Raw cashews - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 AM

I've been a vegetarian for almost 11 months and I love it and while I probably won't ever become a vegan, I like the idea of lowering my consumption of dairy. I already don't eat eggs, milk, or butter unless it's in something I buy. I don't buy them to cook with. My question is with raw cashews. I see a lot of recipes with raw cashews being used in "cheese" recipes but I'm wondering just how safe it is. I know that raw cashews aren't really raw and that they steam them to make them safe to eat, however I have heard that a lot of people have reactions to raw cashews (meaning those that have only been steamed, not roasted) and honestly, while I love the idea of using cashews to use in recipes in place of cheese, I'm also kind of scared to eat them raw. I guess I'd like to know what you think about using them to make "cheese sauces" and whether any of you have had a reaction to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

No I haven't. Are you aware of any problems with mangos? They are in the same family as cashews, so if you know you have a mango allergy or intolerance, it's likely you'll have trouble with cashews.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

no reaction here! Cashew cheezes or other sauces are very good!

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I make nondairy ice cream with unroasted cashews frequently, no reaction (other than 'yum').

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#5 Old 06-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

No reactions with me and I eat a ton of cashews.

a key to making sauces with cashews is to soak for a day or two before using them.
#6 Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had a reaction to "raw" cashews, nor have I ever heard of such.

I've also never used them to make fake cheese. I use them in a variety of other applications, plus they're great just for snacking on raw.

I get mine from a local Indian Grocery store. They are labeled as simply "cashews" but they're definitely raw, and they are WAY cheaper than buying them from a health food store.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#7 Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 AM

I've never heard of a problem with raw cashews before. I use them A LOT! They turn so creamy that even my husband doesn't complain about the "fake" dairy. It is really the best substitution I have found for cream and cheese substitutions. Actually I buy so many, I once had the cashier at the local nut and candy shop where I get them ask me what I used all these for! She said she always wondered why I bought them so often. I think my answer of "I used them to replace dairy in recipes" to be strange and confusing!
#8 Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Cashew sensitivities are very rare, from what I understand. Their shells are very caustic, but that's why you'll never find cashews in the shell... and they're steamed to remove the shell, that's all.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#9 Old 06-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I do know someone who breaks out in hives from cashews and mango.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#10 Old 06-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I love raw cashews and they work great for making vegan mac n cheese and vegan ricotta.
#11 Old 06-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

you should google raw cashews. I read somewhere that the leaves of the plant are toxic.
#12 Old 06-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I did some googling and apparently the raw cashews I eat are not truly raw...like Randy said, they are steamed to remove the shell. Supposedly they are labeled 'raw' because they are not roasted.
#13 Old 06-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmm cashews. They're a little sweet and really creamy raw.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

There are lots of things we eat that comes from plants with poisonous parts. Like tomatoes and potatoes right off the top of my head.

Should we all stop eating tomatoes because the leaves are toxic?

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page