Vegan cheese recipe - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I need a vegan cheese recipe that is some what simple to make, that actually taste good and can be used for multiple things. I'd like it mainly for pizza, so it really does have to melt. I've tried other soy cheeses and HATE the soy after taste so does my husband. TIA!!!

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

You'll most likely need to try several recipes and then experiment on your own. What tastes good to me may not taste good to you and visa versa.

This book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncheese-Coo.../dp/0913990426 has dozens and dozens of vegan cheese recipes using all different types of ingredients.

I've found that you need to use different types of vegan cheeses for different foods and use them sparingly. Don't pile on tonnes of vegan cheese on a pizza and expect it to taste like dariy cheese pizza, instead, make a cheeseless pizza and then grate just a bit of vegan cheese on top almost as a garnish or a condiment. That works best.

I make this vegan pizza with a non-soy vegan cheese sauce. You can do the same but use a pre-made crust if you're pressed for time.

Deep Dish Vegan Pizza

Crust
1 tbsp active dry yeast (for baking)
1 cup lukewarm water (105F to 115F)
1/2 - 1 tsp sweetener of your choice
1 tsp salt
3-4 cups whole wheat flour (or part unbleached white bread flour)
Method
Lightly oil one 14 inch deep-dish pizza pan or two 9 inch layer cake pans and set aside.
In a large bowl, soften the yeast in 1/4 cup of the lukewarm water and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sweetener, salt and remaining water. Gradually stir in the flour, beating vigorously until no more flour can be incorporated. Turn out onto a well-floured board and knead for 5-10 minutes, adding additional flour as necessary. Form into a ball and place in an oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat. Drape the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until doubled in size. When the dough is finished rising, punch down and knead lightly in the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a floured board. Roll into an 18 inch circle (to fit a 14 inch deep dish pizza), or divide the dough in half and roll each half into a 12 inch circle (for two 9 inch deep pizza pans). Place the dough into the pan and roll the edge over to form a finished rim. Fifteen minutes before baking, place a rack in the centre of the oven and preheat the oven to 425F. Prick the dough in several places with a fork and bake until very lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes, to set the gluten. Let cool 5 minutes before adding the sauce and remaining toppings and return to the oven for baking.

Spicy Vegetable Sauce
2 (16oz) cans or 1 (32oz) can unsalted plum tomatoes, drained
1 (6oz) can unsalted tomato paste
1 tbsp dried basil leaves
2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1-2 tsp sweetener of your choice
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice
1 small onion chopped
1 large clove garlic pressed
12 large mushrooms thinly sliced
2 medium carrots shredded
1 medium zucchini, julienned
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
Method
Place the tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, sweetener, red pepper flakes and salt in a blender and process or pulse very briefly, just until well combined but the tomatoes are still a bit chunky. Set aside. Heat the water and vinegar or lemon juice in a large skillet. Cook the onion an garlic until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook over medium high, stirring often until almost all of the moisture has evaporated (about 15 minutes). Add the carrots and zucchini and cook until just softened, about 5 minutes longer.
Stir in the sauce from the blender and the olives and heat over medium-low until just warmed through, stirring often. Set aside.

Herb Topping
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Method
Stir together the dried oregano and basil, the garlic granules and the black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.

Mostarella Cheeze Sauce
1 cup water
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
3 tbsp quick cooing rolled oats
1 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
1/8 tsp mustard powder
1 1/2 tsp onion granules
1/2 tsp salt
Method
Place all the ingredients in a blender and process until the oats are finely ground and the sauce is completely smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until very thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Cover and set aside.

To assemble the pizza spread the vegetable sauce over the cooled crust, leaving 1/2 inch rim of crust exposed. Sprinkle on the herb topping.
Spread the cheeze sauce mixture over the sauce and herb topping, distributing it as evenly as possible. Sprinkle on some soy parmesan if desired.
Bake for 25-30 minutes at 425F, or until the bottom of the crust is a deep golden brown. Let rest 10-15 minutes before slicing.
#3 Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

32 ingredients? Gimme a Pot Noodle instead.

There's nothing that is convincingly like cheese except... cheese. I've heard that Teese and Daiya are good, but I've also heard that they are nothing like cheese. I'm inclined to believe the latter, based on my experiences with other vegan cheeses that people said were nice. Nutritional yeast can give things a cheesy taste, maybe try sprinkling that over your pizza.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Beginner

I just recently got some Daiya and like it pretty good. I haven't tried it on anything extensive like pizza, but it doesn't have that soy taste.

~kathy
#5 Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

32 ingredients? Gimme a Pot Noodle instead.

There's nothing that is convincingly like cheese except... cheese. I've heard that Teese and Daiya are good, but I've also heard that they are nothing like cheese. I'm inclined to believe the latter, based on my experiences with other vegan cheeses that people said were nice. Nutritional yeast can give things a cheesy taste, maybe try sprinkling that over your pizza.

??

The 'cheese sauce' above is only 9 ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes. But hey if you prefer a heavily processed pot noodle full of god knows what chemicals then be my guest
#6 Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 AM

I've made pizzas with Cheezly melting types, and they've been pretty good.

I made a cheese pasty with it too, but when I came to eat it, the cheezly had melted away pretty much. Maybe I should try making a pasty with the non-melting kind. The mature cheddar cheezly works very well in macaroni cheezly.
For years I made dairy free macaroni cheese using yeast in the white sauce, which I got a bit tired of. It's not a patch on using cheezly....too much like dairy cheese sometimes, I worry that I've somehow used real cheese!

#7 Old 11-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

That cheese sauce recipe sounds good. I have had the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook since I first became a vegetarian in 1998-1999 but have never used it's recipes for cheese sauces. Maybe this is something worth looking into after all.

BTW, I recently tried Daiya and I like it but it does taste a little overly flavored...almost like putting extra spices on top of my pizza.
#8 Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 AM
Give peas a chance

Deep dish pizza is the way to go. The cheese goes on the bottom and the sauce on top. Then you don't have to worry about whether it melts properly.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#9 Old 11-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

??

The 'cheese sauce' above is only 9 ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes. But hey if you prefer a heavily processed pot noodle full of god knows what chemicals then be my guest

The entire recipe you posted has 32 ingredients, I'd rather have heavily processed and ready in 3 minutes

Pot Noodles haven't been nice since they took out all the MSG and chemicals though
#10 Old 11-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I've used this "cheese" recipe on pizza before, and it tastes great: Gooey chedda cheeze. The texture isn't really cheesy, but it does taste great over pizza sauce.
#11 Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

@MrFalafel what does the cheese taste like?

@RunnerVeggie I will try that cheese when I make pizza, I will try both and see what I prefer

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page