What to do with Seitan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I made a batch of Seitan originally intending on using a recipe from Vegan on the Cheap that has sauerkraut, tomatoes, mushrooms etc... but now that recipe isn't looking so appealing anymore, plus I realized I'm missing quite a few of the ingredients.

What are some of your favorite dishes to make with seitan? Do you think I could just fry up some seitan & sauerkraut or would that be bland or taste bad?

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

You could, or you could use the seitan and mushrooms and make salisbury seitan. Or you could make a nice hearty seitan stew by browning the seitan, adding the mushrooms, some onions, carrots, potatoes, and then add some broth, maybe some tomatoes, a bay leaf, some thyme, and thicken it with a corn starch slurry and serve it over noodles! Or serve with biscuits. Mmm... biscuits...

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#3 Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh the mushrooms are one of the ingredients that I am missing! (the store was out of button mushrooms and only had the really expensive variety so I skipped them) I went to the store specifically to get the ingredients for that recipe, left without everything I needed but still spent $85 on who knows what. Argh. The seitan recipe I used was yours from your how-to and I used the cheesecloth cooking method. So I've got some nice dense seitan and I don't know what I am going to use it for.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-08-2010, 10:50 AM
ami
Beginner

I love to fry it up in a little oil and soy sauce then add to rice with veggies. Look at pg. 85 in Vegan on the Cheap, you can slice your seitan and use it like the cutlets in her suggestions. Cut in thin strips, brown and make fajitas. However, Megan has me thinking biscuits....and gravy...oooooo, gravy! Google Tofu and Sprouts. She is part of the Vegan MoFo challenge and she is doing 30 days of gravy. Vegan Dad has a lot of seitan suggestions on his blog too.
#5 Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

seitan buffalo "wings"!

aaaaaand there's a yummy seitan jambalaya in veganomicon.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#6 Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

I second seitan buffalo "wings." I made them for the first time on Sunday and they came out fantastic. I also like to make fajitas and stir-fries with it. I've not yet tried a stew, but that sounds like a great idea.
#7 Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Chop it up and dump it in chili. The universal answer to "what should I do with ..."

I like chili.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#8 Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 AM

put it in the blender and then add mayo, and add to a sandwich....I've done that a few times....and it's sort of nice....sort of.

#9 Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay I will say that I would LOVE the seitan buffalo wing recipe if anyone has it!

As for the seitan I had, I ended up doing a few different things with it.

One night I just cut it up and dipped in ketsup! Haha. It was good!

The next night I put it in a skillet with some mushrooms, onions and a little bit of white wine - that was yummy,

and then last night I added it to spaghetti sauce along with some more sauteed mushrooms. (I LOVE sauteed mushrooms =)

And now the seitan is gone.

#10 Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I had some left over from another meal, so I cut it up, mixed it with linguine, added a hot and spicy sauce and heated it up in the microwave. Yummy!

I've just ordered 3.5 kgs of vital wheat gluten flour - enough to make 35 meals for 3/4 people, by my reckoning!! I'm looking forward to a lot more experimentation with it....
#11 Old 11-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

Okay I will say that I would LOVE the seitan buffalo wing recipe if anyone has it!

As for the seitan I had, I ended up doing a few different things with it.

One night I just cut it up and dipped in ketsup! Haha. It was good!

The next night I put it in a skillet with some mushrooms, onions and a little bit of white wine - that was yummy,

and then last night I added it to spaghetti sauce along with some more sauteed mushrooms. (I LOVE sauteed mushrooms =)

And now the seitan is gone.

http://thevoraciousvegan.blogspot.co...hot-wings.html

I was lazy and used a bottled buffalo wing sauce, but I made some vegan ranch to make up for it. omgggzzzz.

Maybe I'll make these again soon. I'm pretty much drooling thinking about it.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#12 Old 11-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

Here is the recipe I used:
http://thebloomingplatter.blogspot.c...eamy-blue.html

It's a bit time consuming, but soooo worth it.
#13 Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

http://thevoraciousvegan.blogspot.co...hot-wings.html

I was lazy and used a bottled buffalo wing sauce, but I made some vegan ranch to make up for it. omgggzzzz.

Maybe I'll make these again soon. I'm pretty much drooling thinking about it.

Creep have you ever made the Chicken Fried Seitan? It looks awesome, I want to try it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page