Hummus? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 PM

I generally do not like store-bought hummus, but I would really like to get into it more, especially for lunches and whatnot. What are my options? I've tried a roasted garlic hummus and absolutely detested it. I don't want to run out and spend a bunch of money, so I'm hoping to get some ideas before I spend my cash.

Thanks!

~*eyebright*~

"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty." ~ Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Make your own! Drain one 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, reserve the liquid. Add that to a blender or food processor with ~ 1/4 to 1/3 cup of tahini, juice of one lemon, 1-2 cloves of garlic, a drizzle of olive oil, and a dash of salt. Process/blend, adding the reserved liquid until it reaches the texture you're looking for.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#3 Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

Shop sales and use coupons, that's how I do it. My favorite hummus so far has been Sabra Pine Nut. I've tried others and they weren't all that great. You may be able to snag a small container for $2-3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Veggie Regular

sabra is amazing. I can't believe how smooth it is!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#5 Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

That's a big thing for me too, many brands aren't smooth. Smooth is good.
#6 Old 01-30-2011, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Sabra is good. I sometimes buy the little one serving cups of it that come with pretzels.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#7 Old 01-30-2011, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

If you ever make your own hummus, my recommendation is: do not just make a recipe that you see in a cookbook or a forum. Or, rather, you can take a recipe as a general starting point, but: only follow the recipe when determining the amount of chickpeas / garbanzo beans (and maybe garlic). After you have the chickpeas in a blender, gradually add whatever other ingredients you've picked out (such as tahini, lemon juice and spices), and taste the stuff all the time. For example, when I did the Veganomicon basic hummus recipe, I thought there was way too much tahini (it's possible I had a worse brand of tahini than ICM and HM have). And then I did a different recipe, and found there was way too much lemon juice. So what I should have done all along is add tahini and lemon juice only gradually since they have a very distinctive taste. What hummus you're going to like is so subjective that I think you need to find it out for yourself.

(sorry if OT)

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#8 Old 01-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually make my own hummus, but I love the Blue Moose brand roasted walnut and sundried tomato variety.

You can make hummus with pretty much any bean. I love black bean hummus and red lentil hummus.
#9 Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 AM

When I make hummus, I use Alton Brown's Turbo Hummus recipe. It substitutes tahini for peanut butter, which I prefer, but not everyone will.

Anything store-bought - I couldn't make a suggestion for, because it's not sold where I live.
#10 Old 01-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I would go with make your own. I think a lot of people have trouble with the texture of hummus, or how oily it is, both of which you can control when you make it yourself.

You might also want to try my Mock Tuna Salad recipe...

https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...ock-Tuna-Salad

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

^I add chopped celery and Old Bay seasoning to this.
I've also tweaked it with the veganaise, added bread crumbs, more Old Bay, and sauteed as patties.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#12 Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Give peas a chance

I've moved away from store-bought hummus to better control fat and sodium. My advice is to buy dry chickpeas in bulk and master the ability to cook them. Cooking beans is a very practical skill anyway. Then the hummus experiments won't be so expensive.

Tahini is good, but not necessary. The taste and quality of tahini can vary a lot by manufacturer. I stay away from Joyva and Maranatha brands which are in major chain stores, and instead buy from middle eastern food stores. Their tahini is always white, mild and very creamy, unlike those other brands.

Some people make hummus with chickpea flour instead of beans, which is a good way to make the hummus very smooth... if that is an issue.

Once I figured out a basic hummus recipe I could live with, I used that as a starting point to create flavored hummus. Fresh basil hummus, sun dried tomato hummus, spicy hummus, curry hummus, ...

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#13 Old 01-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Great Advice.
Hate to waste food. And you're right that the Tahini makes such a big difference.

Also I add Rene's 1/2 the fat Poppyseed Salad dressing. Smooth, quick and yummy. Plus sometimes I don't have other ingredients to add, so it's easy.
#14 Old 01-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

The best "store bought" hummus imo is from middle eastern restaurants/bakeries/stores. I love Tribe's hummus. I haven't tried Sabra's yet because I'm too addicted to Tribe and their different flavors. I've also tried Wild Garden and Atheno's hummus and thought they were both disgusting.
#15 Old 01-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Homemade hummus is definitely the way to go. Homemade pates are really good, as well.

"I think it's naive to pray for world peace if we're not going to change the form in which we live." Godfrey Reggio
#16 Old 01-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I love how smooth and creamy a local Lebanese's store made is, but if I make my own, I really like this roasted red pepper one from all recipes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spiced-...us/Detail.aspx

it also isn't overboard on the tahini paste

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#17 Old 01-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Ankle Biter

<<<--- I'm another fan of Sabra brand. I like the pine nut and the supremely spicy. Their hummus is better than what I make, and I make great hummus!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#18 Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've been thinking about making my own hummus and peanut butter each Sunday, so that I have those things on hand throughout the week. I'll give some of the recipes a try and let you all know what I think.

~*eyebright*~

"Our task must be to free ourselves . . . by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty." ~ Albert Einstein
#19 Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Veggie Regular

used to make my own hummus all the time but haven't in years. y'all are inspiring me to now, especially after seeing those recipes in that linked thread in the Vegan Pizza Day thread for HUMMUS pizza...which i can't wait to try!

carpe vegiem
#20 Old 01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

best store bought hummus ever is bobbi's. its super expensive though. sabra is my next favorite. don't buy tribe, its completely disappointing. its been said before but if you make your own hummus don't use canned chickpeas.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#21 Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzebed View Post

best store bought hummus ever is bobbi's. its super expensive though. sabra is my next favorite. don't buy tribe, its completely disappointing. its been said before but if you make your own hummus don't use canned chickpeas.

I looked up Bobbi's hummus and even on someone's blog that was praising Sabra, the guests were all posting how great Bobbi's is. Must be some good stuff. However, I can't find anything about where it is sold. I bet it's sold at Whole Foods, but there isn't one near me. Maybe I'll run in to it some day.
#22 Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I looked up Bobbi's hummus and even on someone's blog that was praising Sabra, the guests were all posting how great Bobbi's is. Must be some good stuff. However, I can't find anything about where it is sold. I bet it's sold at Whole Foods, but there isn't one near me. Maybe I'll run in to it some day.

yep, its really tasty. wholefoods is where i found it. i don't think i've seen it anywhere else either.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#23 Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Sabra Chipotle. I could bathe in it, it's soooo good!

Our Generation has had no Great war, no Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives.
#24 Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

If you ever make your own hummus, my recommendation is: do not just make a recipe that you see in a cookbook or a forum. Or, rather, you can take a recipe as a general starting point, but: only follow the recipe when determining the amount of chickpeas / garbanzo beans (and maybe garlic). After you have the chickpeas in a blender, gradually add whatever other ingredients you've picked out (such as tahini, lemon juice and spices), and taste the stuff all the time. For example, when I did the Veganomicon basic hummus recipe, I thought there was way too much tahini (it's possible I had a worse brand of tahini than ICM and HM have). And then I did a different recipe, and found there was way too much lemon juice. So what I should have done all along is add tahini and lemon juice only gradually since they have a very distinctive taste. What hummus you're going to like is so subjective that I think you need to find it out for yourself.

(sorry if OT)

LOL, I thought Veganomicon's recipe didn't have enough tahini . As you said, it's subjective on what we like. As for store-bought brands, there is a company called Joseph's that is the best store-bought I have had. I've only seen it in New England stores, but I make my own hummus, anyway. Better and cheaper than store-bought.
#25 Old 02-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTree15 View Post

As for store-bought brands, there is a company called Joseph's that is the best store-bought I have had. I've only seen it in New England stores, but I make my own hummus, anyway. Better and cheaper than store-bought.

Oh thanks for that info. I've seen that brand around but have always been hesitant to try it since I wasn't sure if it was good or not.
#26 Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Shop sales and use coupons, that's how I do it. My favorite hummus so far has been Sabra Pine Nut. I've tried others and they weren't all that great. You may be able to snag a small container for $2-3.

This is what I do....I made my own and it was good but not as good as my fave Sabra Roasted Red Pepper....they were on sale at my fave store this week for 2/$4.00 and in sundays paper there were dollar off coupons and I paid a buck each....perfect deal....always taste better with a sale & coupon combo.

peace, love and hippiness

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#27 Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

This is what I do....I made my own and it was good but not as good as my fave Sabra Roasted Red Pepper....they were on sale at my fave store this week for 2/$4.00 and in sundays paper there were dollar off coupons and I paid a buck each....perfect deal....always taste better with a sale & coupon combo.

peace, love and hippiness

I clipped that coupon too, can't wait to use it
#28 Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I clipped that coupon too, can't wait to use it

I know right....I get that way too....esp when its something I really like and am hoping it goes on sale....I am hippe that their are more veggie friendly coupons like the sabra one, almond milk, soy milk, Boca and MSF and Gardein products.

live, laugh, love and be hippie

LOud & PRoud Veggie-Tari-Jenn~~(KNOT)~~ Vegan and NEVER Will Be.
Be Cents-able...Use Coupons!!~~PEace, LOVe & Beautiful COLORFUL RAinbows!!
#29 Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

I know right....I get that way too....esp when its something I really like and am hoping it goes on sale....I am hippe that their are more veggie friendly coupons like the sabra one, almond milk, soy milk, Boca and MSF and Gardein products.

live, laugh, love and be hippie

I'm keeping an eye for a sale too. Silk coupons are awesome, I get those pretty frequently in my e-mail.
#30 Old 02-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

totally off topic, but dang! Our silk milk just went up again another $.28! Let me know if you get a coupon, or when we can get one too. I have Silk on my facebook, so can keep track I think that way.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page