makin' the snickerdoodles now...little trouble. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, the earth balance wouldn't cream with the sugar (I used a stick) so I added a little water...then it creamed halfway.

Kept going...after everything was mixed the dough was dry, so I added quite a bit of water. Should it be like normal cookie dough or dryer?

After adding water, dough seems just fine. Cookies seem big though.

How many should it make? Kids are finishing up and it looks like we will have eleven. Is that even in the ballpark?

Anyway, I just put our giant cookies in the oven. No matter what, my 7 & 10 are cookie hounds and they will eat them for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi! I've used Mrs. Sigg's Snickerdoodles (veganized version, posted somewhere on VeggieBoards) and Kreeli's posted version. Both of them are really yummy, and I get about 30-36 cookies, depending on how big I make them. My dough is like normal roll out cookie consisitency, not dry, and not wet. I can get the dough to shape into balls without it sticking to my hands or cracking. Hope you enjoy the snickerdoodles once they're done baking!

Edited to add: Would you post or link the recipe you used? I'm always on the look out for a good cookie, especially with Valentine's rapidly approaching.
#3 Old 02-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

i've never used earth balance sticks... are they really that different in formulation from the tub variety?

i've never had to add water to the dough, either.

i hope they taste okay! i find if you add liquid to the dough after mixing the flour into the margarine/sugar mixture they come out more like a pastry than a cookie (ie. somewhat doughy in texture and taste).

good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

i've never used earth balance sticks... are they really that different in formulation from the tub variety?

No as far as I know, the sticks and the tub versions are identical. In my area, the amount (2 c.) and the price are identical as well, so I use the sticks for the convenience factor when baking. Hope that helps.
#5 Old 02-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

The margarine I have doesn't cream that well by itself either, I usually add a little soymilk and then it works fine. The dough is not dry though. Mine usually makes about 24 quite big cookies.
#6 Old 02-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, well I just ate one. Pretty good...but, probably not as good as it should be.

I have never had any other snickerdoodle though, so I have nothing to compare it to.

However, 7 year old just said, "I'm in heaven. Did you hear me? I said I was in heaven!" The boy has a special relationship with desserts.

The earth balance sticks are very different imo. They just don't taste as good to me and they are firmer. I just gave my kids a blind taste test (melted both kinds) and they both liked the tub margarine better. Yet, the ingredients seem the same. Strange!
#7 Old 02-11-2004, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

The Earth Balance sticks aren't vegan. They contain whey. I don't know why, but they do.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 02-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

"The Earth Balance sticks aren't vegan. They contain whey. I don't know why, but they do."

Not anymore, but they aren't as good imo.

ingred. expeller -pressed natural oil blend (soybean, palm fruit, canola seed and olive oils), filtered water, pure salt, natural flavor (derived from corn, no MSG, no alcohol, no gluten), soy protein, soy lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy, derived from sugar beets), colored with beta-carotene from natural sources.
#9 Old 02-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

The Earth Balance sticks aren't vegan. They contain whey. I don't know why, but they do.

They're vegan. EB sticks *used* to contain whey, but they changed the formula a couple months ago. I even posted a thread in the product reviews area a while ago.

Edited: mushroom beat me on the post. She must've posted as I was typing. LOL.
#10 Old 02-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

How odd... I read a box of EB sticks just this week at the HFS and they contained whey...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page