"snobby" vegan food for pool party - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

My sister asked me to cook for her party in a few weeks for a bunch of people. She is a bit of a snob sometimes and loves to impress people. I need something that looks snobby and fancy but is pretty inexpensive and easy. I am already thinking hummus and maybe some sort of Israeli couscous . Excited and nervous about this. She may even pay me.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Ankle Biter

If you want finger foods, how about vegetarian sushi? Baba ganoush (sp?) goes well with hummus, and is nice with pita triangles. Eggless egg salad and mock tuna triangle sandwiches are good too. Fancy vegetable chips are also nice.

If you want bowl foods, there's always spicy peanut noodles, potato salads and all kinds of fancy bean salads.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I just rolled veg sushi today. It's my third attempt. It came out yummers, but a "snobby" group would immediately note how amateur it is. I wouldn't try sushi unless you know you're good at it.

Lavender pear martini's are becoming popular: http://www.food.com/recipe/lavender-pear-martini-379365
The pear nectar mentioned is very cheap, and usually in the Mexican/Hispanic sections of grocery stores.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm cooking for a get together this weekend, so I've been looking for recipes too. Here are some of the things I'm considering:

- a bulgur wheat or wild rice salad chock full of veggies, maybe something like this or this
- grilled sweet potato slices like this
- grilled asparagus
- vegetable samosas

One way I like to get ideas is to look at menus for fancy vegan restaurants.

Whatever you end up making, be sure to post some pictures of your food!
#5 Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I make a pretty fancy-pants pasta salad: rotini with sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, hearts of palm and fresh basil tossed in balsamic and olive oil. It's always a hit, and it's not overtly vegan (there's nothing about it that would weird out people who weren't used to vegan food).

Just don't use the tri-colored rotini. That ****'s tacky.
#6 Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a book out called The Whole Foods Market Cookbook, and they had a Baked Felafel Ball recipe that sounded delicious. I haven't made them, but still...

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#7 Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Skinny B*tch in the Kitch has a section for 'grown up appetizers'

Crabby Cakes with Remoulade Sauce
Garlicky White Bean Spread on Crostini
Herbed “Egg” Salad Scoops
Mock Chopped Liver
Spicy Mixed Nuts
Stuffed Mushrooms
Spicy Sushi Rolls with Avocado and Cucumber

If you want the recipes for any of these just let me know and I'll copy/paste them
#8 Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 AM

Snobby people to impress - I don't envy you there! Good luck!

You could make some "ice cream" by running frozen fruit through a juicer. Here's a cool recipe for this: http://www.hacres.com/recipes/cards/...ozen-ice-dream. Here is a strawberry pie: http://www.hacres.com/recipes/cards/raw-strawberry-pie.

Also, there are a couple of Facebook groups about Vegan Recipes that I've gotten some great ideas from. I know of a blog (I think it's called Fat-Free Vegan) that I've gotten some awesome recipes from.
#9 Old 06-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I make a pretty fancy-pants pasta salad: rotini with sun dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, hearts of palm and fresh basil tossed in balsamic and olive oil. It's always a hit, and it's not overtly vegan (there's nothing about it that would weird out people who weren't used to vegan food).

That might be nice with the couscous.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#10 Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Vegan Very Metal

Prepare some fancy raw food salad using all sorts of fruits and vegetables. Tell the "snobs" that all the food is fairtrade and organic and far healthier for them than cooked food. Try to find out all the latin names for all the produce as well, that will definetly impress! Well maybe.
#11 Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Mel, it seems to me going with a theme may be good. You make curry a lot and it always sounds good! Maybe Thai or Indian food would work?

Meeting snobbery with snobbery doesn't often garner respect or curry favor, what it does do is alienate offend or up the snob ante.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Prepare some fancy raw food salad using all sorts of fruits and vegetables. Tell the "snobs" that all the food is fairtrade and organic and far healthier for them than cooked food. Try to find out all the latin names for all the produce as well, that will definetly impress! Well maybe.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#12 Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

But...but I like tri colour pasta.... D:
#13 Old 06-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Mel, it seems to me going with a theme may be good. You make curry a lot and it always sounds good! Maybe Thai or Indian food would work?

Meeting snobbery with snobbery doesn't often garner respect or curry favor, what it dies donis alienate offend or up the snob ante.

I did ask if they wanted any theme but no answer yet. Not a lot of people are a hugs spice fan.

And I agree I want to impress not be a snob myself.

Marilyn Monroe
#14 Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Make pita bread to go with the hummus. My problem is, SB, is even though I know you through 1 website (veggieboards), I think you'd have a hard time coming across as a snob to anyone.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page