Better than Boullion - sugar? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I just bought the "no chicken" variety, I am going to try to make no chicken noodle souple for the first course for thanksgiving (I have to compete with Grandma's famous homemade real chicken noodle soup that she's been making for 50 years that everyone else in the family will be eating while hubby and I will be eating my version). I noticed when I got home that it has sugar and corn syrup in it. I recently just threw away an entire bottle of store-bought italian dressing (it was Wishbone I think) because it had sugar as like the 3rd ingredient and tasted way too sweet, it was just awful. Now I'm worried the same thing will happen and I'll be on the hunt again for a good broth for my soup. Is this stuff any good?

www.sharksavers.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not bad, but if you want a good homemade noodle soup, you'd really do best making your own broth. It's not hard, and is totally worth it. Toss a couple of carrots, celery stalks, an onion, some garlic, a potato, a leek, a parsnip, some mushrooms, a few bay leaves, some peppercorns, some salt, and a handful of parsley in a large pot, cover in water and simmer for a few hours. It will taste infinitely better than reconstituted broth as soup base.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 11-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

It's not bad, but if you want a good homemade noodle soup, you'd really do best making your own broth. It's not hard, and is totally worth it. Toss a couple of carrots, celery stalks, an onion, some garlic, a potato, a leek, a parsnip, some mushrooms, a few bay leaves, some peppercorns, some salt, and a handful of parsley in a large pot, cover in water and simmer for a few hours. It will taste infinitely better than reconstituted broth as soup base.

Thanks rabid_child, I think I'm doing to do that next time. I did a trial run of the soup this evening and it wasn't bad but could have been a lot better.

www.sharksavers.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Nutritional yeast adds a chicken like flavor to soups, I find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page