Simple, easy vegan recipes for the useless cook - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-10-2004, 08:09 AM

When I was just a vegetarian, i used to just eat mostly convenience vegetarian foods such as veggie burgers etc but since becoming vegan that has become more difficult as alot of them are not vegan and I have had to try and cook stuff from scratch. Only problem is is that I cannot cook. Period. My cooking ability extends to mashed potato and cooking pasta.

Does anybody have any really, really simple vegan recipes I could try. Ones that have been tried and tested would be good. Also I cook for myself as I am the only vegan in my household so I really need recipes that only serve one or two servings or recipes that could easily be scaled down.

Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I feel your pain- the transition from vegetarian to vegan can sometimes be harder than the transition from meat eater to non-meat eater. Since pasta is your strongpoint here's one you may want to try-

Cook some spaghetti in water that has a little salt and oil in it.

In the meantime, sautee onion, garlic, red and green pepper, whatever veggies you like. Add some TVP and a little water so thetvp can be "reconstituted". Add spaghetti sauce, just enugh for how much spaghetti you cooked. Drain spaghetti andadd to the pot of sauce and veggies. Et voila! you can add cooked beans or whatever if you want too.

Bean burritos and nachos with cooked beans are like the easiest thing in the world-

For the burrito just get the tortilla heat it in a frying pan on both sides- and fill with shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, refried beans (make sure they r vegan), blak beans, pinto beans- whatever you ike really. With nchos the same thing applies- the beans give a lot of protein, tons of fiber, and they taste wonderful.
#3 Old 02-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got to stop posting this same recipe, lol. But my #1 convience food is peanut pasta: Cook bag of (checked-to-be-vegan) ramen noodles. Add the seasoning packet, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and some powdered hot pepper. Stir vigorously. Easy, fast, yummy, filling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

This is a fairly easy fried rice dish(I think!). It serves 4(or 2 pinkpunch size servings ) but I usually just make 1/3 or 1/2 recipe and it works out fine.

2 T oil

2 onions

2 gloves garlic

250g mushrooms(approx 1/2 pound)

3 cups frozen veggies, thawed(I just use corn, pea and carrot mix)

3 cups cold cooked rice

2 T soy sauce

2 T ketchup

1 t paprika

1/2 t salt

dash of chilli powder.

Mix soy sauce, ketchup, paprika, salt and chilli powder in cup or small bowl and set aside.

Heat frying pan, when hot add oil, when oil is hot add onion and mushroom and cook a few minutes.

Add veggies and toss on high heat.

Add rice and keep cooking for a few minutes.

Add sauce mixture and toss on a high heat for a few minutes then serve.
#5 Old 02-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

One easy thing I like to do - sautee some sliced up zucchini and squash in olive oil with your favourite spices (I like garlic salt - Ms. Dash, or whatever, would work, too). This becomes versatile - you can serve it over pasta (expecially couscous, with some garbanzo beans tossed in) - or as a simple side dish. The flavors are just so sweet and yummy, and it's so easy to do.
#6 Old 02-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

chili is relatively easy

i also loves pesto make a batch then freeze for quick pasta sauce
#7 Old 02-11-2004, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I make soup in the ole crock pot. I just throw in whatever beans are handy, either diced tomatos, I like either italian or mexican style, adds a lil flavor, some veggie broth, and whatever veggies I have on hand. I then to mix part broth and part water. Simple enough. I guess you could do the same if you have just a sauce pan and low heat.
#8 Old 02-11-2004, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

hummus.... two cans of chick peas one small can of sliced olives, and one can of green chilies. put in a food processor and blend. Add a lil olive oil and tahini paste for texture. Make sure you drain the beans, and olives before adding in the processor.
#9 Old 02-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

stir fry is easy. I own a huge tuperware container of rice. heh.

I am a horrible cook, so for my stir fry, i buy a chunk of tofu, and go to the oriental dept, and get the stir fry veggies in a can. heh. throw the tofu and canned veggies in a pan w/ a small bit of peanut oil, and douse them with terriaki sauce.

woohoo.

But my freezer is FILLED with amys' stuff. from shepards pie to non dairy chicken pot pies. and the fake chicken nuggets (only one kind is vegan, morningstar and boca are not, so be careful) are awesome when nuked and dipped in soy ranch.

ohh and vegan tacos/burritos are fun w/ meat crumbles and salsa and vegan gourmet shreds. those take like 5 minutes to make (and that is just heating up the crumbles)
#10 Old 02-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I second chili, because everything is canned and I can open the lids and throw it all together and cook and it doesn't matter if it's too hot or if I cook it too long and no measuring spoons are required and no chopping of anything. Likewise some caseroles are the same way. If I have to break out a measuring spoon or knife forget it, it's too much work. If you're interested I can throw up my easy chili and caserole recipes sometime.
#11 Old 02-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

This is sinfully easy:

1.Start cooking your pasta

2. with a few mins to go (check packets regarding veg cooking time though) add some green frozen veg. I like peas, broad beans etc.

3...drain, add a little olive oil and stir. Add veg*n parmesan if you want.

4. Stuff in mouth and go "mmmmmmmmmmmm"

You can add extra stuff like basil, or garlic. Or, occaisionally I get frozen peas with mint. Thats really nice.

It's fast and it really does taste nice
#12 Old 02-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

This doesn't get any easier:

Roasted vegetables

Cut vegetables of choice (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash, potatoes) into big ol' chunks. Add a can of beans or tofu cubes if you wanna. Dump them all in foil lined roasting pan (or a 9X13 or 8X8 or whatever size baking pan you've got enough veggies for). Put in just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top of the veggies, and season with whatever you feel like seasoning them with (or don't...). Bake them uncovered ina 450 degree oven for 30-45 minutes depending on how big and what sort of veggies. Stir 'em about a couple times during baking. Poke a few bigger chunks with a fork at the 30 and 45 min mark to see if they're tender enough to eat.

So now you've got a vat of roasted veggies.

Serve them over rice or couscous, mix in a can of crushed tomatoes and toss with pasta, stick 'em in a pita, apply to premade pizza crust with sauce, dump some in some broth with udon noodles and have soup. You could eat for a week off of a good vat of roasted veggies.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 02-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

pizza perogies. omg.

ok so i eat a lot of perogies. i buy a big bag of generic brand frozen potato and onion flavour perogies (check for no cheese)

boil them with a splash of oil in the water for a couple minutes, just til they start to float to the top of the water.

meanwhile heat up a bit of oil in a frying pan. toss in some chopped onion and mushroom, and green or red bell peppers if you have them. and a veggie burger patty or some veggie ground (i use a frozen veggie burger patty and just break it up into small chunks as it cooks)

toss in a bit of minced garlic if you have it, or else just some garlic powder. oregano and basil work well too. toss the boiled perogies in the pan with the veggies and seasonings. when they start to brown up a bit toss in about 2 tablespoons of a spicy tomato sauce. you can buy a big jar of chili and tomato sauce, or use pizza sauce, or i've even used ketchup and a bit of tobasco.

mix it all up so it's all coated and then you're done. it's quick and easy and very good. it's my fallback meal cause this is always stuff i have in my house and i don't mind making it even if i'm tired/lazy.

i also make a lot of meals with canned potatoes. you can get whole, sliced or diced. they're good fried, or i'll use the whole ones with lots of garlic, onion and mushroom and a bit the water from the can, and cook on medium with the lid on, flip them over now and then. they taste like roasted potatoes. goes good with anything. i'll usually just have them with a couple of veggies.

i really like glazed carrots. i've simplified my mom's recipe, i'll cook baby carrots (right from the bag) in a pot of water on medium-high until you can stick a fork in them easily but not too easily. turn off the heat, drain the water. then spoon in some vegan margarine and some brown sugar, and just stir until the margarine and sugar melts and coats the carrots. so good! goes good with squash. i cheat and buy frozen diced butternut squash (like $2.50 for a huge bag that lasts forever). you just heat in a bit of water over the stove, drain the water, mash with a fork and add margarine and brown sugar.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#14 Old 02-11-2004, 09:10 PM

do you have 'How it all vegan' and 'Garden of Vegan' because these two books are full of simple delicious recipes! These books rock for beginners.
#15 Old 02-14-2004, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the great ideas. I don't have those books ,LittleHottie, but I might check them out if they have simple recipes in them.
#16 Old 02-15-2004, 09:13 AM

I love stir fries also.

Get some firm tofu and cube it (I usually just do this for one, BTW)

get your skillet hot and stir fry some frozen veggies in a little oil or cooking spray

When crisp tender remove and place the tofu in the skillet, sprayed again (or use a little oil) and brown on each side

Place the veggies back in the skillet and pour in some (maybe 1 tsp each) soy sauce, rice wine veegar, rice wine, red chili sauce (the kind from the asian grocer) and sprinkle with some sesame seeds and drizzle with a bit of seasme oil. YUM!

Serve with leftover pasta, add this to the skillet at the last minute.

Hummus is easy and yummy.

Oh, quesadillas

1 flour tortillla burrito size

vegan cheese, shredded or use cheeze sauce

vegan chicken strips, pre browned in skillet with a little oil

onions, chopped

spinach chopped

tomatoes, chopped

Place some of each ingredient on half of the tortilla, fold in half.

Place in hot skillet (ungreased) and brown on each side.

Cut into four slices and serve with tofu sour cream, guacamole, salsa.

Seven Layer Stuft Burrito

Precooked rice

tofu sour cream

vegan shredded cheese or sauce

guacamole

chopped tomatoes

prebrowned vegan chicken strips

refried beans

Layer your burrito and roll up. Place in heated skillet and brown on each side.

Serve with salsa, or taco sauce.

Chili is really easy to make and so is soup. Freeze extras for later.

I have a favorite recipes collection if you are interested.

Shannon
#17 Old 02-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's a great one from Conveniently Vegan that I have tweaked:

Mexican Noodle Casserole:

Serves 8

1 lb lasagna noodles

5 quarts water

Two 16 oz cans vegan refried beans

Two 16 oz jars salsa

Avocado slices

Mushrooms & olives to sprinkle on top

Cook lasanga nooldes in boiling water according to package directions.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375. In a 13"x9"x2" pan spread ingredients to form the following layers:

1/4 cooked noodles

1 can refried beans

1/4 cooked noodles

1 jar salsa

1/4 cooked noodles

1 can refriend beans

1/4 cooked noodles

1 jar salsa.

I top mine with sliced mushrooms and a jar of sliced black olives.

Bake layered casserole at 375 for 25 minutes or so.

Serve with avocado slices and/or vegan sour cream.

This is so easy and good. My entire family & neighbors love this dish.
#18 Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 AM
Beginner

ants on a log

ingredients:

celery

peanut butter

raisins

wash celery and cut into pieces 6 inches long or so. use a knife to spread the peanut butter into the cavity of the celery. stick raisins to peanut butter.
#19 Old 02-16-2004, 03:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan Baked Beans:

1 can Heinz's Vegetarian Baked Beans

1 pot

Pot pot on stove. Empty can of baked beans into pot. Pour on plate. Eat.

True, it's not a recipe but it can't really get easier and one can is about 99 cents, 79 on sale

Also something simple:

Seitan

1 1/3 c vital wheat gluten

1 c water

veggie broth

BIG pot with lid

Mix the vital wheat gluten and the water together. Knead for 5 min, shape into a ball, then let it sit for 5 min. While you're letitng it sit start some veggie broth on the stove, like 4 cups should do, even though if you want more it wouldn't be a bad idea. When 5 min is done cut the ball into strips, you should get about 6-7. Throw the strips into the pot. When it boils, turn the heat down and simmer for an hour. The strips tend to expand A LOT when they cook, so its best to use a big pot. They return to normal size though, so don't worry.
#20 Old 02-16-2004, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

i really like glazed carrots.

i do that! except i like to add cinnamon.

I like veggie fajitas. I use what i have on hand. The best was portbella mushrooms with red bell peppers, yellow onions, and green bell peppers. I add a wee bit of oil to a very hot pan, and add the veggies then add fajita seasoning and stir around until done. then plop it into a tortilla. mmmm....
#21 Old 02-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Beginner

for lunch almost every day at school i have a veggie wrap. the basics are a tortilla. i'll make hummus to last me a week and then some, and then i spread it on the tortilla. then i throw spinach at it. sometimes sliced red bell pepper if im wearing pajamas. (dont ask). then maybe some chickpeas or drained black beans or tempeh left over from dinner or maybe nothing else at all. i wrap it in a wax paper sheet and tape it shut so the beans dont fall out. the end.
#22 Old 02-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_syrup View Post

for lunch almost every day at school i have a veggie wrap. the basics are a tortilla. i'll make hummus to last me a week and then some, and then i spread it on the tortilla. then i throw spinach at it. sometimes sliced red bell pepper if im wearing pajamas. (dont ask). then maybe some chickpeas or drained black beans or tempeh left over from dinner or maybe nothing else at all. i wrap it in a wax paper sheet and tape it shut so the beans dont fall out. the end.

I don't know about you but when I cut up a red bell pepper, red juice goes everywhere. I can't count how many white shirts I've stained!! Is that why you do red pepper when you wear pjs??
#23 Old 02-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Anyone have a good hummus recipe that doesn't involve tahini? That could be useful!
#24 Old 02-16-2004, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Hummus without tahini

A can of chickeas (whatever size you want)

Garlic

Cumin

Tumeric

Salt

Pepper

Put everyhting in the food processor in amounts that look good to you. Blend. Taste. Add more of any ingredients if you want to.

Note: Tastes best with tons of garlic and cumin.

Buy minced garlic in a jar, it saves a lot of time and is great for lazy people like me.
#25 Old 02-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Squash in the microwave is my favorite vegan snack/quick meal

Simply poke a bunch of holes into an acorn squash with a sharp knife, place into the microwave on high heat for 10 minutes, allow to cool for a minute or two, remove from the microwave and chop it in half, remove the seeds with a spoon, and eat the remaining part of the squash! It's great if you spread some Earth Balance on it and sprinkle with a little garlic powder and salt. I eat this all the time- it's my convenience dorm food.
#26 Old 02-16-2004, 04:57 PM
Beginner

has anyone tried my recipe yet? it's really good.
#27 Old 02-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharityAJO View Post

One easy thing I like to do - sautee some sliced up zucchini and squash in olive oil with your favourite spices (I like garlic salt - Ms. Dash, or whatever, would work, too). This becomes versatile - you can serve it over pasta (expecially couscous, with some garbanzo beans tossed in) - or as a simple side dish. The flavors are just so sweet and yummy, and it's so easy to do.

Add chopped zucchini, lotsa garlic, a sprinkle of basil, and add THAT to your organic spaghetti sauce and it's also Mmmmmm!
#28 Old 02-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhumeToConsume View Post

has anyone tried my recipe yet? it's really good.

I would, except I hate celery. The texture and flavor just bother me. It would probably be good on carrot sticks though...
#29 Old 02-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been eating peanut butter and celery ever since I was a kid. I like to sprinkle some oatmeal flakes on top...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page