out of my way to have root beer around when I eat something minty. Root beer floats with mint ice cream is nice too.

Ooooh, that sounds nummy. Next time I've got some vegan mint ice cream handy, gonna try that.

And it's not weird to me that you'd find cheese and PB good together. Many vegan cheeze sauces contain tahini or nut butters. So rich and fatty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

bananas with sweet chili sauce
apples with spicy orange sauce

Oooh. Been meaning to try making some kind of a curry with bananas sometime. That's not my own idea, though, I've seen it done on a cooking show and saw it in an Indian recipe book I had out from the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

I get my blood pressure checked frequently, but it's always on the low end of normal, so I let myself eat all the salt I want. Which is a lot.

My blood pressure's also always been on the low end of normal, or a bit below sometimes, and I used to take that as a license to eat as much salt as I wanted (and I used to eat A LOT, before I moved out on my own). It's a mistake to do that, though, as a high salt intake causes your body to lose calcium. Salt (as well as sugar and animal protein) makes your blood acidic, and to get it back to normal, your body takes calcium from your bones to make your blood more alkaline again. It's not as problematic if you consume lots of calcium (eat a variety of greens, beans, lentils, soy products, almonds and almond butter), but many people don't. Pair a low calcium intake with a high salt, sugar, and/or animal product-heavy diet and that's a recipe for future disaster for your bones.

Direct action is always the clamorer, the initiator, through which the great sum of indifferentists become aware that oppression is getting intolerable. - Voltairine de Cleyre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page