• 1 Post By lucky_charm
  • 1 Post By Identity_thief
  • 1 Post By Kjesta
  • 1 Post By Ira
  • 1 Post By Skylark
  • 1 Post By KrisMTL

#1 Old 02-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all. I've got a question, and I'm not sure how to answer. My niece's half sister has moved here from California, and she is vegan. I'd like to make a vegan meal, without putting her or anyone else on the spot. Do I say something like, "Enjoy your vegan meal?" to everyone, or do I keep my mouth shut except around her? "Tonight's meal is vegan, you can have entree/veggie/bread/starch/salad/dessert." We had a semi vegan meal (pasta with tomato sauce, vegan sausages (and meat sausages, too), salad, veggies, vegan garlic bread, and a vegan chocolate cake. I also invested in a tub of Earth Balance, since I do a lot of baking, and don't want her feeling left out. Am I handling this well, just telling her, "The bread/cake/tomato sauce/pasta is vegan, and I'm not sure about anything else." and keeping my mouth shut around everyone else, or should I tell everyone? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I would let her know privately before the meal, asap. I would tell the other guests after the meal.
#3 Old 02-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicioso View Post

I would let her know privately before the meal, asap. I would tell the other guests after the meal.

Agreed! Wait for them to say how delicious it is then tell them
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

there's no reason to point out specifically that the food is vegan. i'm sure they'll figure it out or ask themselves once they see the vegan eating it.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 02-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I would make sure she knows which items are safe for a vegan to eat, and I would tell the others only after they have raved about how good the food is. I had not set out to make an all-vegan meal when I had people over last week, but it was all vegan. We got to talking about the food itself, and I realized that everything I had made was plant foods. I told them this, and they were not the slightest bit bothered. They know I am lacto-ovo, and they had been praising the food.
Purp likes this.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#6 Old 02-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, get in touch with her beforehand so she know she doesn't have to bring something and that she doesn't have to just eat salad. If other people are bringing stuff and you're not sure what's in it, you can just let her know that. It sounds like you have a delicious meal planned. It shouldn't be necessary to let everyone else know - except maybe the sausage, just so the meat eaters don't end up with vegan sausage when they might not want it.

I would be ecstatic of someone cooked a vegan meal like this for me! Way to go!
Purp likes this.
#7 Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

You are being so thoughtful!

I'm staying with a friend's family and they have been making us amazing vegan food. It really is so nice to have sensitive and thoughtful hosts!
Purp likes this.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, thanks, everyone. I'm trying to eat a healtier diet (believe me, my eating habits are borderline atrocious), and had success in that my 5 year old grand niece has an egg allergy. We found out my brother in law has a soy allergy, so I'm working around that, too. A vegan meal just seems to be another challenge to face, and I'm up to it. Plus, our local libraries have a lot of vegan cookbooks, which is nice.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#9 Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have meat and nonmeat sausages you're going to have to point it out in front of everyone or people won't know why there are two types.

I'd just skip putting the tortured animal ones on the menu though.
Purp likes this.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#10 Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I want you for my stepAunt
Purp likes this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#11 Old 02-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

what's wrong w/ a naturally vegan meal that u have to warn people? that's how food was meant to be. guess it only gets sticky if you are using products that would normally not be veg*n like fake meats.
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 02-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumy View Post

what's wrong w/ a naturally vegan meal that u have to warn people? that's how food was meant to be. guess it only gets sticky if you are using products that would normally not be veg*n like fake meats.

Not necessarily. Pasta can be made from eggs, soups might have chicken stock or milk in them etc so I prefer if someone specifically tells me 'it's vegan'.
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I would make sure to tell the vegan girl privatly before hand - otherwise she wont know what she can eat and might feel ebarrased and awkward, and might not eat some things she can! I wouldn't tell everyone, because people can be really judgmental about things, and it might put them off your food before you've tried it. It will probally come up at some point, but I wouldn't mention it untill people have eaten.
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

I would make sure to tell the vegan girl privatly before hand - otherwise she wont know what she can eat and might feel ebarrased and awkward, and might not eat some things she can! I wouldn't tell everyone, because people can be really judgmental about things, and it might put them off your food before you've tried it. It will probally come up at some point, but I wouldn't mention it untill people have eaten.

Exactly. I think this is the best way to handle the situation
Purp likes this.

▬|████|▬
This is a Nudelholz!
Take it und hau it on
the Kopp of a bekloppt Person
to give a better Gefühl!!
#15 Old 02-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Ira
Banned

I guess it depends on people that are coming. I would tell it at the table around the friends I know who don't think that vegan=gross, impossible to eat, for weirdos etc. etc. etc. But if you feel that someone may be judgmental about the food tell it to her in private
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 02-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumy View Post

Nothing, per se. It's that I'm also working around a soy allergy, as well. And some of our further flung family members might not appreciate vegan food, they way I do. Most of the family doesn't mind vegetarian, or vegan food, but there've been a couple of incidents that didn't sit well with people.

#17 Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post

Nothing, per se. It's that I'm also working around a soy allergy, as well. And some of our further flung family members might not appreciate vegan food, they way I do. Most of the family doesn't mind vegetarian, or vegan food, but there've been a couple of incidents that didn't sit well with people.

I almost never cook with soy, at least not more than trace amounts. Mock meats are a rare treat for me.
Purp likes this.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#18 Old 02-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

You're awesome Purp! You remind me of friend's parents I visited. They a huge batch of ribs for everyone, and when I found out I was vegan, instead of beign turned off or insulting me they felt sooooooo bad. Then his mom made me 3 jam sandwiches and a glass of OJ, LOL.
Purp likes this.
#19 Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

You're awesome Purp! You remind me of friend's parents I visited. They a huge batch of ribs for everyone, and when I found out I was vegan, instead of beign turned off or insulting me they felt sooooooo bad. Then his mom made me 3 jam sandwiches and a glass of OJ, LOL.

Thanks. I would've asked and made, at least, a side dish or something you could eat. It sounds a lot nicer then, "Vegan? Here's your carrot stick while the rest of us eat a big, hearty, filling meal." That's just me, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page