Make vegetarian stuff cheaper damn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Veggie Regular

RANDOM RANT TO THE WORLD GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I WANT IT CHEAPER! How on earth can a vegetarian meal cost the same or more as one with meat. Animals cost a **** load to raise :S Damn it greedy *******s just give me reasonably priced stuff for a change!

That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Ira
Banned

i think veggie meal in a normal (omni) restaurant is a few dollars cheaper usually
#3 Old 04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont think it is expensive to cook. But at a restaurant, yes it is can be stupidly expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Veggie Regular

At a restaurant, you're paying for all of the extras, not the true cost of the food. Employees, building rental, water costs, electricity, repairs, insurance, etc. Sometimes veggie meals are cheaper, but not always. What gets me is that MF and Quorn are so pricey. Why on earth am I paying $6.49 for Quorn now? Yes, $6.49. It used to be $3.49/$3.99 when I first discovered it a few years ago. MF products are almost double too. I only buy them on sale now.
#5 Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Agreed on things like Quorn. Don't get Quorn in NZ, but some brands that do tofu sausages or soy patties etc are so expensive.
#6 Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

It's not all that expensive here... My food shop is WAY cheaper than my meat-eating flatmate's, and he actually buys less food than I do (and then eats all of mine).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 04-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Banned

The meat and dairy industries are subsidized by the government. The receive tons of money because they have planted their people in high ranking positions in the government and vote themselves these financial grants. Also, they bribe politicians for their influence to approve these subsidies. It's an extremely corrupt loop. But that's how meat and dairy can be bought much cheaper than vegetarian food.

Red bell peppers cost $3 each (less than half a pound). Chicken costs 99 cents per pound. In this case (which is very common), the vegetable costs 6 times more than meat. Come on, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it costs more to raise and feed a chicken (and then kill, de-feather, chop it up and package it) than it does to plant a bell pepper seed and pick it in a few months. The scales are way off balance here.

Vegetables should be dirt cheap and meat should be expensive. That's exactly how it used to be back in the day. Meat used to be a luxury because it was expensive.
#8 Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 AM

I haven't really found this, but then I don't eat out alot (but when I do I find the veggie stuff is cheaper, or the same, but never more expensive), and veggies are pretty cheap here unless you're after something ridiculously out of season. Then again I can't really compare, when I was an omni I never bought alot of meat because it was too expensive, but I didn't buy a whole lot of veggies either because I didn't cook nearly as much or with such variety as I do now :P
#9 Old 04-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

At a restaurant, you're paying for all of the extras, not the true cost of the food. Employees, building rental, water costs, electricity, repairs, insurance, etc. Sometimes veggie meals are cheaper, but not always.

Look at you, all fiercely loyal and being an advocate for your industry!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#10 Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Oh my goodness yes! I used to buy a big bag of bean and beef burritos for about $4 at my local supermarket. I don't buy those anymore and I shudder to think of what the "meat" in those things actually consisted of. I now really like the Amy's Organic bean burritos and one of those bad boys is running me almost $4.

And fruits and vegetable prices are out of this world. I'm seriously considering turning my backyard into farmland, lol.

Maybe it also depends on what part of the country you live in? I know where I live there is probably not much a demand for vegan food.
#11 Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM

I know, right? It's ridiculous how junk food is crazy cheap while healthier food options, be they vegan/vegetarian or not, are ridiculously expensive.

No wonder obesity is a problem.
#12 Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

The meat and dairy industries are subsidized by the government.

The OP is from Austrialia, not sure if the government subsidizes food there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungbean View Post

I haven't really found this, but then I don't eat out alot (but when I do I find the veggie stuff is cheaper, or the same, but never more expensive), and veggies are pretty cheap here unless you're after something ridiculously out of season. Then again I can't really compare, when I was an omni I never bought alot of meat because it was too expensive, but I didn't buy a whole lot of veggies either because I didn't cook nearly as much or with such variety as I do now :P

Produce isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's the premade stuff that is ridiculously pricey. I expect convenience foods to be more than dried beans and whatnot, but paying $6 for a pack of 4 veggie burgers when it was $4 about 2 years ago is irritating. A $2-2.50 increase in just 2 years is a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Look at you, all fiercely loyal and being an advocate for your industry!

After working in the industry for so long, I understand why everything is so expensive. It's true. Most people don't think of things like the price of cigarette sand for the trash cans ($400 for a tiny bag), all of the toilet paper, paper towels, and soap that is bought/used, cost of bug control, floor waxing, to go boxes, straws, ketchup (ketchup is expensive, especially the packets), napkins, broken dishes, lost silverware, etc. It adds up, that's why so many restaurants don't make it.
#13 Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Eating at restaurants is just crazy sometimes. I don't understand why a salad with mainly iceberg lettuce costs more than a plate of chicken fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

The meat and dairy industries are subsidized by the government. The receive tons of money because they have planted their people in high ranking positions in the government and vote themselves these financial grants. Also, they bribe politicians for their influence to approve these subsidies. It's an extremely corrupt loop. But that's how meat and dairy can be bought much cheaper than vegetarian food.

Red bell peppers cost $3 each (less than half a pound). Chicken costs 99 cents per pound. In this case (which is very common), the vegetable costs 6 times more than meat. Come on, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it costs more to raise and feed a chicken (and then kill, de-feather, chop it up and package it) than it does to plant a bell pepper seed and pick it in a few months. The scales are way off balance here.

Vegetables should be dirt cheap and meat should be expensive. That's exactly how it used to be back in the day. Meat used to be a luxury because it was expensive.

And here's a graph that shows all that in the USA: http://www.uwec.edu/geography/ivogel...-Subsidies.png

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#14 Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

One thing I find frustrating is when I order a meal without the meat, and it costs the same I got steak and portobello fajitas without the steak once, and they charged me the same Same with a pasta dish I ordered at Friday's recently. I should get at least a dollar off for no chicken or something But I'm stingy like that
Mock meats in stores can be pretty pricey too. I still always found that I spent less money than my omni roommates. I ate a lot of rice and beans, pasta, potatoes, etc.
#15 Old 04-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

One thing I find frustrating is when I order a meal without the meat, and it costs the same I got steak and portobello fajitas without the steak once, and they charged me the same Same with a pasta dish I ordered at Friday's recently. I should get at least a dollar off for no chicken or something But I'm stingy like that

That reminds me. Back when I was a vegetarian, we'd order White Castles and my mom would get 6 cheese burgers (essentially just a cheese, pickle, and onion sandwich) without the patty for me. They'd take 10 cents off since there was no meat. I thought that was cool because most places wouldn't dock the price.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#16 Old 04-28-2011, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

Agreed on things like Quorn. Don't get Quorn in NZ, but some brands that do tofu sausages or soy patties etc are so expensive.

Seriously. A box of boca runs me about 5 usdollars. Quorn is about 6. My wallet doesn't like me very much after I go food shopping.

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#17 Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned

Veggies for human consumption cost more to grow than veggies for animal consumption. That might be part of the problem.
The other part is transportation and equipment. A plant farmer needs to purchase more expensive equipment to plant, grow and sow the crops, it can easily hit the millions of dollars just in that alone for the farmer, then that equipment needs fuel to run, parts, labor etc... its not like they throw an ear of corn out and it just runs on back when its ready for eating.
Transportation of the product to market is also getting expensive, the cost of fuel has doubled, who do you think should pay for that?
Crop farmers are also able to recieve government subsidies by the way.

If you want the price of product to drop, then the price of fuel has to drop first, and that might actually mean drilling for oil.

Now lets look at one other interesting thing that many dont seem to understand. and that is, the family farm.
Lets say Elmer dies and leaves the farm to the kids to run, the first thing that happens is an estate tax has to be paid, remember all that equipment and land and buildings? they add up to millions of dollars on paper, so Elmer after making his 100k a year salary is now considered for tax purposes, a very rich man. The kids are either going to have to have a lot of money saved up to pay off the death taxes on the farm, or they are going to have to sell off the farm and its property to cover the expense. Who buys? most likely a developer, and in goes houses and out goes more farmland. Prices for the remaining farmers will go up since what they have is becoming less able to keep up with demand.

Now, we need to drill, we need to end any tax on farms when dad dies and we need to make sure that the truckers are able to bring us this product in an economical fashion.

The way we vote is why the prices are going up.
and before someone mentions electric cars. Yes, you can plug in and charge that car but remember, any time you convert one type of energy to another, you experience loss. so we burn oil to make the electricity, we lose power from the fuel to turn create the electricity, then we ship the electricity to the homes and we lose power in the lines, then we plug into the car and use that fuel created electricity to charge a battery that will once again lose some of its energy when running the motor to move the car. Seems like everything new that comes out creates a larger demand on our oil than what we currently have.
so get rid of the idea of a plug in car, drill for oil, get rid of the taxes and we might actually see a salad cost less than a steak dinner.
#18 Old 04-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Fruit and vegetables are cheap.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#19 Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Wannabe View Post

Seriously. A box of boca runs me about 5 usdollars. Quorn is about 6. My wallet doesn't like me very much after I go food shopping.

And like another person said, a bell pepper can run you 2 or 3$, but you can buy about 6 pounds of chicken for that $3. A half gallon of soy milk is about $3 here, same price as a full gallon of cow's milk. It is def due to the govt subsidizing the wrong foods, unfortunately. Like others have said, stock up when stuff is on sale!! I have also started buying some of the "about to go bad" produce at a huge discount. I either eat it that very same day or cut it up and freeze it and then cook with it later. Gardens are great, and you really don't need much room.
#20 Old 04-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

My vegan meals are always cheaper in omni restaurants. Also, produce where I live is really cheap, especially if it's in season.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#21 Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

A pound of organic quinoa here is $1.99. You guys spend a lot on food lol.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#22 Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiKat View Post

Mock meats in stores can be pretty pricey too. I still always found that I spent less money than my omni roommates. I ate a lot of rice and beans, pasta, potatoes, etc.

If you ask the manager, most of the time they will take off a few bucks or discount your entree. The price is set for the entree and since you're the one modifying it, the price isn't going to change. Computers don't take off money when you say no avocado, no tomato, etc. That being said, it would be nice if restaurants had more veggie options so you wouldn't need to modify a meat dish. What bothers me is when I ask for something like avocado in place of the chicken and I get charged for the avocado. Comparable items should be okay to swap out (I understand some restaurants keep strict inventory though and they're not flexible).
#23 Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I was thinking that too. Being a vegan is waaaay cheaper for me.

Jean-Paul Sartre
#24 Old 04-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Banned

it's not higher, unless you're buying prepared foods. with the overall money you save by not buying meat/dairy/egg, it's easy to buy daiya cheese or whatever else you want.
#25 Old 04-28-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

What??????? I buy my quinoa, (Acient Harvest brand in a little 12 oz red box), for $6.49 at my local health food store.
#26 Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAVegetarian View Post

What??????? I buy my quinoa, (Acient Harvest brand in a little 12 oz red box), for $6.49 at my local health food store.

Use the bulk bins instead

Jean-Paul Sartre
#27 Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

I spend SOOOO much less on groceries now than when I was an omni. Then it was $50 a night for food for me and my dad, now we spend $300 a month.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#28 Old 04-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Use the bulk bins instead

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#29 Old 04-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I spend SOOOO much less on groceries now than when I was an omni. Then it was $50 a night for food for me and my dad, now we spend $300 a month.

$50 A NIGHT!? How?
#30 Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I should be more specific. I dont really have any idea how to cook so use a lot of ready made or almost ready made things. These are the things im complaining about but fruits and vegetables are also way expensive over here. Australia isnt as bountiful as it used to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page