Dessert crisis! Please help! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Beginner

"But with the Industrial Revolution and introduction of various industrial techniques for purifying sugar, we have a situation in which what we are consuming is not good nutritionally or ecologically." ~Marvin Harris

Here's the problem:

6 months ago I quite drinking all forms of alcohol. There was a slew of different side effects, the one we are focusing on being a increased craving for sugar. This probably being due to me having previously consumed large quantities of various wines, ales, stouts, porters and the like and now not consuming any... at all. All of those beverages contain a good amount of sugar (including fermented sugar, aka, grain alcohol) which I am not consuming so I just crave it all the time now.

4 months ago I went vegetarian, which hasn't been hard to adapt too, but while being still rather new to it I haven't learned all there is to know in the way of good recipes, products, additives, etc. I am also a grazer. I tend to eat two meals a day and just graze around one of my kitchens the rest of the day and just snack on stuff. My craving for sweets enters into this quite often, I'm usually good about snacking on my peanut butter and apples, other fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts and stuff. But I always have the inclination to eat some fudge or cookies or cake (REFINED SUGAR), usually just when at work. So over the last two weeks I had been eating a lot of unhealthy sugars and was feeling sluggish, week and lethargic.

Once I realized the problem I began immediately eating nothing but fresh fruit again but I know my cravings too well. I was hoping this wonderful community of brothers and sisters could bestow upon my humble head the gift of knowledge in the form of ideas and/or recipes for healthy, sweet snack foods I can make and keep around to satisfy cravings but that (hopefully) won't physically destroy me.

I'd prefer vegan recipes but am not too attached to the idea if a good vegetarian one were to arise. I don't drink milk, though I'm sure Soy Milk will sub just fine. OOOHHH!! and I love whole grains with a passion, anything incorporating whole grains would be so awesome.

“The real satanist is not quite so easily recognized as such” - Anton Szandor LaVey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Veggie Regular

This sounds like it might be good. You could do the same with strawberries in soy milk (without the cinnamon). Bananas and strawberries in soy milk sounds good, too.

This is technically a breakfast bar, but who says you can't eat it as a somewhat sweet snack?
#3 Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I know what you mean about sugar cravings. I found going cold turkey helps put them back in check, until the next time they are eaten. I have to conscientiously monitor my sugar intake, which isn't hard, but it "could" be if left unchecked.

How about granola, made with maple syrup? You could check out Fran Costigan's cookbook http://www.amazon.com/MORE-GREAT-DAI...1804364&sr=1-1. Her recipes don't use any refined sugar. She does use other sweeteners like maple syrup or brown rice syrup, and other less processed ones.

I find if you do your own cooking, then freeze extra portions, that that can help. you've just reduced the phycial numb that are within reach.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently gave up alcohol too and my sugar cravings have gone through the roof. I've been substituting stevia or agave nectar in my cookie and cupcake recipes.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#5 Old 04-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Beginner

Yes, I do all my own cooking, as well as, cook for a living. I do love raw agave nectar. One thing I'd like to find is a way to create great chocolate desserts. Obviously I don't eat most commercial chocolate due to milk and butter, but most raw chocolate contains neither. There is also cocoa powder.

What is the egg substitute? Ener G is it? How does that work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

This sounds like it might be good. You could do the same with strawberries in soy milk (without the cinnamon). Bananas and strawberries in soy milk sounds good, too.

To be eaten after an unenjoyable meal? Ha ha. Sounds promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I recently gave up alcohol too and my sugar cravings have gone through the roof. I've been substituting stevia or agave nectar in my cookie and cupcake recipes.

You are right of course. I have had trouble breaking away from processed sugar for no other reason other than it's what I'm used to using, Though it would seem my new life is all about avoiding old habits and starting new ones to improve upon the quality of my life. How has your journey away from the vine been? For me it's been quite enlightening, albeit odd and difficult at times.

“The real satanist is not quite so easily recognized as such” - Anton Szandor LaVey
#6 Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Banned

Baked Potatoes!!!!
This is the key to fighting your sugar cravings, especially for those that are giving up alcohol.
The book Potatoes Not Prozac describes the scientific connections between sugar cravings and alcohol. Potatoes work great because of the way they release tryptophan and what they do to our insulin. I used to be just like you described, as soon as I cut out alcohol my sugar cravings were bad and I was on a constant rollercoaster of sugar highs and lows. I stumbled upon Potatoes Not Prozac and with every chapter lights were going off in my head, the author was describing me and some of my family members to a "T".
Anyways, now after learning about why people who drink tend to crave sugar and why potatoes are the solution to this problem, I can safely be around sugar without eating it all
I eat a baked potato (with skin, its important) almost everyday. For breakfast mostly, but it is easy to eat a baked potato almost anytime of day. Please try this out, or at least read Potatoes Not Prozac, its an easy read and in almost all libraries.
#7 Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Baked Potatoes!!!!
This is the key to fighting your sugar cravings, especially for those that are giving up alcohol.
The book Potatoes Not Prozac describes the scientific connections between sugar cravings and alcohol. Potatoes work great because of the way they release tryptophan and what they do to our insulin. I used to be just like you described, as soon as I cut out alcohol my sugar cravings were bad and I was on a constant rollercoaster of sugar highs and lows. I stumbled upon Potatoes Not Prozac and with every chapter lights were going off in my head, the author was describing me and some of my family members to a "T".
Anyways, now after learning about why people who drink tend to crave sugar and why potatoes are the solution to this problem, I can safely be around sugar without eating it all
I eat a baked potato (with skin, its important) almost everyday. For breakfast mostly, but it is easy to eat a baked potato almost anytime of day. Please try this out, or at least read Potatoes Not Prozac, its an easy read and in almost all libraries.

That's really interesting. Does the type of potato matter?
#8 Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

It shouldn't matter what kind of potato because the sugars and protein amounts in the different kinds is about the same. The main difference between potatoes is waxy vs starchy.

of course preparation matters, you don't get the same response from fried potatoes, and leaving the skin on is also beneficial. steaming and baking are the best. when i don't eat baked potatoes i usually have mashed mixed with some greens (colcannon) its so yummy
#9 Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Beginner

I will try the potato exercise, but I will need to read that book. I can't ever blindly do anything, I have to learn as much about it as I can first. It's a quirk. Thanks for the info.

Today's cravings were crazy. I woke up at 3:30 to run. It was crazy windy outside so the resistance was high and the run was tough. Maybe that was the cause. I don't know. I got to work at 5 and it began immediately. I ate 2 bananas, 2 apples, 4 cups of soy milk, a bottle of vitamin water, a fruit smoothie, juice, almonds, peanut butter and tomato soup all within about 5 hours while working. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome eating all that, but it was crazy. That wasn't all the food I ate either, just all the sweet foods. I kept seeing little butterscotch candies or cookies or sugar-this or sugar-that and had to tell myself "NO" and eat something else.

I'm a monster.

#10 Old 04-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

whoa man (or lady!) you are going to give yourself diabetes! Seriously, no wonder you have sugar cravings....you have to get some protein in there. That's too much fruit and it's too much soy milk -which has sugar in it. that was about 2-3 days worth of soy milk in iteself.....(Take any or none to heart).

Where are your whole grains-pastas or rice, oats, or millet or quinoa, legumes, and some beans? YOu need some complex sugars to balance out the simpler sugars you're eating there. I understand you need to refuel after running, but that's where a nice bowl of oatmeal could have come in handy, with some fresh fruit added. If you didn't eat a good bkft after that run, and waited till you got to work, no wonder you wanted to wolf down everything in sight. You have to FEED your body properly (in general and of course we all splurge-but I mean like most of the time).

you consumed a HUGE amt of sugar is just the foods you mentioned. I think you need to do a conscientious eval of what you're eating and why. Are you an emotional eater? Have you had any blood work to find out if your blood sugar is high or low? Maybe diabetes or prediabetes or even hypoglycemia is what's driving you to eat like that. Or, if you just are making really bad choices, you need to make much better food choices.

In your first post, you said you used to consume large amts of alcohol. Like you said, it's basically all sugar. If that was a mainstay of your diet, my thoughts are, your body/mind is driving you to replace the alcohol sugar with food sugar to get the same kind of effect, which it won't, but if your body feels high on the sugar, it's kind of a replacement high that the alcohol used to give you. and 2), if alcohol was a problem, potentially bad eating patterns can emerge from a bad lifestyle.....just putting that out there (I used to work in the addiction field- I used to see it all of the time!)

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#11 Old 04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried finding any wacky reviews about that book I could find on line, but read nothing but good reviews on it. I didn't find any substantial peer reviews from other PhD's, on the Potatoes Not Prozac, but many people swear it has changed their life. Sounds like a good book worth picking up!

#12 Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Beginner

Oh don't worry, Photojess. I do eat pretty balanced on a regular basis. I always have fresh cooked beans and brown rice in the fridge. I keeps oats, flax seed, cracked wheat, barely and kashi cereal around at all times. Make wheat flour tortillas. (I usually use homemade brown rice milk on my cereal, not soy milk) I press, marinate and fry my own tofu. I love giant leaves of organic spinach and herbs herbs herbs. tons of veggies- I could go on. The sweets thing is just a habit which can easily turn bad in the right (wrong) circumstance. That's why I started this thread, to get ideas from people who may have gone through the similar thing or have good recipes they use to satisfy there own cravings for sweets. Preferably ones with no refined sugar and whole grains. I'm gonna eat sugar, I'm a 6'3" 230 pound vegetarian. I do appreciate your information though. I'm going to check out Potatoes Not Prozac and see what that's all about.

I suspect my body is craving more sugar due to more physical activity as well.

#13 Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

ok....much better then! hormones maybe too?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page