Help so I don't starve!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

For the next 28+ days I have to do a detox. I'm looking for any of your favorite recipes that I can eat while I'm doing it because I'm always hungry! Here's an overview of the guidelines...

-All fruits except oranges (in any form)

-All vegetables except corn (in any form)

- Starches...

CAN HAVE: Rice, oats, millet, quinoa, amaranth, teff, tapioca, buckwheat, and potatoes
CAN'T HAVE: Wheat, corn, barley, spelt, kamut, rye, or barley

-Legumes...
CAN HAVE: All legumes including pea and lentils (except soybeans)
CAN'T HAVE: Tofu, tempeh, soybeans, soy milk or any other soy products

-Nuts...
CAN HAVE: Almonds, cashews, walnuts, sesame (tahini), sunflower, pumpkin: nut butters (expect peanut)
CAN'T HAVE: Peanuts, peanut butter

-Dairy/Milk Alternatives...
CAN HAVE: Rice milk, almond milk, oat milk, coconut milk, egg substitues
CAN'T HAVE: Soy milk

-Fats...
CAN HAVE: Cold-pressed olive, flaxseed, canola, safflower, sunflower, sesame, walnut, pumpkin, or almond
CAN'T HAVE: Processed and Hydrogenated oils

-Beverages...
CAN HAVE: Distilled water, decaffeinated herbal tea, seltzer or mineral water
CAN'T HAVE: Soda pop or soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, coffee, tea, other caffeinated beverages

-Spices and Condiments...
CAN HAVE: Vinegar and all spices
CAN'T HAVE: Ketchup, relish, soy sauce, etc

-Sweeteners...
CAN HAVE: Brown rice syrup, fruit sweeteners, black strap molasses, stevia
CAN'T HAVE: White or brown refined sugar, maple syrup, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup

So there it is!!

I'm also vegan so please no recipes with animal products
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Why do you have to detox, if you don't mind me asking?

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 03-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I shouldn't say it like that. I'm just not to thrilled since it wasn't that long ago that I did one. Long story shortish...the drinking water from my hometown has high levels of metals in it. The levels are still in an "acceptable" range even though a well recently failed a lead test. On top of it the elementary school that my mom taught at while pregnant with me and that I attended for 6 years has issues with the piping which in turn affected the drinking water. These things have been discovered recently by ...I'll just say a very well known clinic... since there were so many people coming from my town with cancers. I'm currently doing a treatment with a more holistic doctor since my main symptoms are weakness, fatigue, muscle pain, stomach issues, head aches, and the like. (I don't have cancer and since this was caught early enough my risks shouldn't have been increased) After doing some testing he came to the conclusion that my body is reacting to almost all foods because of some major issues with my stomach most likely caused by the high levels of metals I've been exposed to. The detox is also assisted by UltraInflam to try to help repair my stomach. None of the findings are conclusive so don't quote me on anything. Everything is still being looked into and I'm hoping something will be done. Anyway, the detox will help cleanse my body and also assist in repairing my stomach. I'm not quite sure what comes next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

sorry, but there is no medical validity to detoxes, which if you eat the right foods, your body will take care of itself. At least your list of foods you can have is substantial, so I wouldn't even call it a detox. I think fluid or greens only. Frankly, there is a lot you can do with your list of foods you can have. You'll probably feel much better if you eat a variety of what's on your list. Drink lots of green tea, it's very good for you.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#5 Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

This detox may not be a medical miracle...but this made a huge difference for my brother. I'm not really looking to debate on the validity of detoxes but more for people's favorite recipes...
#6 Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Veggie Regular

What do you normally eat? Thee are heaps of food options on that list, so what are you most worried about?
#7 Old 03-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Banned

lots of options, what kind of food do you like?

heres a rundown of what came to mind when I read your list: fruit salad, soups (black bean, split pea, lentil, potato), stir fry, curries, flavored rice, falafel salad, veggie burgers, chickpea salad, sushi....and much much more
#8 Old 03-25-2011, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Please go to a regular doctor, not a holistic one. Those symptoms you have could potentially be a marker of something serious that neads treating medically. If you must do this 'detox' (I agree with photojess, they don't have any medicinal effect and only serve to deprive your body - 'detoxing' is why we have a liver), make sure you don't limit your diet and deprive your body of something it needs.

ÂMay all beings everywhere plagued with sufferings of body and mind quickly be freed from their pain. May those frightened cease to be afraid, and may those bound be free. May the powerless find power, and may people befriend all life. May those of all species who find themselves lost, the young,...
#9 Old 03-25-2011, 07:11 AM

Did you get the list of what you can have from the holistic doctor? Is there a reason behind the things you're not supposed to have? I'm thinking specifically, why not the peanuts, corn, soy & stuff like that? Is it because they're common allergens? I just ask because I want to do some kind of detox myself...or eat the healthiest things anyway.
#10 Old 03-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I wasn't trying to debate, but like I said, you have a huge variety of what you can eat, so I wouldn't really call it a detox, but Rashelle, I think a lot of the things on that list are what you said, frequent cause of allegies, so if eliminated, a person might know food issues might stem around something being avoided.

Ok, so can you use canned tomatoes, like fire roasted diced? They add lots of flavor, but do have added sodium added, or do all of the foods have to be eaten as is without any additional processed foods added?

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

#11 Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstarteManeo View Post

Please go to a regular doctor, not a holistic one. Those symptoms you have could potentially be a marker of something serious that neads treating medically. If you must do this 'detox' (I agree with photojess, they don't have any medicinal effect and only serve to deprive your body - 'detoxing' is why we have a liver), make sure you don't limit your diet and deprive your body of something it needs.

I have already seen many many doctors, run tons of test and everything that should look concerning to them come back normal. I had a very comprehensive blood test not very long ago and they said if anything my results were excellent. Like I said, I'm not here to debate detoxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

lots of options, what kind of food do you like?

heres a rundown of what came to mind when I read your list: fruit salad, soups (black bean, split pea, lentil, potato), stir fry, curries, flavored rice, falafel salad, veggie burgers, chickpea salad, sushi....and much much more

I have tons of great soup recipes and I've actually made a version of all the soups listed except a potatoe soup. What would you suggest using for spices for stiry fry...I've been eating some of that but haven't quite found a good spice combination. I can't have any flavored rice. Do you have any favorite curry recipes? What about falafel salad recipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashelle View Post

Did you get the list of what you can have from the holistic doctor? Is there a reason behind the things you're not supposed to have? I'm thinking specifically, why not the peanuts, corn, soy & stuff like that? Is it because they're common allergens? I just ask because I want to do some kind of detox myself...or eat the healthiest things anyway.

I listed what I can/can't have above. The main reason is because of allergies. They call this is detox because I think it's the easiest way to describe it. It is just eating really really heathly, and I'm getting help from a "medical food" powder to help my body repair as I go along as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

I wasn't trying to debate, but like I said, you have a huge variety of what you can eat, so I wouldn't really call it a detox, but Rashelle, I think a lot of the things on that list are what you said, frequent cause of allegies, so if eliminated, a person might know food issues might stem around something being avoided.

Ok, so can you use canned tomatoes, like fire roasted diced? They add lots of flavor, but do have added sodium added, or do all of the foods have to be eaten as is without any additional processed foods added?

I can't have anything with added sodium, flavoring, or anything like that.
#12 Old 03-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.officialsynapse.com/clinic.asp

If anyone is interested in looking into where I'm going this is it and is a brief overview. I feel very comfortable with my decision and I know I'm in very good hands.
#13 Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemyarchnug View Post

I have tons of great soup recipes and I've actually made a version of all the soups listed except a potatoe soup. What would you suggest using for spices for stiry fry...I've been eating some of that but haven't quite found a good spice combination. I can't have any flavored rice. Do you have any favorite curry recipes? What about falafel salad recipe?

Why can't you have flavored rice, rice is on the 'can have' list? (by flavored rice i mean like biriyani, coconut, tomato etc...) For breakfast I sometimes have coconut rice with cinnamon and mangoes, it is amazing and really easy to make.

For potato/leek soup start off with leeks and garlic sauteed in little oil, add broth and potatoes (chopped) (also works with carrots and celery added), season with bay and thyme. Let cook until potatoes are tender. Its good like this, but I like to blend about 3/4 of it for a nice creamy soup.

Spices for stir fry: garlic/ginger/pepper, or ginger/lemongrass/chili, or chili/garlic (a lot of garlic), or citrus/ginger

If you can find jarred or canned curry pastes curry is easy. If not you can blend your own spices for curry, lots of curry spice blends to try making. It's pretty straightforward, choose 2-3 veggies, cook them in the curry paste or curry spices, add 1-2 cans coconut milk and let simmer. Serve with rice or noodles

Traditional falafel is just garbanzo beans (or fava) herbs and spices (I have a recipe but its kinda long, ill message you it if you want). I read here on vb that Trader Joes has frozen falafel now, Im not sure of the ingredients (like if they have wheat) but it may be easy just to find some prepared falafel and toss it on top of a salad. I usually eat my leftover falafel like this or when we run out of pita. Its good in a salad with cucumbers and tomatoes, with a tahini/lemon dressing (just blend tahini paste, lemon juice and water)
#14 Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

loveyourmother, I think they mean they can't have prepackaged flavored rices that have tons of salt added, like Uncle Bens or some of the other ones. Sounds like the OP needs to do all of the cooking/adding spices themselves.

#15 Old 03-26-2011, 03:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

loveyourmother, I think they mean they can't have prepackaged flavored rices that have tons of salt added, like Uncle Bens or some of the other ones. Sounds like the OP needs to do all of the cooking/adding spices themselves.

I see, I never eat those (too expensive!) so I didn't even think of that
#16 Old 03-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

luvourmother: Thanks for the ideas! like Photojess said I just have to stay away from prepackaged rices, I should be okay with those other rices maybe I'll just call and check to make sure!
#17 Old 03-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

1 cup quinoa with 2 cups liquid (veggie broth/stock works great). Put the broth in a pot and heat to boil. You can add seasons like herbs and stuff. Once boiling add the quiona and bring back to a boil then simmer for about 8 or so minutes. Once done simmering take off the heat and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

That's a simply quinoa recipe. You can use it as a base. Put it on the bottom of the plate and put other things (like greens) on top.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#18 Old 03-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

1 cup quinoa with 2 cups liquid (veggie broth/stock works great). Put the broth in a pot and heat to boil. You can add seasons like herbs and stuff. Once boiling add the quiona and bring back to a boil then simmer for about 8 or so minutes. Once done simmering take off the heat and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

That's a simply quinoa recipe. You can use it as a base. Put it on the bottom of the plate and put other things (like greens) on top.

broths and stocks though are very high in sodium too, unless you make your own. I'd say, just start throwing some things together, and season to your heart's content with your approved lists!

#19 Old 03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

No matter what you do you will get some sodium in your foods. I wish you the best and your list is a start and I agree with the green tea that photo Jess said. If a food makes you sick then don't buy it or make it again.
#20 Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the ideas! I've been eating a lot of soups and tonight I made some rice pasta and made a tomato sauce to go with it. I also made some really good oat muffins! I'm feeling really good. As of right now I'm gluten intolerant....although two different doctors think it might get better when some other underlying issues get taken care of. I really hope so because I LOVE my bread. I was actually really impressed with rice pasta, I almost think I like it better then normal pasta. Being vegan can be hard enough without other allergies.
#21 Old 03-27-2011, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know if you can have it but, my husband and I used to get barley bread , we should start getting that and make it home. It didn't cause any problems with us. I also like oatbread if you can have oats I would check into that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page