What is your favorite non-dairy milk and which ones will heat up well? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular

So I'm switching to non-dairy milk and I was pretty surprised by the variety of options that I found. I'm sure I'll eventually try them all, but I'd be interested to hear what your favorite is.

Also, I like to warm up my milk before I add it to my coffee. Are there any non-dairy milks that shouldn't be heated or that will change in some way when heated? Thanks for helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2011, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Soy can change a bit when heated, but a quick warming for coffee as you describe should be fine. It's my favorite, and almond or rice heat up fine too. Some others are grainy or odd in my opinion.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I heat up chocolate soy milk for hot chocolate to drink. Haven't noticed any major changes, but it's not boiling either.

The guy at veganbaking.net did a trial with 5 non dairy milks, and soy came out on top, and has the best ability to curdle, to represent buttermilk in recipes

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

I drink coconut milk. Not sure how it heats up, as I don't put milk in my tea.
#5 Old 03-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Sounds like soy will be first on my list to try. And I think I'll also be checking out veganbaking.net!
#6 Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM
lss

I love almond milk. I just heated it up this past weekend with no problems.
#7 Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Impeach the gangster

I use Silk (soy) for making gravy, even to the point of boiling. Works just fine.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#8 Old 03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

So-Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#9 Old 03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewski View Post

I drink coconut milk. Not sure how it heats up, as I don't put milk in my tea.

It heats up very well, I use it for hot cocoa all the time.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#10 Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM
mlp
Banned

Rice milk has a thinner consistency than soy, and seems watery to me in coffeee. When I want to use a *creamer* in my coffee or tea, I use soy. Almond milk is nice too, but it gives coffee an almond flavored taste - nice from time to time, but I generally prefer coffee unflavored.

Chocolate soy milk, heated, makes a hot chocolate that, IMO, is superior to dairy hot chocolate. My ex, a big dairy milk drinker, thinks that chocolate soy is better than chocolate dairy milk. I buy my chocolate soy milk from Aldi's - their house brand - as good as Silk, and cheaper.
#11 Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

It heats up very well, I use it for hot cocoa all the time.

Thanks. I'll have to try some in my detox tea next time!
#12 Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp View Post

I buy my chocolate soy milk from Aldi's - their house brand - as good as Silk, and cheaper.

Good to know! Thanks.....we have two around here, and I never shop there

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#13 Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 PM
mlp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

Good to know! Thanks.....we have two around here, and I never shop there

You will be pleasantly surprised by their prices. All their house brands are good, except for the vegetarian chili, which is awful, IMO. Their little fruit gel cups (like little jello cups) are vegan, and several of their canned soups are also. I always keep some cans of their lentil soup on hand for when I want something quick and easy - it's very good, and I generally can't stand canned soup.
#14 Old 04-01-2011, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Silva bought me German made mint patties for our Christmas exchange,and I loved them, from there. Never made it out there to buy more, and they were vegan too.

#15 Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried some hazelnut milk in my coffee this morning. Yum!! I think that Soy milk is likely to be my go-to choice most days, but the hazelnut milk was pretty darn good.
#16 Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I've made gravy and milk based soups using almond milk and it heats up just fine.
#17 Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I buy my chocolate soy milk from Aldi's - their house brand - as good as Silk, and cheaper.

The one I lived near had nothing good.

I use sweetbay brand low-fat soy in everything.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#18 Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You will be pleasantly surprised by their prices. All their house brands are good, except for the vegetarian chili, which is awful, IMO. Their little fruit gel cups (like little jello cups) are vegan, and several of their canned soups are also. I always keep some cans of their lentil soup on hand for when I want something quick and easy - it's very good, and I generally can't stand canned soup.

I just got back from Aldi and now they have almond milk as well now! Vanilla and original. The package is VERY similar to Silk's. And I agree that their chili is AWFUL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

The one I lived near had nothing good.

Yeah they vary by location.

As for milks: I use almond milk and soy milks. Both heat up fine for me for hot chocolate or to use in tea/coffee. I prefer almond milks because of the "nutty" flavor but like flavored soymilks and seasonal flavors. I picked up a few cartons of Westsoy's Chocolate Peppermint Stick soymilk at Big Lots for $1/each and it's delicious heated up.
#19 Old 04-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I like almond milk. Whatever you do, don't use Silk soymilk. It is owned by Dean Foods, the largest dairy company in the U.S. They use factory farming techniques.

"If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
Jean-Paul Sartre
#20 Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Beginner

Rice Milk is pretty awesome!

I also like chocolate soy milk on days I want chocolate and almond milk is good but some don't like the taste.
#21 Old 04-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I like soy, rice, oat, nut milks but gotta admit havent ever had any of them hot so cant say which is best.....as for Aldi I am not the biggest fan of their stores they dont take coupons and i can usually shop better elsewhere that being said my parents shop there and have bought me many veggie/vegan goodies from there... the soymilk which is okay in a pinch....and the ricemilk which is okay in a pinch....a few of the vegan rice bowls which were really good and some vegan chocolates and they had amys meals a bit back....I didnt like the lasagna but the mexican enchiladas one was good and a great price when they were clearence blowing them out.....they also had amys pizzas on clearence for $2.00 and my parents bought me the last five they had...they also have their own brand of rotel which is yummy and I used alot in soups and stews and mexican dishes that I stocked up....and sometimes their veggies are a great price and on sale.

Peace

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#22 Old 04-01-2011, 08:36 PM

Chocolate oat milk!!!!

Neutrality means that you don't really care
Cause the struggle goes on even when you're not there
Blind and unaware~
#23 Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 AM

If you're going to have oat milk (Oatley brand), you may want to make sure it's not fortified with vitamin D3. Apparently D3 contains some animal bits. The ones not fortified are, I think, OK to have.

18 months I drank it without realising!

Make your vegan food taste even better by making your own additive and preservative free Homemade Herbs and Spice Blends --

www.BespokeSpices.com
#24 Old 04-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

For pure taste, I prefer almond milk, but I use vanilla soymilk instead most of the time because it has more protein. Soymilk is a funny thing. I didn't like it at all the first time I tried it, and grew to love it over time. I've also found the brand name matters. I like Silk.
#25 Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 PM

My favorite is Silk soy milk, vanilla flavored. I sometimes use non-sweetened for savory recipes, like a creamy soup. It doesn't tend to curdle when heated. Just when I add it to coffee, make sure to pour soy milk into coffee, and not coffee into soy milk. It makes a difference, because the soy will curdle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page