McDonald's adding oatmeal: Breakfast dish to be spiced up with fruit, more - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,3911369.story
Quote:
Forget your grandmother's lumpy, boring oatmeal.

Maple-flavored oatmeal jazzed up with diced red and green apples, a mix of raisins and cranberries and cream will be available at McDonald's 14,000 restaurants nationwide by the end of this week. The product, served in a small cardboard cup, will cost $1.99.

McDonald's Corp., which will back its rollout with a massive national advertising blitz starting Jan. 3, is the latest chain to jump on the oatmeal craze. But the move by the Oak Brook-based hamburger chain is expected to trigger a slew of imitators, experts say.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Sounds pretty good to me, I may stop and pick some up. $1.99 seems a tad steep, guess it depends on how much you get.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Sounds pretty good to me, I may stop and pick some up. $1.99 seems a tad steep, guess it depends on how much you get.

For oatmeal, yeah. The article says the cardboard cup it comes in is "small," so it may not be a lot. Funny how restaurants can sell "health food" as expensive prices and get away with it.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

How much is, say, an Egg McMuffin? People might compare prices and decide that the Egg McMuffin is a better deal, no matter how much "healthier" the oatmeal might be. After all, people who patronize McDonald's don't go there looking for healthy food.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I absolutely refuse to give any money at all to McDonald's until they put a veggie burger on their menu and/or at least make their fries edible!!
#6 Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I like when places like this add options, just in case I'm ever in a situation where it's that or nothing. Being on the road for so long between moves made me go a few extra hours without eating meals for this reason. There would be a McDonalds, then 2 hours would pass with nothing. I had snacks on the road, but being late for meals messed up my schedule pretty bad.
#7 Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno if I'd feel right supporting McDees even to get some oatmeal.

#8 Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Was not aware of this so-called "oatmeal craze".....

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#9 Old 12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

Interesting idea to add oatmeal to their menu. I don't think I have seen oatmeal at ANY restaurant before.
#10 Old 12-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

This totally reminds me of this avatar that I have.

And I got ripped one another forum a while back for using it. Someone got really offended by it and called me out in some thread that I was posting in, that had nothing to do with anything about food or veganism or anything. They were offended because they think McDonalds has healthy options and they are sick of McDonalds getting a bad rap, etc. It was rather interesting.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 12-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

reminds me of a poem

Crack houses have
good prices

on vitamins
small and round.

-williams carlos williams

2 dollars is a bit much considering I just bought a 10 pack of quacker's instant oatmeal the other day for 2 dollars. But I guess it also shows how cheap we expect McDonald's food to be. Cereal or oatmeal in most restaurants would cost more than that. Also, I'll take it without the cream thank you very much.
#12 Old 12-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

How much is, say, an Egg McMuffin? People might compare prices and decide that the Egg McMuffin is a better deal, no matter how much "healthier" the oatmeal might be. After all, people who patronize McDonald's don't go there looking for healthy food.

Yeah I don't see many regular Mcd's customers forking over more money for the oatmeal when they could get something cheaper. It's cool that the option is there but I don't think it will really catch on.

Oatmeal with cinnamon, raisins and fruit is sometimes my fallback meal when I'm stuck going to meat obsessed breakfast diners.
#13 Old 12-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I only eat at fast food places when on a road trip. Its nice to have the option for times like that.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#14 Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

I only eat at fast food places when on a road trip. Its nice to have the option for times like that.

You could make instant oatmeal at a gas station with a big coffee mug, water, and a microwave. I've done it.
#15 Old 12-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Good point.

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
#16 Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

deleted

#17 Old 12-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Beginner

I never go to McDonald's, and I won't go because of this either. It's so much cheaper just heating water yourself and making some instant oatmeal at home.

Besides, who goes to McDonald's for breakfast?
#18 Old 12-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Banned

McDonald's in the UK has had porridge available in their breakfast menus for sometime now, however it doesn't have fruit mixed into it. They do have fruit available to buy though. It's really not that brilliant but has been rather helpful when travelling with my family as we know we can go to MaccyD's and get a breakfast similar to something that we would eat at home (compared to the McMuffins type things (for the meat-eaters) or the pancakes (for me) that used to be the main options.)
#19 Old 12-12-2010, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan414 View Post

I never go to McDonald's, and I won't go because of this either. It's so much cheaper just heating water yourself and making some instant oatmeal at home.

Besides, who goes to McDonald's for breakfast?

A lot of people actually. I've driven past there in the morning and the drive thru is always busy.
#20 Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

A lot of people actually. I've driven past there in the morning and the drive thru is always busy.

I pass by a McDonald's when I'm entering the highway on my morning commute and there is always a line snaking around the building at the drive-through. On the rare morning that I buy coffee instead of getting it at work, I go to 7-Eleven instead. You can actually get a decent cup of coffee there for about a buck. Maybe it's because my local 7-Eleven seems to be run entirely by Ethiopians and coffee is apparently a big deal in Ethiopia, but they make a darn good cup. And they're incredibly nice. I love the people at my local 7-Eleven.
#21 Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Beanitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

I dunno if I'd feel right supporting McDees even to get some oatmeal.

I wish McD et. al. would go out of business and be replaced with drive-through restaurants serving whole grains and salads.

Plus, how much do you want to bet theirs is loaded with sugar, fat, salt, and additives (even worse than Quaker Instant Oatcrap packets)?

Even if you don't have the time to microwave slow-cooked oats for 5 minutes, plain instant oats are a lot healthier than the junk with all the added stuff.

Beanitarian.
#22 Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

I wish McD et. al. would go out of business and be replaced with drive-through restaurants serving whole grains and salads.

Plus, how much do you want to bet theirs is loaded with sugar, fat, salt, and additives (even worse than Quaker Instant Oatcrap packets)?

Even if you don't have the time to microwave slow-cooked oats for 5 minutes, plain instant oats are a lot healthier than the junk with all the added stuff.

A lot of instant oatmeal is garbage but the Quaker Weight Control and Quaker High Fiber varieties are terrific. The Weight Control in particular has a lot of protein and 7g of fiber per packet; High Fiber has 10g of fiber per packet. And they aren't overly sweet.
#23 Old 12-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Ira
Banned

Iwouldn't go to McDonalds for that either. McDonalds is gross. Even as a meat eater I went there maybe once a year
#24 Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

Iwouldn't go to McDonalds for that either. McDonalds is gross. Even as a meat eater I went there maybe once a year

I remember going on an FFA trip my senior year of high school (03 or 04) and even then as a meat eater, I wouldn't eat there for breakfast. I waited in a long line for a hot chocolate and bagel at Starbucks instead.
#25 Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

Now that would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I remember going on an FFA trip my senior year of high school (03 or 04) and even then as a meat eater, I wouldn't eat there for breakfast. I waited in a long line for a hot chocolate and bagel at Starbucks instead.

I don't think I went there often for breakfast as an omni maybe on roadtrips or something. I will admit though that as an omni I didn't mind going there for a quick lunch or dinner. I enjoyed their cheeseburgers (minus the burger because even then I wasn't fond of beef), fries, shakes and apple pies. I liked how they had seasonal flavors for their milkshakes and those little diced onions on the crappy white bun were addicting. I wish I could get a vegan shamrock shake somewhere!
#26 Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I grew up on McDonalds so flavor wish, it actually reminds me of my childhood A few weeks back I bought a Wendy's kids meal, brought it home, and added a griller. It tasted a lot like McD's burger. I haven't been to McD's even once in 6 years.
#27 Old 12-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I grew up on McDonalds so flavor wish, it actually reminds me of my childhood A few weeks back I bought a Wendy's kids meal, brought it home, and added a griller. It tasted a lot like McD's burger. I haven't been to McD's even once in 6 years.

Just curious: What does a Wendy's kids meal consist of?

I haven't been inside a McDonald's in about 30 years. I'm quite proud of that record. I'm going for life. I don't want to ever be inside one for the rest of my life if I can avoid it.

#28 Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Check this out, it lets you see the options for the Kids meals: http://wendys.com/food/Family.jsp?family=9

I just love their fries. I heard they switched to the new ones with sea salt, not sure if every store has them now.
#29 Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't go to McDonald's for oatmeal (or anything else), but I do applaud them for at least adding options.

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#30 Old 12-12-2010, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Check this out, it lets you see the options for the Kids meals: http://wendys.com/food/Family.jsp?family=9

I just love their fries. I heard they switched to the new ones with sea salt, not sure if every store has them now.

*grunt* I can't open it. I'm using Firefox, and I keep getting an error message saying the server has timed out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page