Teach me about seitan, please - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay so I got some new cookbooks and in the beginning, they talk about Seitan, and how it can either be bought as Vital Wheat Gluten and made at home, or you can buy it premade.

I've never purchased it (other than already made in to 'gyro meat' in the deli counter at my HFS) so where do I get the vital wheat gluten, and where do I find the prepared stuff?

And if I make it from vital wheat gluten at home, how do I do that?? And as for buying it prepared, what steps do I have to take when I make it at home?

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I just take equal parts water or broth and vital wheat gluten, mix it together and knead it for a minute or 2. Then I put that in liquid to just cover and simmer 50 minutes. Done. Now you can use your seitan to make "hamburger"
or anything else you want.
#3 Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Doesn't sound too hard, thanks. What part of the grocery store do you find it in? Also do you ever buy the prepared stuff and where is that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Here's my blog pictorial on seitan making: http://megatarian.blogspot.com/2008/...an-how-to.html
You can get vital wheat gluten at most health food stores or at baking suppliers. Premade seitan is also generally found in health food stores.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#5 Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Here's my blog pictorial on seitan making: http://megatarian.blogspot.com/2008/...an-how-to.html
You can get vital wheat gluten at most health food stores or at baking suppliers. Premade seitan is also generally found in health food stores.

Thanks! But what part of the store?

#6 Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

At my regular grocery store, vital wheat gluten is in the health food section. At Whole Foods, it's just with the baking supplies. I get this brand: http://www.bobsredmill.com/vital-wheat-gluten.html and just use the recipe on the package. My regular grocery store doesn't have premade seitan, but Whole Foods does. It's in their refrigerated section with the soy dogs, tofu, tempeh, etc.

This is my absolute faaavorite seitan recipe. I'm drooling just thinking about it!

Barbecue style seitan!

12 oz seitan
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup yellow mustard
3 Tbs dark brown sugar
1 Tbs molasses
2 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt

Combine everything except seitan in a pan, cook for 5 minutes. Add seitan and cook for 10 more minutes. It'll be very saucy! Serve on buns with pickles and coleslaw.
#7 Old 10-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

At my regular grocery store, vital wheat gluten is in the health food section. At Whole Foods, it's just with the baking supplies. I get this brand: http://www.bobsredmill.com/vital-wheat-gluten.html and just use the recipe on the package. My regular grocery store doesn't have premade seitan, but Whole Foods does. It's in their refrigerated section with the soy dogs, tofu, tempeh, etc.

This is my absolute faaavorite seitan recipe. I'm drooling just thinking about it!

Barbecue style seitan!

12 oz seitan
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup yellow mustard
3 Tbs dark brown sugar
1 Tbs molasses
2 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt

Combine everything except seitan in a pan, cook for 5 minutes. Add seitan and cook for 10 more minutes. It'll be very saucy! Serve on buns with pickles and coleslaw.

Wow thanks a ton! All very helpful!! I appreciate it!!!

#8 Old 10-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

My regular grocery store carries vital wheat gluten with the baking stuff - it's with the flour. Since we don't know where you shop, you can always just ask a store employee!

I've never made seitan myself. I've wanted to, but... meh. I mean, I like it SO much as Field Roast sausages, I'm afraid I won't be able to make anything that tastes remotely yummy.
#9 Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semicharmed View Post

My regular grocery store carries vital wheat gluten with the baking stuff - it's with the flour. Since we don't know where you shop, you can always just ask a store employee!

I've never made seitan myself. I've wanted to, but... meh. I mean, I like it SO much as Field Roast sausages, I'm afraid I won't be able to make anything that tastes remotely yummy.

You would think so, but the first time I tried buying Miso, I assumed it would be with the soy sauces, sea-veggies and other ethnic stuff at my health food store. I couldn't find it there so I asked and 2 different employees said if it wasn't in that section they must not have it. Later I find out that it's in the refrigerated section. Soooo I figured I'd be better off asking you folks who actually have bought it, than the employees at my HFS! Go figure!

#10 Old 10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Byerly's carries vital wheat gluten, at least in St Louis Park. I *believe* they shelve it with the flours (not sure because I shop there online). The primary markets for the stuff from a mainstream supermarket standpoint are bread machine users and people baking with low-gluten flours. Just a happy coincidence that some of us need it for seitan. It is slightly less expensive ordering it from Amazon. Couple brands available, I have used this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hodgson-Mill-G...6485109&sr=8-1

One thing to look out for, you want vital wheat gluten. With one exception that I know of, 'gluten flour' is something else. That exception being Bob's Red Mill Gluten Flour, which is vital wheat gluten according to reports from people who have used it.

A decent recipe from the PPK site: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=112

I never use the tomato paste, just because it is a hassle to work with. The last batch of seitan I made I tweaked the seasoning quite a bit, which is part of the fun of making this.

(Folks outside Minnesota just ignore the stuff about Byerlys.)

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#11 Old 10-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Byerly's carries vital wheat gluten, at least in St Louis Park. I *believe* they shelve it with the flours (not sure because I shop there online). The primary markets for the stuff from a mainstream supermarket standpoint are bread machine users and people baking with low-gluten flours. Just a happy coincidence that some of us need it for seitan. It is slightly less expensive ordering it from Amazon. Couple brands available, I have used this one: http://www.amazon.com/Hodgson-Mill-G...6485109&sr=8-1

One thing to look out for, you want vital wheat gluten. With one exception that I know of, 'gluten flour' is something else. That exception being Bob's Red Mill Gluten Flour, which is vital wheat gluten according to reports from people who have used it.

A decent recipe from the PPK site: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=112

I never use the tomato paste, just because it is a hassle to work with. The last batch of seitan I made I tweaked the seasoning quite a bit, which is part of the fun of making this.

(Folks outside Minnesota just ignore the stuff about Byerlys.)

Dave - I love that you're in MN and so helpful to me. I work downtown and live in the northern suburbs of Minneapolis. Nice to relate to a local/veteran while I am learning the ropes

I will also check out those recipes too. Thanks! I can't wait to make my first batch of seitan. I had some from the Wedge last night (it was premade in their deli case as 'gyro meat') and it was absolutely delicious!

#12 Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy it at my food co-op and it's in the bulk section with other flours. I feel like at the HFS near my parents house it is with flour and other baking things (it also costs, literally, 3X as much... so check bulk bins if they have 'em!).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

yes the coop is much cheaper than the prepackaged brand name product

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#14 Old 10-07-2010, 10:02 PM
ami
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

Doesn't sound too hard, thanks. What part of the grocery store do you find it in? Also do you ever buy the prepared stuff and where is that?

I buy Bob's Red Mill brand and there is usually a section somewhere in most stores...in my store it is in the organic/health food section. I use the seitan recipe in Vegetarian Family Cookbook. The stuff freezes really well. Also, check out the Vegan Dad website, he does a lot with seitan. And....it is much cheaper to make your own
#15 Old 10-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Folks interested in trying ready made seitan should check ethnic sections for canned mock duck. Around here Cub Foods (the dominant mainstream 'big' grocer) stocks cans in the ethnic foods aisle of most locations I've looked. The brand they carry is pictured in the wikipedia mock duck entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_duck
I've seen other brands on the net with oddly similar labels.

It is flavored so doesn't really play well as an ingredient. I just drown it in a prepared Indian sauce and pour it over rice.

#16 Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Folks interested in trying ready made seitan should check ethnic sections for canned mock duck. Around here Cub Foods (the dominant mainstream 'big' grocer) stocks cans in the ethnic foods aisle of most locations I've looked. The brand they carry is pictured in the wikipedia mock duck entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_duck
I've seen other brands on the net with oddly similar labels.

It is flavored so doesn't really play well as an ingredient. I just drown it in a prepared Indian sauce and pour it over rice.

Okay Dave I have to admit, the picture on that link looks disgusting and I dunno if I wanna try it now... lol... Plus I am going to Jasmine 26 for dinner next week and their menu has mock duck that I was thinking of trying and now might be afraid to :P Is it as scary as it looks?

#17 Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Is it as scary as it looks? \t\t\t\t\t\t

It is kinda ugly. My single favorite dish was curried mock duck for a long while (the thin sauced kind, not with a thick corn starchy sauce). I'm still terribly fond of it even though other things are favorites now. Also used to be able to get a nice filling kung pao mock dock just off I35,but that place closed years ago.

Dang, now I'm craving vietnamese ...

#18 Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Hi!

I am in the Twin Cities (East St. Paul but I work in WI). Does anyone know where to buy pre-made seitan in the East side of the Twin Cities? The only places I have looked so far is the Fresh and Natural in Hudson and Cub in Maplewood. Does Trader Joe's, Kowalski's, Byerly's, or Tailor Made Nutrition (in Woodbury) have seitan?
#19 Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post

Hi!

I am in the Twin Cities (East St. Paul but I work in WI). Does anyone know where to buy pre-made seitan in the East side of the Twin Cities? The only places I have looked so far is the Fresh and Natural in Hudson and Cub in Maplewood. Does Trader Joe's, Kowalski's, Byerly's, or Tailor Made Nutrition (in Woodbury) have seitan?

Cub & Byerly's won't have it. I'm surprised that Fresh & Natural didn't have it. I've never been to the one in Hudson but I frequent the one in Shoreview and they have it. Did you check by the tofu and Gimme Lean sausages and what not?

I am not sure about Trader Joes but I would guess they would have it. Otherwise if u can getahold of the vital wheat gluten (at cub or any co-op or natural food store) the tutorial provided by rabid_child is really easy to follow.

As for other places on the east side of the TC's I know there is a Whole Foods in St Paul and there's a co-op in Stillwater that would carry it and the Seward Co-Op.

#20 Old 12-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Thanks! My mom lives in Shoreview and that Fresh and Natural seems to be a lot bigger than the Hudson one. I will have too check out Whole Foods or make my own.
#21 Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

The Wedge in Uptown is another favorite store of mine to shop at. They often have seitan dishes in their deli case that are delicious. Plus a wide variety of other veg*n foods and organic produce. I've also heard good things about the Linden Hills co-op

#22 Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeitanWorship View Post

Barbecue style seitan!

12 oz seitan
2/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup yellow mustard
3 Tbs dark brown sugar
1 Tbs molasses
2 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt

Ok you got me on this one. I love bbq flavors and this sounds delish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page