Family concerned about veggie lifestyle - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 AM

So I was speaking to my sister on the phone last night, and she was basically yelling at me for even thinking of going vegetarian because I'll apparently "get really really sick and then eventually have to go back to meat because you can't get all the necessary vitamins and minerals and stuff to survive from vegetables." <- Actually what she said.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you tell your family members? I know what foods to eat so that I still maintain all of the proper vitamins and such but they don't seem to believe me.

~Tabby~ I am a very new vegetarian (20 June 2011) and am still learning a lot. I'm probably quite naive in my views.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Something I read(possibly on this forum) about dealing with those issues family members have, was to ask your sister(or whoever) to keep a diary of what they were eating and how they felt after a month, you do the same. Including weight, skin condition, toilet habits and sleeping patterns. Also for the food side document protien levels, etcetc.
People who have been raised to get protein from meat cannot fathom how else (or how easy it is) to get protein if its not from animal sources. By showing her that a bean cassarole is just as valid as a steak you might just get through to her. Or shell say its a dumb idea and well thats just admitting defeat
#3 Old 06-23-2011, 02:55 AM

My sister is quite....I can't think of the word, but I guess it would be naive, more so than I can be. She'll believe anything that her friends tell her (she's in the Navy and all of her friends are much older than her, so if they told her that there is physically no other way to get protein she would believe them rather than doing the research herself.)
I told her that I feel absolutely amazing since I've cut meat out of my diet on Monday and she was just like, no, no it's impossible. I'm going to send Mom home with loads of vitamins for you because you will in no way be getting anything you need. I did ask her if she'd thought about the animals that she's consuming and she was just completely uninterested. She's a mega omnivore though, and mainly eats steak and fish and things. She's always been the bigger meat eater out of the two of us.

~Tabby~ I am a very new vegetarian (20 June 2011) and am still learning a lot. I'm probably quite naive in my views.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe she feels threatened by your diet. She may feel that veg*nism is weird and doesn't want her sister to be one of those weird people. She may be worried that you'll look down on her for eating meat. You'll just have to politely stand your ground. Let her know that you've done your research and know how to eat healthfully on a veg*n diet. Refuse to argue about it with her. She'll settle down eventually.
#5 Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbyx View Post

So I was speaking to my sister on the phone last night, and she was basically yelling at me for even thinking of going vegetarian because I'll apparently "get really really sick and then eventually have to go back to meat because you can't get all the necessary vitamins and minerals and stuff to survive from vegetables." <- Actually what she said.

Here's a way to get a good laugh.

Wait until she brings this up again, or bring it up yourself. Then, ask her to specifically point out what vitamins and minerals you can get in meat that you can't get anywhere else. Watch her sputter and stammer and try to come up with an answer, she won't be able to.

The truth is there's NOTHING in meat that you can't get anywhere else, there's no magic meat nutrient. Here's a nice little overview of how to eat a super healthy vegetarian diet, if you're like me you'll experience an improvement in health and get tons more energy.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healt...gnutrition.htm

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Arm yourself with facts.
Plus, I'm sure your sis didn't have much to say if you weren't getting any nuts or fruits in your diet.

I like the books "Becoming Vegan" and "Becoming Vegetarian." I recommend them to everyone just starting out, and especially those who are either afraid about their nutrition, or have family members who are.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#7 Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

yea I had similar problems when I went vegetarian, most every one of us has experienced these questions from people. After educating myself on nutrition I found it pretty easy to talk to people and dispel their concerns. Can't even remember the last time I couldn't convince someone that my diet was 100% healthy.

It takes time too though. Like you said she's a huge omnivore and that's food/nutrition as she knows it. People are naturally against change and new ideas, doing something for decades somehow makes you believe that it is the best or only way to do something, and everything else is inferior. It's kind of like religion, there's many different religions all across the world, and for the most part your religion depends on how and where you were raised, and other religions are "less correct" to you.

don't expect to get your whole point across overnight. When I first went vegan, my mom said it was the worst decision i've made in my entire life, and last month she made me vegan cupcakes.
#8 Old 06-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

It's really sad how uneducated people are on nutrition. As others said, arm yourself with facts. I was actually going to post exactly what Werewolf Girl did, ask her specifically what vitamins/nutrients you'd be missing. Then flip it around and ask her where she gets her vitamin A, D, Magnesium, etc.
#9 Old 07-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Luckily she hasn't mentioned it again, but she's still kinda pushing eating some meat.
I sent her the link to that webpage as we don't get to talk that often so I'm just waiting to hear back from her.

#10 Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't worry. In ten years she'll cool off about it and start asking you for recipes.
I'm only half kidding. Seriously, just ignore her for now. Focus on yourself and making sure you're healthy.

Edit to add: Here are some resources to help ensure your health...
http://www.pcrm.org/health/veginfo/vsk/food_groups.html
http://www.theveganrd.com/food-guide-for-vegans
http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-food-pyramid.asp

Plus...
http://www.vegansoapbox.com/governme...gan-resources/
#11 Old 07-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbyx View Post

Has anyone else had this problem? What do you tell your family members? I know what foods to eat so that I still maintain all of the proper vitamins and such but they don't seem to believe me.

I ask them where they think the vitamins and minerals in the meat came from. Naturally it comes from the vegetarian diet the animal eats. Well, I get my vitamins and minerals the same way. And, guess what? I am a veggie and get more than the recommended amount of protein too. The funny thing is, the people who are usually "worried" about my diet (aka threatened by my lifestyle) are usually unhealthy overeaters who subsist on junk food and eat very few fresh fruits and veggies. Funny how that hipocracy thing works.
#12 Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Protein deficiency is actually extremely uncommon, which I have to explain to people over and over again. Even vegans get enough protein. Even people who eat pure junk get enough protein. You would have to be virtually starving in a third world country to have a protein deficiency, especially in our super-fortified, post-WWII world.

That said, unfortunately, there is no answer. Even when you're still healthy years from now, people will be convinced that this will cause you to drop dead any minute now. People don't see because they don't want to see. I wish I had something better to say than that.

Eventually, though, she'll keep her opinion to herself, for the most part. That's the upside. I recommend venting to your veg*n friends both online and offline, and, as others have suggested, ask them silly questions and laugh. : )
#13 Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

There was a time when I believed just as your sister does. I bought into the complete protein myth and was aghast when a friend's boyfriend went vegan a number of years ago. The best thing to do is to be armed with facts and you may want to reassure her by telling her you plan to have bloodwork done to make sure you are not deficient in nutrients. Above all, be polite about it and you will stand a better chance of winning her over.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page