Vegan Mac n Cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I was finally able to get my hands on some vegan gourment, and I made macaroni and cheese with the cheddar. It rocks! By itself it sucks, but melted it was really good.

Boil elbow noodles I used half a box with intent on left overs

1/4 cup silk soy milk heated

1 tbs flour

mix flour and silk together to create a roux, then dice up the cheeze and blend it together in the pan untill melted and semi firm sauce. Add 1 tsp margarine and plenty of salt to taste.

Blend in noodles and enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

[QUOTE=Wiccanveg]I was finally able to get my hands on some vegan gourment, and I made macaroni and cheese with the cheddar. It rocks! By itself it sucks, but melted it was really good.

i saw your post abou whole foods having it and i am DYING to get there and when i do, mac and cheese is toips on my list!!! thanks for info!!
#3 Old 03-01-2004, 09:12 PM

my whole foods doesnt have it?? where are you guys located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in Illinois. I think I heard the girl say it was a special request that is flying off the shelves, so maybe you could request it? Let them know it's the same company they get vegainase from
#5 Old 03-03-2004, 10:02 PM

You can make your own vegan mac and cheese at home if you wanted:

½ cup nutritional yeast flakes

3 tablespoons flour

4 teaspoons cornstarch

½ teaspoon dry mustard

½ teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 ½ cups soy milk

1 tablespoon canola oil

Whisk the first six ingredients in a medium saucepan.

Add soy milk and oil and whisk until smooth.

Cook over low heat until the sauce thickens about 4 minutes. Note: Whisk the entire time to prevent clumping or burning.

Makes 1 ½ cups

The nutritional yeast is pretty expensive but it's well worth it.
#6 Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

This is some of the best Mac & Cheese I've ever had (no Vegan Gourmet needed). It's creamy just like the dairy stuff. I could eat the sauce by the spoonful all by itself. I think it tastes better than the dairy stuff that my mother used to make. Even she thought so, and she was omni when she first tried it. (She has since become vegetarian after I showed her PETA's "Meet Your Meet".)

WASTE Mac'n'Cheese

(which contains absolutely no cheese, natch)

Ingredients

3 cups macaroni

1/2 cup margarine

1/2 cup flour

2 tsp salt

2 tsp garlic powder

a pinch of turmeric [I use about 1/4 tsp.]

2 tbsp good shoyu or tamari soy sauce

1 cup nutritional yeast flakes

1/4 cup oil

1 or 2 peppers, chopped (we prefer Annaheims) optional [but really tasty]

Paprika to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F.

Start boiling water in a pot for macaroni. Add a pinch of salt, but no oil. Oil is wrong. Also start boiling exactly 3 cups of water in a teapot for making the sauce.

Measure out ingredients while waiting for water to boil. Or stand around like an idiot and then panic later. Your choice. What? You didn't read this far until after the water was boiling? Fool.

When water is boiling, begin cooking macaroni, stirring occassionally. You can turn down the teapot when it starts to boil, cuz you won't need it for a couple minutes yet.

In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat. Whisk in flour. When it has reached an even, bubbly consistency, whisk in boiling water from teapot. Reduce heat to low. Stir until smooth again and add garlic, salt, turmeric, and soy sauce. Then fold in nutritional yeast flakes and oil and stir until smooth. If you just added a cup of nutritional yeast powder or, worse yet, brewer's yeast, you've probably just made your dinner inedible. Eat it anyway as punishment for not following directions. Mix the peppers in.

If your timing is good, the macaroni should be finished now. When it's done, drain it in a collander and shake the excess water out quickly. Pour all the macaroni back into the pot, then mix in the sauce. Don't burn yourself on the pot or you'll feel stupid. You could use a fancy casserole dish or something, but that's just one more dish to clean. Whatever. It's your dinner, do it however you want. Sprinkle paprika on top.

Cook for 15 minutes at 350F and then for 5 minutes on "broil". Don't sit around. Wash the dishes while you're waiting - that saucepan will be hard to clean later. Might as well put away all the ingredients you left out too. Serve with fresh-ground pepper, maybe some diced tomato, even some sprouts. Do not serve with ketchup, broccoli, or veggie franks unless you're some sort of freak. Freak.
#7 Old 03-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Just thought I would let you know I tried EatMe and Lorraine's cheese sauce (they are very similar, and I just threw in the ingr. until it tasted right.)

It still had that yeasty taste I'm not fond of so I threw in a can of veggie chili and a can of stewed tomatoes.

Turned out to be some of the best chilimac ever! Thanks! Lunch was great.
#8 Old 03-04-2004, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll have to try that chili mac recipe. It sounds really good. However, I should say that while the two recipes do seem similar (mine is actually not mine. I found it on a website), there are some significant differences. I've had a version of EatMe's recipe which is generally referred to as Yeast Cheez or Yeast Gravy in most recipe books. The recipe I posted omits the mustard, adds tumeric and soy sauce, and most significantly adds a huge amount of fat. All that added fat makes all the difference in the world. It may not make a difference to someone who doesn't like nutritional yeast, because your taste buds will be hypersensitive to a flavor that you don't like. But when I first made this cheese sauce, I too thought that it would taste pretty much the same as the yeast cheese that I had been accustomed to making before. I was completely blown away by the difference. It's really a lot smoother and less yeasty tasting than the standard yeast cheese, and the peppers really top off the flavor. But again, if you don't like nutritional yeast that much, all of that might not matter.

I'm always surprised when people say that they don't like Nutritional Yeast. I've had friends and relatives who don't necessarily like the smell of it, but will scarf down anything I make with it. I personally loved it from the moment I first used it, smell and all.
#9 Old 03-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

"I personally loved it from the moment I first used it, smell and all."

me too
#10 Old 03-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

mmmmm...Nutritional Yeast.
#11 Old 03-05-2004, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I HATE the smell, but I love the taste- go figure
#12 Old 03-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

This is so funny and ironic...without even reading this thread..I made vegan mac and cheese for dinner...haha!!! I hope it turns out okay...from what you all are saying it should be good.

(I have prepped it..but haven't baked it yet...--I will bake it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350...)

Yummy!

I have been fasting all day and I am dying for some food...today has been hard for some reason...
#13 Old 03-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I really disliked nutritional yeast.
#14 Old 03-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I think those recipes are basically what chreese is. At first I didn't like it very much because the person who made it didn't know how to make it good. Once I started making it myself and adding margarine and soymilk...MMMMMMmmmm...now I crave it all the time. I like Nutritional Yeast.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#15 Old 03-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Gun View Post

At first I didn't like it very much because the person who made it didn't know how to make it good. Once I started making it myself and adding margarine and soymilk...MMMMMMmmmm...now I crave it all the time. I like Nutritional Yeast.

That's what I'm talking about.
#16 Old 03-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Just FYI - I made EatMe's mac n cheese today and it is amazing!!!! Reminds me of fetuccini alfredo, actually. But its ridiculously good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page