I tried Daiya... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Veggie Regular

...and I just didn't like it.

It wasn't horrible or anything - I actually liked the flavor of the mozzarella style, but the texture left a lot to be desired. I had it on pizza, and then on a baked potato, and both times once it melted, it had a really weird overly gooey texture. I guess it reminded me of a soft cheese like Brie - but that's not really what I want on a pizza. I do see why vegans would like it, as it is definitely reminiscent of cheese. I also really didn't like the cheddar flavor - it was way too bland. For me, mild cheddar might as well not exist - I like sharp all the way! Even "extra sharp" if it's available.

Anyone else just not a fan of Daiya? Are there other cheese substitutes that are better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

The first time I tried it was on grilled cheese at a cafe. I was gagging the whole time. The texture was like eating elmer's glue (although I've never eaten glue before I'd imagine that's exactly how it would taste). The cheese kept sticking to the roof of my mouth, my fingers and my teeth. It was so nasty and repulsive. I didn't want to give up on it since everyone was raving about it so I've had it several other times since then on pizza and sandwiches.

It's grown on me but definitely not my favorite. I think the trick is to use it very, very sparingly. Putting too much of it on anything just equals grossness imo. I'm also not fond of the fact that it doesn't seem to solidify in anyway and remains all melty and gooey no matter what. That kinda freaks me out for some reason.

I much prefer Teese or FYH over Daiya but won't turn down food made with Daiya as long as there's not an overwhelming amount used on them.
#3 Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

You have to use about half as much Daiya as you think you'd use cheese.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Banned

you are not alone, i find it un-edible and the smell is the worse part for me. i tried cooking with it myself, and also tried it at a restaurant that uses it and both times i couldn't eat more than 1 or 2 bites. it smells like plastic and is very sticky, i tried to wash it off of a pizza pan and it took forever.
#5 Old 11-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. I definitely had the "sticking to the roof of your mouth and teeth" experience that you had, fadeaway! It was less of an issue on the potato since I only used a sprinkle, but then it almost seemed to disappear once I took a bite. I didn't find it gross or anything (although I do have a pretty high tolerance for grossness), I was just really hoping it would be a delicious vegan substitute for cheese, because I really do like cheese.

I actually do really like some "cheesy" spreads like this gooey chedda cheeze - and it is nice on pizza but definitely not comparable to cheese in the texture department.
#6 Old 11-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

I don't like it either. I haven't tried the cheddar, but I really don't want to, anyways. I didn't even finish the bag of mozzarella I had, because there just wasn't anything I could think to put it on/in that would make it taste good. I was disappointed, too, because for a while there was a thread where people just raved and raved about it. I was hoping I'd love it too. ):

Teese has been my favorite since I first tried it. Especially the nacho sauce.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#7 Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

No you are not alone. I gave Daiya five chances before I decided it was just too gross. I haven't tried Teese. I do like Follow Your Heart cheeses.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 11-16-2010, 06:14 PM

Its pretty nasty and it always leaves my stomach feeling funky. Oh well, I was never a big pizza guy anyway.
#9 Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

I kinda thought it was like undercooked pizza crust, which got me to think - why not slightly underbake my pizza?
I liked it a lot on a walnut /apple chopped salad. I put it with the balsamic vinagrette dressing-sorta like blue cheese to me.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 11-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I just bought my first bag of Daiya mozzarella style cheese for making pizza tomorrow. Not sure what to expect so we'll see...
#11 Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

I just made my first Daiya grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup and LOVED it! It was everything I hoped for, the creaminess of the Daiya reminds me of Kraft singles like I had when I was a kid. I even tried a few pieces of Daiya straight out of the bag and liked it, I'm definitely a fan. Trying macaroni and cheese tomorrow...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#12 Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Banned

This thread has killed my desire to try Daiya
#13 Old 11-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

So, I gave daiya another shot on some nachos.. Gross. I'm definitely throwing the rest out. The flavor is not bad, but the texture creeps me out. And it seeped oil all over my chips and made them sort of soggy, which never happens with real cheese. No offense to anyone who likes it - it just won't work for me. Sad!
#14 Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Ira
Banned

I actually love it, including the texture. my only problem with it is that it takes so long to melt, but this i can survive
#15 Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried the mozzarella version on pizza and I did find the texture to be more gooey than real cheese, and it tasted nothing like mozzarella, but I actually liked it. I have a package of the cheddar variety in the fridge, I just haven't tried it yet. You do have to use a little less than you normally would for real cheese.

www.sharksavers.org
#16 Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm happy that there's another option! I'm also diggin' that my local Whole Foods makes vegan pizzas with it and on Sundays the whole pizza is only $10! I've brought these to many potlucks to show people that vegan pizza is good! So, I am grateful for Daiya. That said, i do know what people here are referencing when they talk about the texture thing. When there's too much on the pizza, it is plasticy-PlayDoh like in texture and is kinda nasty! Fortunately, for home use, that's never an issue as it's so expensive that I use it sparingly!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page