Recipe help please? Subbing brown sugar for sugar? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

So I was a bit crazed about making brownies and got started... only to realize that I need 1/2 cup more sugar than I have!

The recipe calls for 1 c. brown sugar and 1 c. sugar. I've already started mixing things, so I can't just halve the recipe at this point. Will using 1/2 c. brown sugar in place of the regular sugar make for bad brownies (essentially 1 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1/2 c. sugar)? Or is there something else I can sub in place of the regular sugar without having to alter liquid ratios?

Argh! I don't want to go to the store just for sugar!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, I think it will make them lovely!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 02-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Veggie Regular

i went ahead and threw it in. the recipe called for an 11x7 pan... but i just put it in an 8x8 pan and saved the extra batter to eat in case the brownies are blah. gotta love vegan baking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I did this the other day with cupcakes. I was making 2 batches - chocolate and banana. I somehow ended up with not much normal flour (only wholemeal) and not much white sugar (only brown). With the chocolate ones I made them wholemeal with brown sugar, with the banana ones i used as much white sugar and flour as I had. I figured chocolate would hide the fail more. They were both lovely.

so yeah, I wouldnt worry about it. Let us know how they go!
#5 Old 03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

This happened to me, had to use more brown sugar than sugar and they came out fine. Hope yours are tasty as well.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#6 Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

how did the brownies turn out? I have subbed brown for white in richer baking (chocolate chip cookies, brownies, etc) and it worked great! I use 3/4 a cup of brown in place of white with 1/4 cup of apple sauce. Makes things yummy moist

May you be held in compassion.
May your pain and sorrow be eased.
May you be at peace.

My Blog: www.allie4animals.wix.com/veganliving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page