How long are dried (but not dried any longer) beans okay? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

If I soak and cook a bunch of dried beans, like kidney or black beans, and then store 'em in my fridge, how long are they still good?

Soaking and cooking beans is a pain in the tuckus, I think, and I'd like to do a bunch at once so I can mix up stuff like burritos and chili all week long. But I'm not sure how long they stay fresh once they've been cooked...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

after 3 days or so, the quality dramatically declines... by the time you hit a week, they're usually rancid

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 02-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Why not just buy canned beans, less hassle and they last longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I just read this article about canned foods having some type of chemical in them from the lining of the can.... It was in Prevention magazine, I think. Plus, they're full of sodium. I rinse them, but they still taste processed to me.
#5 Old 02-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

i buy canned beans because i'm just that lazy... but one day i will do the soaking thing. i rinse them, hoping that a lot of the salt will come off.
#6 Old 02-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

i cook up a bunch of dried beans in my crockpot and then freeze them in smaller containers--this way i can take out only what i can use before they go bad.
#7 Old 02-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I like to freeze beans after they've been soaked, but before they're cooked. That way I don't have to remember the day before I make a bean dish that I need to soak the beans, I can just pull them out of the freezer and pop them in the pressure cooker. If you're cooking a lot of dried beans, you should consider investing in a pressure cooker. It makes cooking beans much easier and faster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page