VeggieBoards banner

Hummus?

5K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  sam alshebany 
#1 ·
I generally do not like store-bought hummus, but I would really like to get into it more, especially for lunches and whatnot. What are my options? I've tried a roasted garlic hummus and absolutely detested it. I don't want to run out and spend a bunch of money, so I'm hoping to get some ideas before I spend my cash.

Thanks!

#27 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

This is what I do....I made my own and it was good but not as good as my fave Sabra Roasted Red Pepper....they were on sale at my fave store this week for 2/$4.00 and in sundays paper there were dollar off coupons and I paid a buck each....perfect deal....always taste better with a sale & coupon combo.

peace, love and hippiness
I clipped that coupon too, can't wait to use it

#28 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I clipped that coupon too, can't wait to use it
I know right....I get that way too....esp when its something I really like and am hoping it goes on sale....I am hippe that their are more veggie friendly coupons like the sabra one, almond milk, soy milk, Boca and MSF and Gardein products.

live, laugh, love and be hippie

#29 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Heart Corey Haim!! View Post

I know right....I get that way too....esp when its something I really like and am hoping it goes on sale....I am hippe that their are more veggie friendly coupons like the sabra one, almond milk, soy milk, Boca and MSF and Gardein products.

live, laugh, love and be hippie
I'm keeping an eye for a sale too. Silk coupons are awesome, I get those pretty frequently in my e-mail.

#30 ·
totally off topic, but dang! Our silk milk just went up again another $.28! Let me know if you get a coupon, or when we can get one too. I have Silk on my facebook, so can keep track I think that way.

#34 ·
Just as a word of caution, a lot of the store bought hummus you'll find out there has a TON of oil in it, and therefore a very high ratio of calories from fat. I'm not one to make lots of things from scratch, so mixing my favorite store bought with something I've made up without all the oil tends to work better for me, as long as I don't thin out the flavor too much as well. Personally I have to go with roasted red pepper just about every time though, which has a lot of flavor to start with.

Anyone have suggestions as far as dried hummus goes? In bulk maybe, so it is less expensive? I'm looking for that as a backpacking food I could have sent to me in mail drops this summer.

#35 ·
wheee! broke my new food processor in by making hummus the other night. so quick and easy.
the longest part is soaking them overnight and then cooking them for 1 1/2 hours.
blended garlic and cilantro first, then added the beans, tahini, splashes of olive oil and sesame oil and bean water, some veggie salt, cumin, a teench of cayenne and a squirt of lemon.
thanks all for the inspiration!

#36 ·
I finally got to try Sabra today for lunch and it is reaaaally good with wheat crackers. I think the problem with hummus before (other than the nasty taste
) was the fact that I wasn't really used to the texture. So, I paired it with something full of texture and flavor and yummy!

I bought the spinach and articoke flavor, but I think next time I will try the pine nut!

Thanks so much for all of your help.

#39 ·
I have made hummus and it was good...I am no cook by any means....I perfer buying sabra roasted red pepper w/a coupon of course...lol...cause its sooo much better......I recently tried athenos hummus cause a friend bought them for me and I didnt care for it....do you guys like it?

peace, love and imagination

#41 ·
The last time we were back in the US I tried to buy some hummus in a supermarket and it had HFCS in it. what's that all about??

I tend to make mine these days with sun dried tomatoes soaked in water and use the soaking water as the liquid giving it that extra tomato flavour. With basil and oregano and a bit of nutritional yeast--like pizza flavoured hummus.

#43 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

NOO!! A friend of mine gave me a container of it also because she bought it and hated it. I tried and thought the same thing. It has an odd taste to it.
hey there,

exactly....I said it tasted like caulk.....not that I have ever eaten that.....but the smell and texture was the same as what I was cauking my bathtub last year........I am sooooooo baddd.....I know!!....but its what I imagine it would taste like....lol

peACE

#44 ·
I'm eventually going to make my own, but I'm not quite there yet.

#47 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam alshebany View Post

guys are those ingredients vegan? the ingredients are 100% pure sesame (peeled roasted and ground sesame seeds)
Well, it says it's 100% sesame seeds. You should be able to figure this out, if it's 100% sesame seeds that means only sesame seeds, no animal products.

Reactions: sam alshebany
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.